Jose Fernandez dead

PolishPrince34

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)
Very sad. If he hadn't have been pushed back a day, he probably wouldn't have been on that boat. The cruel hands of fate. RIP.

Reminds me of the Oscar Taveres death. If the Cards had stayed in the playoffs a bit longer that season, he'd still likely be alive.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
Coast Guard going on ESPN SportsCenter at 930. If anyone can watch and give a summary, that would be great.

Key notes: 32 foot boat hit a Jetty and turned over, damage to the boat was pretty substantial (totaled). Boat was found between 3:15a and 3:30a. Speed was involved. Three total dead, all male, Jose was the only athlete. Nobody was wearing a life vest, no drugs or alcohol were found. The boat was not Jose's and he has been a passenger on that boat before.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
Coast Guard going on ESPN SportsCenter at 930. If anyone can watch and give a summary, that would be great.

Around 3 AM a 30 foot boat was spotted upside down on the rock jetty. Two bodies under the vessel, one in the water, dead on the scene.

Weird press conference, lots of giggles before it actually started.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Great player, but more importantly he was always smiling out there. Seemed like the type of guy that was a great role model on the field.

Guy was always having fun. Screw the old players that hate on the new generation of players for showing emotion. Its a game.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
Guy was always having fun. Screw the old players that hate on the new generation of players showing emotion. Its a game.

If you had asked me to identify which player represented the heart of the game more than anyone, probably would have been Fernandez.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
I couldn't blame the Marlins if they tried to just forfeit the rest of the season.

Such a travesty - if I was on the team I would lobby for this course of action. Pack it in and dedicate the silence to him.

Absolutely devastating. One of the best pitchers in the game on track to possibly win the Cy Young this year. Condolences to his family and the Marlins. I wouldn't be able to handle such a loss if I were a player on the team. I'd be bawling my eyes out if I was a Marlins fan.

Edited by chw42

He was the epitome of everything that's awesome about baseball, he truly enjoyed every second he spent on the diamond and made the game so f***ing fun to watch both with his electric stuff and personality. Just heartbreaking, he'll sorely be missed by all. This is a devastating day for the game.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
Such a travesty - if I was on the team I would lobby for this course of action. Pack it in and dedicate the silence to him.

The Yankees played at night in NY after going to Munson's funeral in Ohio. It's tough, but life moves on and unfortunately they play the Mets, so they have to. Maybe the services will be Thursday on the off day, but they could push Monday's game to Thursday to give them an extra day to regroup.

Edited by flavum