Sox sign Justin Morneau

Jose Abreu

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
Can't wait.

It will be interesting. He claimed he was hurting every swing last year. I just wonder how effective he will be. I don't honk he will be average. I think he will either be a huge bargain or suck beyond belief.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 05:19 PM)
It will be interesting. He claimed he was hurting every swing last year. I just wonder how effective he will be. I don't honk he will be average. I think he will either be a huge bargain or suck beyond belief.

Is he expected to be able to play 1B or are they looking at him as strictly a DH? I would definitely like to see him play a lot of 1B with the Sox if he is able. Give Abreu as much chance as possible to rest his feet, plus Abreu isn't so good at 1B anyway.

With all those concussions, there's just no way they could put him out in the field without a helmet.

He was never a good 1B with the Twins. They much preferred to use Mientkiewicz over there and DH Morneau.

Speaking of the Twins, his next double (#400) will make AJ Pierzynski only the 4th catcher in baseball history to put up 400 doubles. Pretty amazing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 07:04 PM)
With all those concussions, there's just no way they could put him out in the field without a helmet.

He was never a good 1B with the Twins. They much preferred to use Mientkiewicz over there and DH Morneau.

Speaking of the Twins, his next double (#400) will make AJ Pierzynski only the 4th catcher in baseball history to put up 400 doubles. Pretty amazing.

They played 1 season together, and not a full one. Morneau can play 1B . He has been in the NL recently.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 09:37 PM)
The greatest first baseman in White Sox history wore a helmet in the field.

Um...Frank was still playing first when he got his two MVPs and was a monstrous hitters. That's if we're just going by individual seasons. If tenure is considered, it's Paulie.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 07:37 PM)
The greatest first baseman in White Sox history wore a helmet in the field.

And Olerud, I know.

But it's not ideal. And Morneau was never a plus defender at that position, at least not after all the injuries started to take their toll. He was adequate.

As Justin Morneau gets set for a minor league rehab stint next week, Ventura likes what he sees of the left-handed hitting designated hitter/first baseman taking batting practice with the team.

“From the injury he’s had [elbow surgery] it’s nice to see that he’s free and easy,’’ Ventura said. “The first couple of times that he hit you could tell he was a little unsure about letting it go. Right now he’s letting it go where you don’t see that hesitation or tentativeness, which is another reason why it’s safe to let him go out next week and let it rip and see where he’s at.

“The way he’s swinging, it’s nice to see. It’s exciting.’’

suntimes.com/sports

Just DH him. Hopefully he can be better than Avi and that upgrades that spot. If not, you can DH Melky and add an OF bat. The problem is this lineup needs another bat quickly. Hopefully they have a deal or two in the works for the bullpen and a bat. See how Morneau does first after the break.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
Same. 10-4 in our last 14 is nice, but the offense won't keep producing at this level. I think he will help us out

I was calling for the Sox to sign him while he was rehabbing to beat other teams to the punch. Chicago isn't Colorado but he's shown enough hitting ability away from Coors the last 2 years to lead me to believe he can be a key contributor. Still need a guy like Reddick though since Morneau would have to be on the bench in World Series games without a DH. The Sox are still too right handed when they have to resort to using Avila and Navarro in the same lineup.

Navarro was only hitting .182 with a 619 ops against lefties in 50+ ab's, although that should be higher after today.

.239 and 667 OPS vs. RHP. (675 overall now)

Avila at 706 vs. RHP with a 228 average...just 7 AB's vs. lefties.

That's at least workable now.

One of the main reasons we're only 10th (still, after today) in the AL in runs scored is Avi Garcia. They need to be in that 7-9 range of having close to an "average" offense if they want to have a real shot at the Wild Card.

Tim Anderson at 833 vs. Garcia at 650 is embarrassing.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
Navarro was only hitting .182 with a 619 ops against lefties in 50+ ab's, although that should be higher after today.

.239 and 667 OPS vs. RHP. (675 overall now)

Avila at 706 vs. RHP with a 228 average...just 7 AB's vs. lefties.

That's at least workable now.

One of the main reasons we're only 10th (still, after today) in the AL in runs scored is Avi Garcia. They need to be in that 7-9 range of having close to an "average" offense if they want to have a real shot at the Wild Card.

Tim Anderson at 833 vs. Garcia at 650 is embarrassing.

Avi is just being Avi. But Abreu isn't being Abreu nor is Frazier being Frazier at least as far as having a better batting average and OBP to contribute to keeping the line moving. When your 3/4 combo is underachieving that hurts worse then the guy who was supposed to be a bench warmer or back in the minors and hits 8th .

Maybe if LaRoche had just retired earlier the Sox would've pursued another bat more aggressively. Now that we see who was available and having a good year so far we can say the FO failed . Trumbo, Daniel Murphy and your favorite Ian Desmond were all acquired for a relative pittance compared to the big boys the Sox spend so much wasted effort pursuing.

You have also pointed out in the past the circumstances that have kept Avi in the lineup written about in the recent SSS article.