Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What's the benefits part? I've never heard that every team just has an extra $15 million tacked on for that tax? Can you elaborate?

Yes. I don’t know the exact figure but is around $15 million for ipension, health care etc. every team is charged the same. Cots estimated it was around &13.5 million in 2017.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Are you asking what benefits are?

Yeah, is that a line item that every team just has to account for under their luxury tax calculation number? It doesn't seem to show up in the total that the Red Sox had to pay for last year - their payroll was $230, their tax number came in at $237 because of a couple contracts that are back loaded?

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They don't have many contracts that balloon other than Joe Kelly, their payroll before Homer Bailey comes in is at $158 million, add in a couple extra million for Kelly and Bailey's contract and I get into the mid $180s, but I don't know what the "Benefits" DA just referred to is?

I didn't know that benefits were factored into the luxury tax number either.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The dodgers came in just under the tax last year and their adjusted payroll was $199 million without counting benefits. Is that a new rule for this year?

I don’t think that adjusted salary is for luxury tax purposes.  The adjustments appear to prorate for acquisitions (partial seasons) and/or cash received in trades.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think that adjusted salary is for luxury tax purposes.  The adjustments appear to prorate for acquisitions (partial seasons) and/or cash received in trades.

I'm just saying - if there was an extra $15 million in there, and their payroll was $199 million counting all the prorations and trades and everything else, then their number would have been way above the tax line. If the tax line counted an extra $15 million in pension and insurance costs and the Dodgers had a payroll of $199 million, they'd have been way over the tax line that was $200 million last year. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm just saying - if there was an extra $15 million in there, and their payroll was $199 million counting all the prorations and trades and everything else, then their number would have been way above the tax line. If the tax line counted an extra $15 million in pension and insurance costs and the Dodgers had a payroll of $199 million, they'd have been way over the tax line that was $200 million last year. 

Sure, but the $199M wasn’t their luxury tax payroll so you can’t really jump to any of these conclusions.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This might help you out.  Looks like $14M of benefits included in total payroll:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.truebluela.com/platform/amp/2018/3/29/17150586/dodgers-opening-day-payroll-luxury-tax

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, fathom said:

I think still carl and Cat get their info from the same person

I know Carl personally. Last I spoke with him, he was predicting the Sox would sign Harper. Then soon thereafter he started the "Harper supposedly really wants to sign with the Cubs and will wait for them to move salary" stuff, so who knows if he has a legit source for this or if he was given bad info purposefully to drive up the cost for the Sox or something. He was realistic with me that the Cubs had no realistic way of signing Harper without moving Bryant, and said if it was up to him, he'd trade Bryant because he won't resign with the Cubs.

3 hours ago, Roughneck said:

I know Carl personally. Last I spoke with him, he was predicting the Sox would sign Harper. Then soon thereafter he started the "Harper supposedly really wants to sign with the Cubs and will wait for them to move salary" stuff, so who knows if he has a legit source for this or if he was given bad info purposefully to drive up the cost for the Sox or something. He was realistic with me that the Cubs had no realistic way of signing Harper without moving Bryant, and said if it was up to him, he'd trade Bryant because he won't resign with the Cubs.

I thought that Harper's motivation for his alleged interest in the Cubs, was that it would afford him the opportunity to play with his best friend. The Cubs moving Bryant would defeat that purpose. Moreover, if the Cubs acquired Harper, why wouldn't Bryant want to resign with them?

Edited by Lillian

48 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I thought that Harper's motivation for his alleged interest in the Cubs, was that it would afford him the opportunity to play with his best friend. The Cubs moving Bryant would defeat that purpose. Moreover, if the Cubs acquired Harper, why wouldn't Bryant want to resign with them?

Well, that would push out Rizzo, Baez and Contreras, for one thing.   And you’d think they need one smaller deal for Hendricks, because who knows what they get from Darvish and Lester/Q are likely on the way out eventually.

They really are going to have a tough choice between Baez and Bryant...they can’t afford all three.  It’s all going to depend on Bryant returning to MVP form, and we know how well these 8-10 year deals typically work out when the majority of those seasons are in a player’s thirties.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, that would push out Rizzo, Baez and Contreras, for one thing.   And you’d think they need one smaller deal for Hendricks, because who knows what they get from Darvish and Lester/Q are likely on the way out eventually.

They really are going to have a tough choice between Baez and Bryant...they can’t afford all three.  It’s all going to depend on Bryant returning to MVP form, and we know how well these 8-10 year deals typically work out when the majority of those seasons are in a player’s thirties.

If the Cubs intend to not resign Bryant and they make that clear to Harper, then Bryce would very likely not want to go there.

9 hours ago, Lillian said:

Remember the Cubs kept Bryant down well past he was ready. It was more glaring than the Sox have done with Eloy, and it was a national story. The Players Union filed a grievance over it. Bryant said something along the lines of "I'll remember that when it comes time for free agency." He might like playing for the Cubs and winning, but Bryant isn't going to sign an extension or give the Cubs a hometown discount. He will absolutely take the best offer, even if that means leaving. If the Cubs have $40 mil a year locked up in Harper, along with Baez, Rizzo, etc, it makes it much less likely they could afford Bryant. So Harper signing with the Cubs would mean he gets to play with his friend for 3 years (if that actually is the priority the media makes it out to be), but it would also almost guarantee that Bryant is playing elsewhere in 2022.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils