Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Job Hunt Thread
QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:33 PM) No decision has been made yet and I don't really want to get into the specifics of the situation. But I would primarily be helping out at training camp & doing less work in the office. If I did stay around, maybe their perceptions would think even more highly of me but it sounds like I am getting contacts and a recommendation regardless. Not knowing the situations, sticking around would go a huge way. Plus getting to see the way a training camp is ran would be pretty cool and could be very beneficial in your future experience if you work in PR in sports. You could learn stuff at this training camp that you could apply during future spring trainings, etc.
-
High blood pressure
I believe sometimes High BP can be purely genetic as well. You might be healthy in all other areas, but still have high blood pressure. You also will want to check your blood pressure pretty regularly as you get on the medicine to get a better read. When I had my last physical, my doctor diagnosed me with high blood pressure (140/85). Obviously that isn't ridiculously high, but it was high. I went home and took a reading and I was 115/75, which is pretty darn normal. Never took the medication as the more I checked myself, the more I realized my high BP has to do with my massive fear of hospitals/doctors/etc. I step foot into one of those places and my heart just races. Doctor than checked me at my next physical, but waited till the end, when I had calmed down, and got a pretty normal reading. But it is important to make sure you take the appropriate medication and stay on top of it because high blood pressure can be a very serious problem, but it also seems to be something that a huge amount of the population has.
-
Quentin sought after by BOS
I think no matter what, if Quentin & Danks stay, the Sox are going to do whatever they can to move those guys as part of the retooling process. Maybe they'll offer extensions to both, I think they will at least try with Danks again, prior to trying a trade. I also think the club will see how creative they can get with Rios over the off-season. See if another team likes him and has a bad contract that the Sox wouldn't mind taking on.
-
Quentin sought after by BOS
QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 01:01 PM) Jayson Stark An exec of one team that kicked tires on Carlos Quentin says he thinks #WhiteSox just laying groundwork to deal him this winter #trades Best case scenario, DeAza produces and the Sox can move Quentin for another outfielder and other prospects and you have an outfield of prospect, DeAza, Viciedo. Than in the wings you have Mitchell, Thompson, and Walker.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:57 PM) They're both overpaid, past their prime, possession receivers. I don't know if Williams is past his prime or not. He went to a place where he wasn't the #1 option and at times was more the #3 option. With that he got lackadasical and his play and statistics suffered. In Chicago, it will be a completely different scenario. He will be the #1 wide-out, although Knox/Hester/Bennett will still get a lot of playing time, but Williams is the only one with his size/stature. Williams isn't old or out of his prime. I really think the big reason his play/stats suffered had to do with him being soft mentally and not getting the love in big D. I don't think that will be the case in Chicago cause there is just no way the Bears offense isn't heavily built around him. Plus, he should be able to adjust relatively quickly and learn the system soon, which will be great. I really like this move, but I've always liked Roy. And I have always felt the Bears needed a guy with this type of talent a top our wide receiving corps.
-
Tigers Looking for SP
I wonder if Kenny would get involved in something like this. He loves making big splashes and if he thought Danks was a goner, he could swing Danks for prospects and than potentially turn around and add a cost controlled front of the rotation pitcher like Jimenez to the team. Clearly the price would be astronomical, but sometimes Kenny does crazy things and rolls the dice. I still think there is absolutely no way that Jimenez is moved though.
-
Quentin sought after by BOS
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:52 PM) The Phillies and Braves will absolutely refuse to help the other out. That is probably the case, but they both are working to get into the playoffs. As long as each team thinks they get the better fit, whose to say it doesn't work out. Stranger things have happened. I still think the most realistic scenario is one where the Sox get Brown plus a prospect. The Sox can than try to swing some sort of deal involving Rios (with cash included) and can than plug Brown & Viciedo into the OF with Pierre. Clearly, over the short-run, this is a downgraded outfield. But the Sox can than make a deal to add a bat at 3B or somewhere else all while retooling multiple areas of the club and creating a lot more financial flexibility going forward.
-
Quentin sought after by BOS
QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:51 PM) Ugh, that'd be an awful trade for the Sox for both the present and future. Why do you say that. Bourn is in his prime and has put up pretty respectable leadoff numbers and plays good defense. And clearly the Sox are going to need a top of the order hitter as they don't have any that profile in the system/currently on the club. On top of that you get another good prospect or two back. Not saying it is the preferred approach but who knows if it is realistic to expect a package of Brown plus another top prospect from the Phillies.
-
Quentin sought after by BOS
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:47 AM) BNightengale Bob Nightengale @ @JacobSamp17 If Sox trade Quentin, they are demanding players back who can help right now since they're only 2 back in loss column Why not trade Quentin and find a way to pick up Bourn. Put him and Pierre at the top and than use Bourn going forward at the leadoff spot (when Pierre leaves). I still think the Sox could move Quentin and than buy elsewhere. Of course, that is tougher to do than a 3 way deal where you are getting exactly what you want. I definitely don't see the White Sox "waiving" the White flag though. Unless they get swept by Boston and Detroit/Cleveland sweep whomever they are playing.
-
Quentin sought after by BOS
QUOTE (The '05 Sound @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:51 AM) Rosenthal: Another holdup in #Astros' Pence talks with #Phillies: Astros also trying to move Bourn, Wandy, B. Myers. #tradedeadline #MLGB Astros are just trying to do anything they can to make the Phillies pull out of the Pence deal themselves. Astros dont want to move him. Couldn't a 4 team deal potentially make sense. White Sox land Bourn plus prospects, Phillies land one of Pence/Quentin, Braves land the other, Astros get prospects from both teams.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
I like the idea of Roy Williams. Always thought Olsen was overhyped. I think on a one for one basis, this gives the best the first strong, big wide-out that they've had in a while. Whether it pans out, I don't know, but I liked what Cutler did with Marshall and I hope Williams can kind of be that "blanket" for Jay in Chicago. That said, clearly losing Olsen makes the Bears worse as Davis and Spaeth are not better. Spaeth will be a serious upgrade over Mama though. Interested to see if we try to add a big name tackle/end, plus what we do at LB and oline. Seems to me we have some money to spend to address those areas.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
I really would like Roy Williams. I wonder what player we got from Carolina and what the pick was.
-
Quentin sought after by BOS
Trading Q would be a pretty significant statement move. Personally I don't have a problem and like I've said all along, this team, even after quite a few trades, could still compete, given how drastically they have underachived and how crappy the rest of the division is. Hell, the Sox could sell a few of these guys and than go around and buy some young guy they like.
-
Quentin sought after by BOS
Wow. I wonder if it is Quentin. I wouldn't think we'd deal this quick, but if the Sox got the right package, who knows. I could live with Minor and Beachy. Gives you two lefty arms who are solid and can be traded. Although I'd clearly prefer a package built around Teheran.
-
Quentin sought after by BOS
If the Sox get a couple of the Braves pitching prospects, some of which are knocking on the door, it could clear the way for the Sox to move Danks now. That is if they feel the value they could get from the Yankees at the deadline will be greater than what they can get during the off-season.
-
2011 Soccer Season
QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:38 PM) Klinsmann! : I really hope that will be the case.
-
Quentin sought after by BOS
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:45 PM) Apparently Teheran and Vizcaino are untouchable. Which leaves Minor and Delgado. I'm not that interested in Minor. His big trait is "pitchability" and while that can work out, I like guys with dazzling stuff, especially if Quentin is as in demand as is being hinted at. Minor is a lot like Buehrle from a stuff perspective. I don't know whether Minor will have the ridiculous ability to locate and keep guys off balance, like Buehrle has.
-
KW Dangling Dunn
QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:41 PM) You'd have to eat a lot more of 25% of his contract considering he's batting .160 and hasn't shown much power. If he has 3 year and around $42 million his deal after this season, the Sox would have to eat at least $20 million, roughly half, of his contract. Maybe they could work out some performance type of deal where if he regains his form, the Sox pay less......saying all that, I really don't see a team taking him on considering how historically bad he's been this season. I wouldn't do that. I'd rather take my chances and hope he figures it out next year. If you are eating 20M and the team that gets Dunn is basically gettin him at 7M per year, well, quite frankly, I think you could potentially get something back. But you might be right in that is how much money it would take.
-
Thornton to the Texas Rangers?
A lot of teams are interested in Heath Bell. My thoughts are that once Bell goes, if the Sox want to move Thorty, now will be the time you get the most value for him as he'd emerge as potentially the best reliever on the market.
-
2011 Soccer Season
Weird. Wouldn't have guessed that. I wonder if we are going to go out and hire the former German World Cup coach. I know in the past his name had been linked.
-
Danks1 also on the market?
If the Sox want to move Danks, they won't move him now, unless of course we get swept or the team goes into full sell mode. I expect the Sox to continue to retool in the off-season and part of that retooling will likely involving making one last offer to Danks and if he doesn't accept, will involve moving him to another team.
-
Quentin sought after by BOS
Given what is being talked about as Q's market value, I'd be all over selling him and bringing up Viciedo. If Kenny can also find ways to shed Rios from the books, even better. I can live with Dunn potentially recovering and figuring stuff out, but hell, I'd be open to moving him too. Not that we'd get anything of value for Rios or Dunn.
-
KW Dangling Dunn
I'd be ok doing it. Probably would be willing to eat 10-25% of his contract to do it. Or depending on what you get back, taking some other sort of contract back that could be serviceable. If the Sox could hit the undo on him and Rios that would be exceptional and would theoritically provide the Sox with a ton of payroll flexibility. Of course the downside is, I'm pretty sure next years payroll will not be anything close to our current year payroll so some of that savings will not be reinvested.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:54 AM) They couldn't even get a late draft pick for him last year, and probably won't get much, if anything, for him this year. I thought they had him dealt for a 2nd round pick but the Patriots backed out of it. Maybe that was 2 years ago though?
-
Rumor: Rios/Thornton to Brewers for Gamel?
QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:52 PM) So Thornton,Rios and Escobar are involved in the deal. Where are you hearing this?