NLDS: Giants vs. Evil Empire

LittleHurt05

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SpankyEaton @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
Did you all see the new Rizzo meme that said, "Hey Sox fans! It's ok to root for us. We need all of Chicago behind us. Let's make history together!" Are they making fun of us or is this real?

I'm guessing most players unless they're long term guys really know about or care about the Sox-Cubs rivalry. They play hard when the teams play against each other but can probably give a rat's ass aside from that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
I lurk all the time. You're reaching all over the place. The Giants never had a chance. The NLCS should be different.

This isn't the NBA. Nothing is guaranteed. The Giants had plenty of chances to win game one and headed back to SF 1-1. I already said it's an uphill battle and unlikely but if you think overcoming an 0-2 deficit is impossible you clearly haven't watched enough postseason baseball.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 10:33 PM)
Samardzija SUCKS!!!! $90 million for THAT!!!

How in the hell did that guy land Addison Russell for the Cubs? Unbelieveable.

I never understood why anyone thought he was somewhere close to being an ace. It's frightening to think he was close to having a longer contract with the Sox. I doubt anyone will ever offer a trade like that again. That would be something that I could see KW would do.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 10:45 PM)
I never understood why anyone thought he was somewhere close to being an ace. It's frightening to think he was close to having a longer contract with the Sox. I doubt anyone will ever offer a trade like that again. That would be something that I could see KW would do.

He legitimately had one good half with the Cubs in 2014 and everyone thought he was a true #1 or at least the A's did.

The Giants offense was really terrible at times the last month and a half of the season so this doesn't surprise me. I figured the Cubs would handle them with ease, thought the Mets would give them a better run for it. Looks like the Cubs will be in the World Series. A World Series choke would probably set them back more psychologically than if they lost in the NLCS.

Seriously, 3 RBI's from the pitchers spot? Ridiculous. Hopefully they use up all their luck early in the playoffs.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 11:23 PM)
Cubs have committed 4 errors in 2 games, none of them have led to runs. The series is 2-0 Cubs, but it could very easily be 2-0 Giants. Not saying they won't still win the series, but it's not like they've dominated.

The Cubs have not impressed me. Their defense has been shaky at times, their offense has been nearly non existent but their pitching has been excellent. If their offense continues to struggle this postseason they are not going to win the World Series. Eventually the pitching will crack against a better offense (think any AL team). Their highly regarded offense has yet to prove they can perform in October against good pitching. Of course that could change, but this series has only further reinforced this notion. Their two MVP candidates have career postseason OPS of 689 and 522. That's not going to get it done if they get past the Giants.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 9, 2016 -> 07:48 AM)
Hindsight is 20/20 but why would Bochy roll with Shark?

Who else could they have gone with?

Moore, Blach or Suarez...but managers usually go with the horse who got them there all season...and maybe Moore's numbers weren't a good match for the Cubs' line up.

Maybe just a managerial hunch going against his former team?

His intuition as a manager was just fine in 2010, 12 and 14. It's arguable. Moore's peripherals were 5-10% better, roughly.

Blach also has pitched well doen the stretch, but inexperienced.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 9, 2016 -> 07:21 AM)
The Cubs have not impressed me. Their defense has been shaky at times, their offense has been nearly non existent but their pitching has been excellent. If their offense continues to struggle this postseason they are not going to win the World Series. Eventually the pitching will crack against a better offense (think any AL team). Their highly regarded offense has yet to prove they can perform in October against good pitching. Of course that could change, but this series has only further reinforced this notion. Their two MVP candidates have career postseason OPS of 689 and 522. That's not going to get it done if they get past the Giants.

Good luck with all that considering they have the best pitching staff and defense in baseball. I think the Dodgers and Red Sox are their biggest roadblocks if they get past the Giants but right now they're heavy favorites.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Oct 9, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Good luck with all that considering they have the best pitching staff and defense in baseball. I think the Dodgers and Red Sox are their biggest roadblocks if they get past the Giants but right now they're heavy favorites.

I've been more impressed with Cleveland and Toronto's offense this postseason though the Red Sox are also stacked offensively but maybe their youth is catching up to them.

I don't think anyone in the NL really has a shot vs the cubs unless dodgers sweep nats and have 2 kershaw games vs. the cubs, but even then, the cubs are still favorites.

Now the world series... anything can happen, as there are some good AL teams that have amazing offensive ability.