Your Trade Target Wishlist

Dunt

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 08:19 AM)
Catcher is fine they upgrade DH and SS and Abreu turns back to normal.

How is catcher fine? Avila is one of the most embarrassing hitters I've seen in recent Sox history. It's June 5th and he has a total of 4 XBHs & 2 RBIs. He's K'ing at a 32.5% rate. Yes, he draws a lot of walks, but otherwise he is a complete burden to the lineup. Having a hitter like him in the lineup kills the production of the guys batting around him.

Then you got Navarro who is one the worst pitch framers in baseball. If he was actually providing offensive value, you could live with that weakness. Unfortunately, he's putting up a .614 OPS at the moment. And that's not going to change much if he continues facing a lot of RHP. The guy is a platoon catcher and right now we're able to use him appropriately because Avila is so fragile and bad.

Outside of getting a legit impact bat, catcher is our biggest hole and the spot that will really cost us if we don't address.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gomes, McCann/Salty, Perez...when healthy, all much better than our current combination. We just don't have much upside left to squeeze out.

Otoh, Gomes in CLE and McCann can and should play much better based on their past results and their ages. Gomes was excellent two years ago before his injury. That's about two less years since the last time Avila was feared by opposing pitchers.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 07:49 AM)
Why wouldn't JR authorize taking on the Braun contract?

And you're probably right that the Brewers wouldn't take that package, although I'd argue that the Sox taking on Braun's entire contract might be enticing to them. Back problems are always a concern and not having a DH spot as a backup option is pretty risky. Given how he's produced so far, I think they will be very motivated to move him while there a few teams still interested and willing to take a gamble on him.

1) Length and total dollars of contract, especially after adding Shields

2) PED/see Melky Cabrera 2015 season

3) Buying high on Braun when it wouldn't be warranted based on his last couple of seasons

4) We still need to prioritize finding a LH bat over RH

5) NL player going to AL often backfires, at least for Sox recently

6) Buying as high as we possibly can...last year, Brewers would have had to send money along with....now they can ask for good prospects and probably get them.

7) Braun's age the last couple of years of the deal are scary

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/...ing3/ryan-braun

Over the 3 prior seasons, Braun's a sub 800 OPS hitter against RHP. Very good against lefties, but that's not our biggest pressing issue.

Edited by caulfield12

Oh heck, just trade away every young player. Saladino is on the next train out of town, then any prospect other than Fulmer and Anderson. Bring in all of those Brewers and Rockies. We can watch home run derby in July. Ventura and Cooper will be on cloud nine with all of the proven veterans and no youth to hassle with.

And in a year, there will be a dispersal sale.

It didn't have to be this way.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
Oh heck, just trade away every young player. Saladino is on the next train out of town, then any prospect other than Fulmer and Anderson. Bring in all of those Brewers and Rockies. We can watch home run derby in July. Ventura and Cooper will be on cloud nine with all of the proven veterans and no youth to hassle with.

And in a year, there will be a dispersal sale.

It didn't have to be this way.

I wish I could give you crap for this post, but I'm starting to agree with you.

The Sox should absolutely go under a full rebuild, but it'll never happen. I guess Jerry is content with the same 75 win team every year.

• 2 weeks later...

Except it seems Robin is already reaching the end of his rope on trusting Coats...as he's already starting Avi over him defensively and also pulled him from the game after he was struggling mightily just to make contact, let alone put a ball into play.

I'll go with Pearce of the Rays as the best possible add right now...for the time being, and also future strengthening of our overall depth/bench. The way he's going right now, though, he would be a full-time line-up presence.

Edited by caulfield12

How times have changed. In 1997, the Sox were 3 1/2 games out in July and traded away vets for prospects, and some fans still haven't forgiven them for the "White Flag Trade". Now, on June 14th, the Sox are 3 1/2 games out, ironically behind the same team, although far less talented roster, and many fans want to blow the whole thing up.

Get another bat, and win the division.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 07:53 AM)
Except it seems Robin is already reaching the end of his rope on trusting Coats...as he's already starting Avi over him defensively and also pulled him from the game after he was struggling mightily just to make contact, let alone put a ball into play.

I'll go with Pearce of the Rays as the best possible add right now...for the time being, and also future strengthening of our overall depth/bench. The way he's going right now, though, he would be a full-time line-up presence.

I truly think as dumb as it sounds, that Avi is being showcased somehow. Ventura would give him multiple days off in a row at DH. Now he plays every day in the OF with a better defender on the bench. It really doesn't make any sense.

Were there three teams ahead of them in 1997, just in their own division? My recollection is that it was ONLY the Indians. Granted, they were a juggernaut offensively, but one superteam vs. three "decent/good" teams probably is a wash statistically, especially when said team's history of beating those teams head-to-head is close to abysmal in recent years.

It's not as clear-cut as some would make it seem, as going all-out for a "REAL" hitter means decimating the farm system...unless we're willing to accept a smaller but more logical piece that fits with the idea of supplementing our current roster while not having a significant impact on the team's ability to compete in the future.

And even if you could get Lucroy and Braun (Mil willing to deal them), it would take every legitimate prospect from our system to pull that one off. Not the kind of trade the White Sox have made since Wells/Fogg/Lowe for Ritchie or Reed/Morse/Olivo for Garcia.

Of course, back then, they had a LOT more depth in their minor league talent well.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 07:58 AM)
I truly think as dumb as it sounds, that Avi is being showcased somehow. Ventura would give him multiple days off in a row at DH. Now he plays every day in the OF with a better defender on the bench. It really doesn't make any sense.

I totally agree. I'm thinking Cincinatti wants to see him in the field.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 06:58 AM)

Knowing his flaws as well as we do, why would a team like the Brewers (just an example, could be the Rockies, same applies) want Avi Garcia?

They already added Domingo Santana from the Astros, and you'd think they would be quite wary because Garcia would HAVE to play RF/LF for them...and that outfield's even bigger than USCF, so even more opportunities for miscues.

The Rockies have Blackmon, Parra and then they're going to have to move Story probably to the outfield to make way for an even better SS prospect coming up in the future.

I could see a trade for someone like Jake Marisnick or Tucker (the older one) or, God forbid, Carlos Gomez, but it's not going to be part of a blockbuster, IMO. I doubt Rasmus would go for Avi Garcia either, unless they just completely throw in the towel on competing this year.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 07:47 AM)
They don't have to though. They can just play Coats in RF

As much as I wanted to see him up here, I dont think there is any way you can keep running Coats out there. He is devoid of any approach at all and you are just throwing away those ABs. Im not sure where the relief is going to be coming from as there isn't really any reasonable replacements in the minors. If Engel was in AAA, I'd maybe think about giving him a chance, but he's too far away still.

If Im Rick Hahn, Im looking to upgrade 3 areas: RP, DH, and CF. I think this team can stick around long enough to wait for Burdi to come up and contribute, so I'd put less priority on RP. DH has been a black hole of awful and is the most immediate area of need. I hate to even say it, but Jay Bruce would look really good on this team right now....if he never had to field again. His defensive metrics make Avi's look decent. If his price is too steep, then I go ask the Rays about the price on Pearce. He is absolutely mashing this season and allows you a lot of flexibility as a franchise. Im not sure there is a quick solution to our CF problems, there isn't a lot out there right now that would be better than just moving Eaton back over. Jon Jay? Billy Hamilton?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
As much as I wanted to see him up here, I dont think there is any way you can keep running Coats out there. He is devoid of any approach at all and you are just throwing away those ABs. Im not sure where the relief is going to be coming from as there isn't really any reasonable replacements in the minors. If Engel was in AAA, I'd maybe think about giving him a chance, but he's too far away still.

If Im Rick Hahn, Im looking to upgrade 3 areas: RP, DH, and CF. I think this team can stick around long enough to wait for Burdi to come up and contribute, so I'd put less priority on RP. DH has been a black hole of awful and is the most immediate area of need. I hate to even say it, but Jay Bruce would look really good on this team right now....if he never had to field again. His defensive metrics make Avi's look decent. If his price is too steep, then I go ask the Rays about the price on Pearce. He is absolutely mashing this season and allows you a lot of flexibility as a franchise. Im not sure there is a quick solution to our CF problems, there isn't a lot out there right now that would be better than just moving Eaton back over. Jon Jay? Billy Hamilton?

Yep. Jay Bruce, Jon Jay, and Will Smith would be awesome.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
Rosenthal's piece today said that the White Sox have always loved Jonathan Lucroy but that they probably don't have enough in their system to get it done.

Sure they do. They just don't want to give up all that talent.

There's a difference between not having enough talent to get a deal done as opposed to not wanting to deal said talent.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)

Maybe, but Avi leade the White Sox in batting average w runners in scoring position. He is hitting .375. That is clutch.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
Sure they do. They just don't want to give up all that talent.

There's a difference between not having enough talent to get a deal done as opposed to not wanting to deal said talent.

They may have enough but it would hurt us while another team could potentially beat our offer and take less of a hit o their system.