2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
Noah is probably the most overrated Bulls player ever, right? I mean he was a fan favorite but he always made a lot of coin for what he provided.

Those two years where Rose was out, Noah put the team on his back. Those teams had no business finishing where they did. Noah was, when healthy, one of, if not, the best center in the league (please note, part of that is because the league doesn't have many quality centers). Star defender, excellent rebounder and excellent passing big men (one of the best ever). Yes, outside of his passing, the rest of his offensive game was weak.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Well, you can only move down a couple spots from where you picked. For example, I think if you had the worse record, you can't pick lower than like 3 or something.

3 spots lower.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
Noah is probably the most overrated Bulls player ever, right? I mean he was a fan favorite but he always made a lot of coin for what he provided.

This is so hilariously false.

He was underpaid on his last contract when he signed it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Those two years where Rose was out, Noah put the team on his back. Those teams had no business finishing where they did. Noah was, when healthy, one of, if not, the best center in the league (please note, part of that is because the league doesn't have many quality centers). Star defender, excellent rebounder and excellent passing big men (one of the best ever). Yes, outside of his passing, the rest of his offensive game was weak.

Jo used to be good at FTs as well. And he would always bust out a 20+ point game every now and then when he was rolling.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
3 spots lower.

This is so hilariously false.

He was underpaid on his last contract when he signed it.

He's a great passer and energy guy. I don't like paying guys $10 million that can't score though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)

He is a great passer. How many supposed Defensive Players of the Year got worked by Nene in the playoffs though?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 09:16 AM)

Noah finished 4th in MVP voting in 13-14. His body really started to breakdown after that season, but to say that he was that overrated, at a minimum, ignores his 13-14 season (where we can all agree he wasn't great in the playoffs).

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
He is a great passer. How many supposed Defensive Players of the Year got worked by Nene in the playoffs though?

He is was on a knee that had surgery immediately after and ruined his career. Kind of an important part of that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)

That would be reserved for Mirotic on this board.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)

Personally, I think there is a correlation between Noah struggling/injured and the Bulls not making the playoffs. He did a lot of little things that don't count in box scores

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
I'm kind of in the same boat, which is nuts. I'm going to be rooting so hard for the twolves and any former Bulls next year because I despise garpax so much.

Yep. I am rooting for the Twolves and I cannot wait for them to curb stomp the bulls twice this upcoming season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
That would be reserved for Mirotic on this board.

He gets plenty of hate after the sophomore season.

If I had to ACTUALLY think about it, I'd say Kyle Korver might be most overrated during/after his tenure. I say this as a big Korver fan.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
Noah won a DPOY. There is no season of his career in which he was the best defensive player in the NBA. He has the award though.

And he deserved it. Roy Hibbert was the early/heavy favorite but forgot how to basketball after the all-star break.

Gar gets a lot of crap and deservedly so, the question I have is for Paxson fans. What has he done other than get unbelievably lucky in the lottery once that shows you he can build a championship contender team? The only disaster I can think of was the Tyrus Thomas trade. Maybe making Gar the GM was bad, maybe some of his coaching choices. He's made several good moves. Buying Deng, signed some lower level free agents, Ben Gordon was fun for a while. but even then, the team simply wasn't good enough.

IMO, he's well spoken, seems like he would or should know what he's doing, but the body of work screams otherwise.

The JR loyalty is well know, but the Bulls have had no problem firing coaches over the years including a guy like Cartwright who has to be considered a friends and family member. It seems it all stops there.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
And he deserved it. Roy Hibbert was the early/heavy favorite but forgot how to basketball after the all-star break.

The system also demanded he play way out and often take on quicker guards off the roll. He didn't get to just sit back and be a free safety for blocks and rebounds. He was amazing that year. Unfortunately his knee was a bum that last 2 weeks of the season and playoffs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
Noah has been my favorite Bull for quite a while. I am going to be really sad to see him in another jersey.

This. That '09 playoff series against the Celtics probably locked it in for me. There has never been a player that I hated so much and then loved so much in sports. I could not stand Noah when he was at Florida (even though we beat them every year in the regular season, they still won those titles). Then a few years later he became, by far, my favorite Bull.

That said, there's no way I'd want him back on the Bulls for the money he's going to get. If we were a legit contender, sure. But not as this team is constructed.