Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bmags

2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I don't think Zach will net you a boatload of picks that will be all that valuable.

I'd much rather hear they sign him to an extension at this point.

He's not going to be worth what he wants to get paid so get what you can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's not going to be worth what he wants to get paid so get what you can. 

He's also worth more than some late round firsts. Event at a max deal he isn't really keeping you from adding, at worst he's a matching contract. The only team that has assets and could be in an adding mode is NOLA, and they'd go after Beal first, and it's not clear that what that team is missing is a Lavine type over just having Ingram and Zion actually try on defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's also worth more than some late round firsts. Event at a max deal he isn't really keeping you from adding, at worst he's a matching contract. The only team that has assets and could be in an adding mode is NOLA, and they'd go after Beal first, and it's not clear that what that team is missing is a Lavine type over just having Ingram and Zion actually try on defense.

This entirely - I don't want a bunch of lottery protected late round 1sts.  Not helpful / not useful.  Not for someone of Lavine's caliber.  No thank you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's also worth more than some late round firsts. Event at a max deal he isn't really keeping you from adding, at worst he's a matching contract. The only team that has assets and could be in an adding mode is NOLA, and they'd go after Beal first, and it's not clear that what that team is missing is a Lavine type over just having Ingram and Zion actually try on defense.

The Pelicans actually need depth.  That bench is horrendous.  That should be their biggest priority along with getting their young guys to buy in on D. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

The Pelicans actually need depth.  That bench is horrendous.  That should be their biggest priority along with getting their young guys to buy in on D. 

Are the Pelicans the new Timberwolves? The young team full of promising players that just can't find the mix around them and constantly underachieve? 

They have all that capital, but you look at what Memphis has done getting players around Ja and JJJ. It's so hard in NBA though, I thought the Lakers depth last year would be awful, but put guys that buy in as role players around true stars and they can be way better. Is Beal + Zion + Ingram enough to drag it all up? I don't know, not until zion starts playing some freaking defense. 

Makes you respect how hard it is. Sacramento, Minnesota, Phoenix, MEM, NoLa, Philly, Boston, all recent teams with different levels of a few good young players. Phx, Philly, Boston made that next step. SAC/MN/Nola really really struggling to find the mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

 

Thibs is loyal to his former Bulls.  He's done a nice job with Knicks - #6 rated defense and some semblance of a real basketball squad. Thibs has his issues - but he is an excellent head coach.  Sustainable HC - maybe debatable - but from a pure x's & o's & overall coaching perspective....he's so darn good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lauri out 2-4 weeks with his shoulder sprain. 

I'd let PWILL try out the 4 more with Temple at the 3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmags said:

He's also worth more than some late round firsts. Event at a max deal he isn't really keeping you from adding, at worst he's a matching contract. The only team that has assets and could be in an adding mode is NOLA, and they'd go after Beal first, and it's not clear that what that team is missing is a Lavine type over just having Ingram and Zion actually try on defense.

Are you sure he doesn't prevent them from adding? 

I've come around to being ok with Markkanen being gone because while he's a #2 option when healthy, he always misses 20 games every year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Are you sure he doesn't prevent them from adding? 

I've come around to being ok with Markkanen being gone because while he's a #2 option when healthy, he always misses 20 games every year. 

He's also not a #2 on any good team. Maybe a #3 though.  But if Lauri is your robin to batman - you have big problems. He is a skilled big, but he is also flawed.  His ability to stay on the court is another issue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

He's also not a #2 on any good team. Maybe a #3 though.  But if Lauri is your robin to batman - you have big problems. He is a skilled big, but he is also flawed.  His ability to stay on the court is another issue.  

The big issues with Markkanen are that he brings nothing but offense and can't stay healthy. He's a tweener where he's not good enough to be a 2nd option on a good team but too good to be a 3rd option. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bmags said:

He's also worth more than some late round firsts. Event at a max deal he isn't really keeping you from adding, at worst he's a matching contract. The only team that has assets and could be in an adding mode is NOLA, and they'd go after Beal first, and it's not clear that what that team is missing is a Lavine type over just having Ingram and Zion actually try on defense.

 

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This entirely - I don't want a bunch of lottery protected late round 1sts.  Not helpful / not useful.  Not for someone of Lavine's caliber.  No thank you.  

Ok, I'll be the one to say it. LaVine isn't worth more than a couple lottery protected picks, and if the Bulls get that for him they should take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

 

Ok, I'll be the one to say it. LaVine isn't worth more than a couple lottery protected picks, and if the Bulls get that for him they should take it.

And that puts the bulls in a better position how

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

 

Ok, I'll be the one to say it. LaVine isn't worth more than a couple lottery protected picks, and if the Bulls get that for him they should take it.

Why would I do that? I don't understand? So I have cap space and non lottery draft picks?  To do what - sign free agents or acquire a disgruntled star? How am I going to do that - when I don't have a decent team.

If anything - if I were running a franchise - the sole goal should be to build a team that can make the playoffs with maximum roster, cap and draft asset flexibility so that I can consistently and agily pivot to attract super star x.  Its why I don't sign Mark - that is a deal I probably can't move from. But Lavine - if I could I'd sign him - his contract is totally reasonable as a strong #2 in time and if somehow a better option opens up - I can move a guy like Lavine for something better or to pivot another way.  

No one is going to come to the Bulls as a big time signing if the Bulls aren't already a playoff team.  Not going to happen, whether it is via trade or free agency.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Why would I do that? I don't understand? So I have cap space and non lottery draft picks?  To do what - sign free agents or acquire a disgruntled star? How am I going to do that - when I don't have a decent team.

If anything - if I were running a franchise - the sole goal should be to build a team that can make the playoffs with maximum roster, cap and draft asset flexibility so that I can consistently and agily pivot to attract super star x.  Its why I don't sign Mark - that is a deal I probably can't move from. But Lavine - if I could I'd sign him - his contract is totally reasonable as a strong #2 in time and if somehow a better option opens up - I can move a guy like Lavine for something better or to pivot another way.  

No one is going to come to the Bulls as a big time signing if the Bulls aren't already a playoff team.  Not going to happen, whether it is via trade or free agency.   

I hate to break it to you, but I don't think anyone is coming to the Bulls as a big time signing regardless of whether or not they're a playoff team.

They're no different than the Timberwolves in that regard. They're going to have to get their stars through the draft. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Why would I do that? I don't understand? So I have cap space and non lottery draft picks?  To do what - sign free agents or acquire a disgruntled star? How am I going to do that - when I don't have a decent team.

If anything - if I were running a franchise - the sole goal should be to build a team that can make the playoffs with maximum roster, cap and draft asset flexibility so that I can consistently and agily pivot to attract super star x.  Its why I don't sign Mark - that is a deal I probably can't move from. But Lavine - if I could I'd sign him - his contract is totally reasonable as a strong #2 in time and if somehow a better option opens up - I can move a guy like Lavine for something better or to pivot another way.  

No one is going to come to the Bulls as a big time signing if the Bulls aren't already a playoff team.  Not going to happen, whether it is via trade or free agency.   

Even if the Bulls have to overpay LaVine it may be the only way to move forward. At some point you have to prove to FA's and other star players that you are a team that will pay top dollar. 

I was pretty hard on LaVine prior to this year, but he is playing at a different level. He is the type of guy you can take a risk on. He is only 25. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Even if the Bulls have to overpay LaVine it may be the only way to move forward. At some point you have to prove to FA's and other star players that you are a team that will pay top dollar. 

I was pretty hard on LaVine prior to this year, but he is playing at a different level. He is the type of guy you can take a risk on. He is only 25. 

Same.  He’s legit.  Never thought I’d say that.  He’s really good.  
 

Still jacks up a few hero balls tho...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Still jacks up a few hero balls tho...

And his shit turnovers. And his decision making. But I will give him credit he isn't the defensive sieve he once was.

Btw, maybe Donovan needs to let White or someone else take the game winning shots. LaVine 9/10 times usually doesn't make them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

And his shit turnovers. And his decision making. But I will give him credit he isn't the defensive sieve he once was.

Btw, maybe Donovan needs to let White or someone else take the game winning shots. LaVine 9/10 times usually doesn't make them.

Or - maybe they need to put a better roster around Lavine.  I mean just look at what happens late in games - the rest of the team completely disengages and forces it to be Lavine vs. the world.  Odds are just pathetic. Also - if you are an opposing D - what would you do - you are going to totally squeeze and pressure Lavine.  

White is a train-wreck with the ball late in games and outside of Lauri / Porter Jr (both of whom are out hurt) everyone else is totally scared (White isn't scared - but he also isn't good - to your point - maybe he's a better shot than a triple teamed Lavine).  Wasn't Lavine's most efficient game - but I have a hard time getting that upset at the guy who had 35 points on the night - albeit a less efficient 35 than the team has been used to.

Put some real talent around him and just imagine how tough Lavine would be to stop in a late game situation where a team couldn't completely collapse on him (like it can with the current roster out there).  When you put it that way - it is kind of incredible how efficient Lavine's season has been.

PS: Not downplaying what a terrible loss this is - but just like past years - this roster can't stay healthy.  You just can't build around the fragility of Lauri/WCJ. We all know Porter Jr. is super fragile too - so no surprise there and I expect none of those 3 will be part of the roster in a year, probably not even by the time we get to the trade deadline.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Or - maybe they need to put a better roster around Lavine.  I mean just look at what happens late in games - the rest of the team completely disengages and forces it to be Lavine vs. the world.  Odds are just pathetic. 

Or maybe LaVine forces it to be him vs the world.... Thaddeus Young had to talk to him at the end of their last game because he was wide open in the paint and LaVine didn't look his way and forced up a shot. Let's not act like his decision making/basketball I.Q. is good. I will say having a PG who can have the ball in his hands down the stretch will definitely help this team.. which they desperately need. But I still don't think that will fully stop LaVine from the hero ball antics either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Or maybe LaVine forces it to be him vs the world.... Thaddeus Young had to talk to him at the end of their last game because he was wide open in the paint and LaVine didn't look his way and forced up a shot. Let's not act like his decision making/basketball I.Q. is good. I will say having a PG who can have the ball in his hands down the stretch will definitely help this team.. which they desperately need. But I still don't think that will fully stop LaVine from the hero ball antics either.

No - but you continue to beat a dead horse vs recognize fact that he has been a significantly improved playmaker this year. Can he get better yes...but I think the beat the dead horse narrative is just ignorant and for every game this happens he also has been clutch late in many of their wins and has been consistently real good in almost every game. His offensive efficiency has been so solid and this is with a flawed roster. 

I can only imagine what said efficiency would look like if he had any sort of other player who could create and ball handle. 
 

For years everyone has this easy view on Lavine and never appreciates how much he has grown every freaking year. If you watch other teams feeds - you consistently here the other teams announcers just rave about him. 
 

I should point out - I am not denying some truth to your statement but close games - this team locks clamps up and just expects Lavine to do things and now more than ever. Lavine and Billy D need to figure out a way to fix it but I’m afraid overall roster talent is an issue too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if the team had a reliable second ball handler the end of games wouldn't rely on Lavine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you guys imagine how everything would look right now if GarPax soldiered on?   Boylen would probably have 10 games where he blew all of his timeouts 2 minutes into the 4th quarter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bmags said:

Maybe if the team had a reliable second ball handler the end of games wouldn't rely on Lavine.

I can't wait for the Lonzo Ball trade. He's going to make the rest of the roster look so much better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×