Jose Abreu: White Sox Don't Have Same Desire to Win As Royals

Dunt

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice of Jose to say that change "starts with him".....that's something a leader should say.

However, we all know that change starts with the manager. Having a leader in the dugout that shows some desire to win instills that attitude throughout the entire team.

Having an unemotional trainwreck of a leader who shows no intensity rubs that attitude onto everyone in the dugout.

Unfortunately, its been allowed to ingrain so deeply, it make take more than a year for a new manager to overcome it.

It's the biggest mistake of this organization in the last 10 years to allow Robin to maintain a job so long.

You know, probably doesn't matter. But it seemed like the Royals all came up together as a group through the minors, winning together.

That's a philosophy that the Cards use, and Twins as well.

Now, our farm system really hasn't been a huge contributor to our roster, but we have a group that I'm really pumped for from this and last years drafts. I'd like to let them play together and win like they did at Great Falls, vs prioritizing personal challenges and putting them on garbage teams all over system.

May not matter, may prolong time up, but there are a lot of college talents that we drafted, see if they can learn how to win as a group.

The blame here rests squarely on Robin's shoulders. They've got guys like Abreu, Frazier and Q that lead by example, character and grit. They've got intense, win-at-all-cost players like Eaton, Lawrie, Sale and Rodon. Anderson and Saladino seem like they've got fire. Avi busts his ass.

Robin needs to get everyone else rallied. Seems like he can't.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
The blame here rests squarely on Robin's shoulders. They've got guys like Abreu, Frazier and Q that lead by example, character and grit. They've got intense, win-at-all-cost players like Eaton, Lawrie, Sale and Rodon. Anderson and Saladino seem like they've got fire. Avi busts his ass.

Can't wait for Coach Thome or Rowand for the next 4 years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)

Eaton has never struck me as a win at all costs player.

But TWTW isn't the problem with this org anyway: Talent is.

Nice to see Jose comment the way that he did. Sox haven't had any vocal leaders on this team in a long time and I think that's badly needed. They need a Jim Landis-type or Wynn or McDowell or Fisk who won't be afraid to get in someone's face when needed or bust up a toilet.

But I agree it does start with the manager and a team takes on the attitude of him or her (depending on the sport...)

"It's time" for the Sox to get a real, experienced manager not someone learning on the job or who is just happy to have the chance.

We'll see what happens.

Mark

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)

I disagree. The blame should rest on the shoulders of the person(s) who has decided each year that Robin will stay.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
You know, probably doesn't matter. But it seemed like the Royals all came up together as a group through the minors, winning together.

Now, our farm system really hasn't been a huge contributor to our roster, but we have a group that I'm really pumped for from this and last years drafts. I'd like to let them play together and win like they did at Great Falls, vs prioritizing personal challenges and putting them on garbage teams all over system.

May not matter, may prolong time up, but there are a lot of college talents that we drafted, see if they can learn how to win as a group.

We'll also see if out management has the patience to hold on to these young guys instead of their typical approach of 'leveraging' them for has been veterans that Kenny at one time had the hots for

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
Eaton has never struck me as a win at all costs player.

But TWTW isn't the problem with this org anyway: Talent is.

Please explain why? He busts his ass and is extremely talented.

Just because you've been consistently proven wrong about him doesn't mean he's not a winner.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
Ironically, Eaton has a lot of it. And you always try to get rid of him in your posts.

9th best position player in baseball.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
I disagree. The blame should rest on the shoulders of the person(s) who has decided each year that Robin will stay.

Touche.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 12:56 PM)
Please explain why? He busts his ass and is extremely talented.

Just because you've been consistently proven wrong about him doesn't mean he's not a winner.

9th best position player in baseball.

Touche.

Yeah, in fact Adam Eaton was trying so hard the organization had to tell him to dial back because he was injuring himself from doing things like running into walls to make plays, and pulling muscles running so hard to first base.

The last thing I could ever describe Adam Eaton with is a lack of desire.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 05:47 PM)
TWTW is complete garbage. The team just isn't good enough and management goes in every year setting them up for failure. The end.

Glad Jose isn't blind, but he also overvalues TWTW apparently.

I kind of agree. You need talent to win. But ... there's no question the Sox look flat against teams from the Central. I do think the other teams are more alert, more savvy and do "want it more." The emotional part of baseball can be crap like you say, but I do think what Jose said is true.

The 1962 Mets could have had TWTW in abundance and all it would have done for them is maybe added a couple of wins over the course of their epically bad season. Obviously you have to have talent to win, that is first and foremost. That being said the Sox far too often play as flat and passionless as their manager. Abrue is absolutely right and no Adam Eaton is not part of this problem.

The thing I have noticed is the White Sox rarely give up in games. They are short now in talent. Sanchez, Navarez, Coats, Garcia, all were getting time vs. KC. When your line up is the Charlotte Knights, you usually lose AAA games.

Last week people were complaining Robin was trying too hard to win in an effort to save his job. That was laughable, and thinking they lost this weekend because KC wanted it more is laughable as well. The bullpen is short, the line up is short right now.

They do have to clean up the mess they have made the last few years within the division. Outside of it, they are about as good as any other Central opponent. Cleaning up vs. the division is what won for them in 2005. I don't know exactly what it will take other than some new players, maybe some new scouts. We will see starting in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
The thing I have noticed is the White Sox rarely give up in games. They are short now in talent. Sanchez, Navarez, Coats, Garcia, all were getting time vs. KC. When your line up is the Charlotte Knights, you usually lose AAA games.

Last week people were complaining Robin was trying too hard to win in an effort to save his job. That was laughable, and thinking they lost this weekend because KC wanted it more is laughable as well. The bullpen is short, the line up is short right now.

They do have to clean up the mess they have made the last few years within the division. Outside of it, they are about as good as any other Central opponent. Cleaning up vs. the division is what won for them in 2005. I don't know exactly what it will take other than some new players, maybe some new scouts. We will see starting in a couple of weeks.

The priority when you are eliminated in September is to evaluate your high minors talent at the major league level, not win games. It doesn't matter how little talent they may have.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)

Look at the progression paths for guys like Beckham, Sale, Rodon, Fulmer and Burdi...they never stay/ed together with a minor league team for very long.

Other teams have more depth/talent and typically promote their players together, one step at a time, spending 4-5 years in the minors together.

At best, you can say Semien, Thompson and Saladino might have spent x amount of time playing together, could probably throw in Micah and Carlos Sanchez as well. Of course, that progression works more naturally when you draft a group of high school hitters or pitchers together and keep them largely intact.

It's also the reason certain teams that have their second/third string players all together at either AA or AAA playing together on one team of real prospects tends to succeed more often when those kids are called up...especially when they've already won 2-3 minor league championships together.