Tyler Saladino

BigHurt3515

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)
So ignore the holes all together then? Is that really what you're suggesting?

Also, why can't we use that $5M towards a quality free agent?

What free agent? This class is the worst in modern history. Hell, Lawrie would be one of the top players on the market if he were a FA>

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 08:50 PM)
What free agent? This class is the worst in modern history. Hell, Lawrie would be one of the top players on the market if he were a FA>

So I take it you're all for rebuilding then? How do you expect this team to get better if you don't plan on signing any free agents?

BTW, there are several DH/OF types that could help us next year. If we decide to "go for it" I'd rather commit my resources to one of them than Lawrie when we have a cheap in-house option place for 2B.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
So I take it you're all for rebuilding then? How do you expect this team to get better if you don't plan on signing any free agents?

BTW, there are several DH/OF types that could help us next year. If we decide to "go for it" I'd rather commit my resources to one of them than Lawrie when we have a cheap in-house option place for 2B.

Uh... who?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)

Unless we are getting a nice return, I don't see a need to open up a spot for Leury Garcia or Carlos Sanchez.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
Unless we are getting a nice return, I don't see a need to open up a spot for Leury Garcia or Carlos Sanchez.

We aren't getting a nice return for Brett Lawrie, so it sounds like you're good with going cheap somewhere else (CF, DH, & C), because we aren't going to have the money to fill all these holes. Not sure how that makes us better, but hey, I'm all for rebuilding anyways.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)
Cespedes, Encarnacion, Bautista, Trumbo, Fowler, Desmond, & Reddick.

You're dreaming if you think we get any of those guys. Cespedes will stay with NYM, Encarnacion will sign some outrageously large contract, Trumbo too... Sure maybe we'll get Bautista/Reddick as consolations but it's not like they're that good anymore regardless

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 10:14 PM)
You're dreaming if you think we get any of those guys. Cespedes will stay with NYM, Encarnacion will sign some outrageously large contract, Trumbo too... Sure maybe we'll get Bautista/Reddick as consolations but it's not like they're that good anymore regardless

I'm not sure what you're arguing. I don't want to waste $5M on Brett Lawrie. Whether we're rebuilding or going for it, I'd rather start Saladino. If we were to go for it, I sure as s*** wouldn't waste $5M on a 2B when we have gaping holes in CF, DH, & C. And quite frankly, we're not going to be legit contenders next year if we don't sign one of those guys I mentioned in my previous post (among other moves). I'm not suggesting that's going to happen, but am implying that's what it's going to take to turn this team into a winner. Again, wasting a chunk of our limited financial flexibility on a position of low need would be incredibly foolish.

What part of my argument do you disagree with exactly?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 10:41 PM)
I'm not sure what you're arguing. I don't want to waste $5M on Brett Lawrie. Whether we're rebuilding or going for it, I'd rather start Saladino. If we were to go for it, I sure as s*** wouldn't waste $5M on a 2B when we have gaping holes in CF, DH, & C. And quite frankly, we're not going to be legit contenders next year if we don't sign one of those guys I mentioned in my previous post (among other moves). I'm not suggesting that's going to happen, but am implying that's what it's going to take to turn this team into a winner. Again, wasting a chunk of our limited financial flexibility on a position of low need would be incredibly foolish.

What part of my argument do you disagree with exactly?

I don't disagree with anything you said in this post. I was just saying that the odds of us landing one of Cespedes/Encarnacion/Trumbo are extremely slim. Boston or New York or someone will pay them the world.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 10:01 PM)
We aren't getting a nice return for Brett Lawrie, so it sounds like you're good with going cheap somewhere else (CF, DH, & C), because we aren't going to have the money to fill all these holes. Not sure how that makes us better, but hey, I'm all for rebuilding anyways.

Why are you so gung ho for Leury Garcia and/or Carlos Sanchez?

On the heels of 4 3 hit games, Saladino raised this season's OPS from .690 to .738 his last 9 starts. It's great that he did that, but some regressing is most likely going to occur. Before that, he didn't hit all that well. On top of that, he is hurt again. To think he is what he has been the last week and a half offensively, and he will be able to stay healthy enough to be a regular is right now a dream based on nothing. I like the guy. But he still needs to show he is for real with the bat, and can keep himself on the field.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 07:49 AM)
On the heels of 4 3 hit games, Saladino raised this season's OPS from .690 to .738 his last 9 starts. It's great that he did that, but some regressing is most likely going to occur. Before that, he didn't hit all that well. On top of that, he is hurt again. To think he is what he has been the last week and a half offensively, and he will be able to stay healthy enough to be a regular is right now a dream based on nothing. I like the guy. But he still needs to show he is for real with the bat, and can keep himself on the field.

This is all nonsense. Saladino put up a .284/.315/.455/.770 slash line across 93 plate appearances in August. What changed between August & July? Oh that's right, he got consistent playing. There's nothing really flukey about those numbers either, so it's convenient you completely ignored them.

And no one is arguing that Saladino is a .837 OPS player, so I'm not sure why you're cherry-picking his last nine games. Clearly his September are inflated due to a ridiculous .413 BABIP. Show me one poster who said that player is their expectation. I patiently wait for your heavily-spinned response.

Wasting $3-5 million at a time on 3 players who turn out to be worthless instead of getting one really good player is how they always end up in the same predicament.

If Hahn or KW want to pin their jobs on Lawrie, Avi, Fulmer or Shields outperforming in 2017, more power to them. That type of plan will quickly be exposed by the schedule.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 08:09 AM)
Agree, but going for it and not signing one of these guys would simply be another half-ass offseason.

Forfeiting a draft pick to sign a free agent is worst case scenario this offseason. The White Sox can not give up draft picks.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
This is all nonsense. Saladino put up a .284/.315/.455/.770 slash line across 93 plate appearances in August. What changed between August & July? Oh that's right, he got consistent playing. There's nothing really flukey about those numbers either, so it's convenient you completely ignored them.

And no one is arguing that Saladino is a .837 OPS player, so I'm not sure why you're cherry-picking his last nine games. Clearly his September are inflated due to a ridiculous .413 BABIP. Show me one poster who said that player is their expectation. I patiently wait for your heavily-spinned response.

Really its no different than picking out his absolute low point and saying that is who he is.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)

Because 9 games ago, he had a .690 OPS. Combine that with his .627 OPS last season, not good. Carlos Sanchez had a hot month last year. I don't see people wanting him to be a regular. He isn't as good as he has been recently, he wasn't as bad as he was previously. To say he's a starter is very premature, and that isn't even getting into the physical problems he's had since he took over for Lawrie. Missed a bunch of games with a bad back. Missed some more now with a calf problem. His minor league career is sprinkled with physical issues.

We all see this team has a lack of depth. What you are proposing, making Saladino the starter, getting rid of Lawrie, thins it out even more. Saladino is good to cover multiple positions.

Edited by Dick Allen