Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 12:34 PM) I was going to try that myself, but both the house and I had to be listed as "fixer-uppers". They WANTED me to list myself as a "Handyman's Special", but I told them Homey Don't PLAY THAT! That was before the insurance company came in and declared you a total loss
  2. QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 12:26 PM) Sorry if this is elsewhere, KW leaning toward Gload as plan B ?? http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox10.html No big suprise here... We all know Kenny likes to swing for the fences.
  3. southsider2k5 replied to nitetrain8601's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:38 AM) the stat that my advisor loves to throw in his emails : after 5 years, something like 75% of graduates are doing something completely unrelated to their major. Count me in the 25% You don't get much more of being in a pure economic field as when you work on the floor of a stock exchange
  4. QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 08:42 AM) That would be Furcal. Although I think they may want to move Iguchi from second as he is an injury waiting to happen on the doubleplay. He could be a good DH option. Was Guillen gone by the time Furcal came up?
  5. Where are the chapters on 1001 uses for poo, and drunken poll writing?
  6. Science fallible? Don't tell that to anyone involved in evolution. They might start a smear campaign...
  7. QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 07:58 AM) Gooch batted third in Japan. I wonder how he'll like a further demotion to 6 or 7 in the order? They quoted Tads on more than occasion saying he would like to hit in a postion where he could swing the bat. If he was in the 6th or 7th spot in the order he would be able to do just that.
  8. TLAK in the Guillen manager of the year thread. QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 09:37 PM) Never in a million years did I think Ozzie could do it. When he was first rumored as a candidate I ranted and raved during the ’03 playoffs when the Marlins pitcher lost his grip on the ball and it sailed over the dugout; before the next pitch Oz was standing on the top step with a catchers mitt. I thought he showed the guy up and posted a long rant that even quoted the leadership 101 seminar we use for new lead people at the shop. Rex Hudler told me to settle down, these guys are just ball players and don’t take it so seriously. Then he gets hired and holds the mother of all press conferences, calling out a hero of mine, Frank Thomas. I thought Thomas was horribly disrespected during the Manuel years and here we go again. I thought Oz was a disaster, Bevington II. My avatar became Oz with a red Bozo wig. Then came spring training ’04. Frank goes on TV and says that’s just Ozzie, don’t worry about it. I notice he communicates with his players and demands the best from them. Whether a guy is a star or a role player Oz just wants his best shot. I remember Konerko on the radio talking about how other managers would shun him when he K’d. He said Oz just tells him ‘You’re terrible’ and they both laugh. Midway through spring, my Bozo avatar goes to the trash can. During the season the only guys he calls out are guys who don’t give their all …Loaiza comes to mind. He didn’t get over 89 through the first half and Oz is all over him to show his real stuff. At the freaking all-star game he throws 93 then goes back to 89 for the Sox. He was on the next bus to New York, traded for a seemingly lesser pitcher, Jose Contreras. Jose was up, down and sideways but never phoned an outing in. Coming into ’05 I was convinced that the Oz was special. He kept the guys who wanted to play and they all seem to want to play for him. Through the season he and Don Cooper did a masterful job of using pitchers without wearing them down. Look at the innings the top 4 threw, yet every one of them was in fine shape for the playoffs. Think what would have happened if Oz gave in during the August slump and went to the 4-man rotation the media and some of us posters were demanding. When the pressure was greatest and everyone was calling the Sox chokers he comes out with this goofy story about retiring if the win the WS. For a week that’s all the media asked about, in the mean time the team was straightening out. So, I certainly deserve to eat some crow for my first reaction to him. I take my hat off to Ozzie Guillen. And I thank him that my hat says “Sox 05 World Series Champions”
  9. QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 09:37 PM) Never in a million years did I think Ozzie could do it. When he was first rumored as a candidate I ranted and raved during the ’03 playoffs when the Marlins pitcher lost his grip on the ball and it sailed over the dugout; before the next pitch Oz was standing on the top step with a catchers mitt. I thought he showed the guy up and posted a long rant that even quoted the leadership 101 seminar we use for new lead people at the shop. Rex Hudler told me to settle down, these guys are just ball players and don’t take it so seriously. Then he gets hired and holds the mother of all press conferences, calling out a hero of mine, Frank Thomas. I thought Thomas was horribly disrespected during the Manuel years and here we go again. I thought Oz was a disaster, Bevington II. My avatar became Oz with a red Bozo wig. Then came spring training ’04. Frank goes on TV and says that’s just Ozzie, don’t worry about it. I notice he communicates with his players and demands the best from them. Whether a guy is a star or a role player Oz just wants his best shot. I remember Konerko on the radio talking about how other managers would shun him when he K’d. He said Oz just tells him ‘You’re terrible’ and they both laugh. Midway through spring, my Bozo avatar goes to the trash can. During the season the only guys he calls out are guys who don’t give their all …Loaiza comes to mind. He didn’t get over 89 through the first half and Oz is all over him to show his real stuff. At the freaking all-star game he throws 93 then goes back to 89 for the Sox. He was on the next bus to New York, traded for a seemingly lesser pitcher, Jose Contreras. Jose was up, down and sideways but never phoned an outing in. Coming into ’05 I was convinced that the Oz was special. He kept the guys who wanted to play and they all seem to want to play for him. Through the season he and Don Cooper did a masterful job of using pitchers without wearing them down. Look at the innings the top 4 threw, yet every one of them was in fine shape for the playoffs. Think what would have happened if Oz gave in during the August slump and went to the 4-man rotation the media and some of us posters were demanding. When the pressure was greatest and everyone was calling the Sox chokers he comes out with this goofy story about retiring if the win the WS. For a week that’s all the media asked about, in the mean time the team was straightening out. So, I certainly deserve to eat some crow for my first reaction to him. I take my hat off to Ozzie Guillen. And I thank him that my hat says “Sox 05 World Series Champions” Excellent post. It takes a real man to admit he was wrong, and then an even bigger man to time line it
  10. Can I answer "I laughed my ass off, because I don't much like the owner of this site"?
  11. southsider2k5 replied to Steff's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE(smalls2598 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 05:41 PM) I receieved this email yesterday: I clicked on the link at first, and right away it took me to a screen that said something like, "We are doing system maintinence, and need you to verify your credit card information." As soon as I saw that, I opened a new browser and went to the REAL Paypay site. Under the Contact Us link, I found that all emails believed to be fake should be forwarded to SPOOF@PAYPAL.COM. so i did that, and within an hour, I already had a response from Paypal verifying the email was bogus, and I should contact my bank, and change my Pay pal password and security questions. I guess this is pretty common for Paypay; a co-worker had the same thing happen a few months back. I have gotten the Ebay version a couple of times...
  12. Just be a man and admit it. Changing your story is complete crap. I hope his career is over, and no one signs him.
  13. Interesting to see that as big as Congress was talking, they can't even close the deal. They retreated big time on all of the penalties. If they are going to bow under to baseball like this, they might as well just let baseball and the other sports deal with it themselves and STFU.
  14. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9979747/
  15. QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 03:34 PM) Congrats Ozzie, you definitely deserve it! Should have been a run away vote, but it definitely shows the media bias against the Sox. Ozzie was not even on all 28 ballots, he was left off one completely. I wonder who left him off. Here is the top 4: ----- 1st - 2nd - 3rd - Total Ozzie - 17 - 5 - 5 - 105 Wedge - 6 - 11 - 8 - 71 Torre - 4 - 7 - 2 - 43 Macha - 1 - 3 - 7 - 21 Torre gets 4 First place votes? With that lineup and you lose in the ALDS? Zimmer could have done that. And no first place votes for Mike Scoicia who did a way better managing job than either Macha or Torre.
  16. QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 03:07 PM) i honestly don't think i've ever been so excited for a game to come out. This is going to be such a breath of fresh air in the baseball videogame world. A baseball videogame.........where there will actually be a franchise mode that you can play through multiple years? Hopefully with the recruiting like you get in the college basketball and football games :drools
  17. southsider2k5 replied to nitetrain8601's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 02:03 PM) maybe it was my advisor just being very "advisor-y", but he told me that economics majors from here will usually get the same type of jobs the guys from finance and such will get. now you got me worried, you whore If you want to stay in Chicago, you should be fine. if you want to work in a smaller town, make sure to minor in something else.
  18. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 01:59 PM) But see, the point that there hasn't been a refinery built in the U.S. in 20 years actually doesn't matter, because the oil companies don't want to build any more refineries. In fact, I can cite one example here in California where Shell tried to shut down a profitable refinery which produced 2% of this state's unleaded and 5% of its diesel fuel. The state chose not to let them shut it down and forced them to sell it instead. Flying J seems happy with their purchase - it is quite profitable for them. There are several reasons why supply hasn't increased. First and foremost...oil companies know about the inelastic curve as much as you do, and they know that they turn higher profits at higher prices, so its to their benefits to not build any more refineries, because it starts to restrict supply. Beyond that, there's the simple matter of there not being any more oil in the ground, but that's a post for another discussion, and I have a class in 30 seconds. You can also probably dig up many NIMBY problems for companies who have wanted to build more capacity. Everyone wants cheaper energy, but no one wants a crude oil refinary or a nuclear power plant in their neighborhood. Everytime one gets planned, its gets followed by years of lawsuits and court fights. All of those costs come before a dime is realized by the company, if ever. Envoirnmental standards are another huge factor as to why the prices of energies are so high, especially during the summer. As some people know there aren't just 3 grades of gasoline that you can choose from. Many states and local governments have required special gasoline blends that burn cleaner than what is the fed governments requirements are. IIRC California alone can require up to 20 different distinct blends of just unleaded gasoline when the all of the different blends required by cities and counties are included. Realize that every additional step of refining, means additional costs are being added to the final product. And we still haven't gotten into the 36 cents per gallon federal taxes. The state, country and local sales and gas taxes, etc. I know in Indiana we are paying 50 cents per gallon in HWY taxes, plus sales taxes. Another issue would be how long it takes to go from wanting to build a refinary to actually having one producing, and the fact that if you traced back that long, you would be right back into the times that it was unprofitable to have anymore capacity in the system. Remember the price of crude oil hadn't been over $30 brl from about the middle 80's (when Reagan was destroying capital products prices to bankrupt the Soviets) until about 2003. The historical low price of crude goes a long way towards explaining why no refinary's were built for a long time.
  19. QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 01:40 PM) . I think the American economic picture would be better without the trillion dollar deficits. A wrong decision was made, but not for evil reasons. An honest decision was made. I don't know what more I can add. Being the Soxy of Economics I want to make just one point of emphasis here. We don't, and have never had, anything close a billion dollar deficit. Multi-trillion debt, yes. Trillion dollar deficit no.
  20. southsider2k5 replied to nitetrain8601's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:56 AM) I'm an economics major right now, with a concentration on the business side. My school offers a whole bunch of different econ concentrations. Pros -employable -if you like numbers, but not too much ridiculous math -its economics, it's practical and can be interesting if taught right. Cons -not everyone's cup of tea .... what school do you go to nite? It depends on what you mean by employable. Unless you want to be married to a city that has a major financial presence (LA, CHI, NYC etc) you are going to have a hard time finding a job. It is a very specialized industry. Much of what you will find is stuff that finance people would get into, unless you get into either working for the Government (such as a fed bank), trading of some sort, or working as an economist for a financial institution. (which would require a doctorate.) So unless you are willing to do something that isn't quite econ, you might be better served looking at business/accounting/finance/management/marketing. I have worked in trading for 7 years now after majoring in Econ in college so if you have any questions about either, let me know.
  21. QUOTE(hi8is @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 01:23 PM) what they have been doing with gas prices is completely insane and cant really be compared with the likes of companys such as google and ebay. a better analogy would be food. imagine humans could only eat apples, a barrell of 1,000 apples costs 10 dollars to harvest and grow.... the apple company then in turn sells the barrell of 1,000 apples to a store for 150 dollars... the store then sells each apple for 3 dollars a peice. and we have to eat in order to allow society to function, each person in the chain of command knows they have us by the balls. they know they can charge whatever they want. just 3 years ago the national average for gallon was OVER 50 PERCECNT LESS then it is now. there hasnt been that big of a production drop off... (in fact, we were making less then) somethings fishy and for you to say that its harboring a socalist society to try and get the the bottom if it.... i think is somewhat ingornat. Fishy? What is fishy about high Chinese demand, terror fears, followed by supply shock? There is nothing fishy, its economics 101. Energies have a minmal elasticity. For a given price increase, there is a very small dropoff in usage. With a big demand only a couple of things can stop a big price increase from happening, and that is a big price increase to quell demand, or an increase in supply. And since we all know that there hasn't be a refinery build in the US since the 80's, supply isn't going to be the answer to the problems.
  22. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 12:41 PM) Here's the odd little part...the Democrats wanted to have those Execs testify under oath. The Republicans refused. It's almost as if the Republicans want them to be able to get away with not telling the whole truth. But that couldn't be it, could it? LMAO. I thought lying to Congress under oath didn't matter anymore? Anyways a formal swearing in process is pretty pointless. They don't have to be sworn in to have to tell the truth. if they are testifying and lie, they can still get into trouble.
  23. I am glad to see the Dem's coming out and basically endorsing socialism here. I wonder who else they will decide is making too much money and take it from them? Should it just be corporations that are too wealthy or should people like Bill Gates be taxed for being rich as well? If they want to say the money was made illegally, that is one thing. Prosecute the company in the courts of law. But if all there is to say is that their profits are too big, I'll be waiting to see the Congress begin to drag in corporate CEOs from all industries in order to harass them about giving away their profits too. Personally I am waiting for the heads of companies such as GE, Intel, Microsoft, Coke, Time Warner, Citibank, Merck, Ebay, Google, JP Morgan, etc in front of Congress so they can explain their ill-gotten gains, and can be told who they should give them back to.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.