Price rising for Sale and Q

bruni

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
Texas doesn't really have many elite prospects anymore after the trade deadline, unless you consider Mazara and Odor to be prospects. And even then, Mazara/Odor/Mendez is not good enough for Sale. Profar, maybe? But he doesn't have much team control left IIRC.

I don't think the Rangers are a good match. Apparently the Yankees aren't either:

https://www.nj.com/articles/19446931/white_...p?client=safari

I think it's boom or bust with the Red Sox and ultimately I still think Sale stays.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
I see no scenario where the Sox undergo a full scorched earth rebuild.

What really is considered a "full scorched" rebuild with this team? I think there are 3-4 guys that can get the Sox back big time talent. Those guys are Sale, Q, Eaton and possibly Abreu. I won't count Rodon because he is a part of the rebuild if they go that route. I don't think they trade all those guys but I do think they deal Sale for sure and possibly Q depending on the package. Guessing Eaton stays since this team needs better position players and he's one of their best plus he's young and affordable.

I still think there will be some type of sell off even if it' not a total rebuild. I think Sale, Frazier, Melky and Robertson will for sure be traded in the offseason and possibly some others depending on what's coming back.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 06:49 PM)
I don't think the Rangers are a good match. Apparently the Yankees aren't either:

https://www.nj.com/articles/19446931/white_...p?client=safari

I think it's boom or bust with the Red Sox and ultimately I still think Sale stays.

There will be a ton of teams in on these guys if they're available, not just Boston and Texas.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 07:00 PM)
But which teams have both quality and quality of disposable assets to get a deal done?

Of teams that I would consider "contending" teams or teams that should be pretty competitive: NYY, HOU, CHC, PIT, LAD, WSH, BOS, TEX, STL.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
Of teams that I would consider "contending" teams or teams that should be pretty competitive: NYY, HOU, CHC, PIT, LAD, WSH, BOS, TEX, STL.

Teams like STL and Pitt feeling pressure from the Cubs feels like a great match. Plus they'd both truly value Sale/Q's contract (unlike say Boston/Texas, with less financial constraints), and have a wealth of young talent.

QUOTE (Username @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 07:35 PM)
Teams like STL and Pitt feeling pressure from the Cubs feels like a great match. Plus they'd both truly value Sale/Q's contract (unlike say Boston/Texas, with less financial constraints), and have a wealth of young talent.

But if the Sox deal Sale I don't see them acquiring a bunch of unproven talent. They have already showed their hand by expressing interest in guys like Jackie Bradley and Mazara as centerpieces of a deal. I don't think teams like the Pirates and Cardinals can afford to trade those type of players plus other MLB or near MLB ready talent.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)

I don't see NY, CHC, PIT, WSH, TEX, or STL as matches. The only other team besides Boston that I think could swing this type of deal is LA but they'd have to be willing to part with Urias I'd think.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 08:41 PM)
I don't see NY, CHC, PIT, WSH, TEX, or STL as matches. The only other team besides Boston that I think could swing this type of deal is LA but they'd have to be willing to part with Urias I'd think.

Pittsburg definitely has the prospects to get a deal done. Glasnow, Taillon, Bell, Gregory Polonco, Meadows, Newman, Keller, Hayes

FWIW---Boston Cable had their end of season Red Sox wrap-up show tonight. Had 4 of the regular media members that cover the team from different media sources. Retaining Farrell was a sign that Dombrowski will not be making major changes. All were in agreement that Red Sox from all indications will go with existing starters but will need to add a set-up person in bullpen. All agreed Moncada and Benintendi will not be traded. A few other thoughts they had:

1. Moncada could eventually end up as a right-fielder in AAA next year and that could free up a Bradley trade in 2018.

2. 3B is Panda's to lose.

3. Swihart will eventually be traded but not this offseason since he is damaged goods.

4. Vazquez will most likely be the 2017 catcher.

5. Buchholtz could be a sign and trade for a SP prospect or a bullpen piece.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 10:00 PM)
FWIW---Boston Cable had their end of season Red Sox wrap-up show tonight. Had 4 of the regular media members that cover the team from different media sources. Retaining Farrell was a sign that Dombrowski will not be making major changes. All were in agreement that Red Sox from all indications will go with existing starters but will need to add a set-up person in bullpen. All agreed Moncada and Benintendi will not be traded. A few other thoughts they had:

1. Moncada could eventually end up as a right-fielder in AAA next year and that could free up a Bradley trade in 2018.

3. Swihart will eventually be traded but not this offseason since he is damaged goods.

As if anyone would want him... he's worse than Danks. I hope they aren't that biased.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 08:43 PM)
Pittsburg definitely has the prospects to get a deal done. Glasnow, Taillon, Bell, Gregory Polonco, Meadows, Newman, Keller, Hayes

Don't they need those guys to fill out their major league roster? They had quite a few holes (and injuries) this year while finishing with the same number of wins as the Sox.

I've read this twice now that the Red Sox will not trade for a SP. I call BS. Any team with prospects will entertain a Sale trade just purely based on due diligence. Being a top 5 pitcher with a contract so great, he is worth the price tag the White Sox are asking. I think Sale will be traded, not just to rebuild, but after his Jerseygate fiasco, I really think the White Sox want him gone.

No offense, but I doubt Dombrowski even has his offseason plan figured out just days after their season ended, let alone a bunch of media members. You keep saying they aren't interested in a top of the rotation starter, but I call bulls***. We all saw what happened to them in the playoffs, Dombrowski won't be stupid enough to enter 2017 without a legit ace when he has the rest of a World Series roster in place. Whether they pony up for Sale is a different story, but I strongly believe they'll be actively looking at all major arms.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 08:41 PM)

Respectfully disagree. If the Yankees want to get in on Sale/Q they definitely have the pieces that would allow them to do it now. We all know the Cubs have the pieces although unless Sox management has changed it's tune with dealing with the Cubs, then that's not happening. Pittsburgh has a loaded system (Glasnow, Meadows, Bell, Newman) plus some nice MLB young talent in Marte and Polanco. They will be a much better team next year and probably need to make a major move to compete with the Cubs and Cards. We've already discussed Texas ad nauseam. Washington has a deep farm system plus their window may only be open for so long with Harper looming as a UFA after the 2018 season. The Cardinals seem to churn out good MLB players every year and are always in the race. Would think Alex Reyes would be involved in any deal involving them.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
I've read this twice now that the Red Sox will not trade for a SP. I call BS. Any team with prospects will entertain a Sale trade just purely based on due diligence. Being a top 5 pitcher with a contract so great, he is worth the price tag the White Sox are asking. I think Sale will be traded, not just to rebuild, but after his Jerseygate fiasco, I really think the White Sox want him gone.

I agree 100%. He can bring back the most in any trade and if they don't go full rebuild, they have a 1A SP in Q who they can retool/rebuild around and they have him for a year longer than Sale.

Just curious, does anyone else besides me feel like the Sox could compete next season just by unloading Quintana and Robertson for some young major league talent?

Let's say...Quintana to Red Sox for Benintendi, Shaw, Groome, Kopech.

And also....Roberston to Giants for Joe Panik

Sox go out and sign Rich Hill and Lucroy

Rotation is....

Sale

Hill

Rodon

Gonzalez

Shields/Fulmer

Lineup is....

SS Anderson

RF Eaton

DH Abreu

C Lucroy

3B Frazier

LF Melky

CF Benintendi

1B Shaw

2B Panik

Saladino and Lawrie are your backup IF. Or maybe you even give the Giants one of those two along with Robertson until Christian Arroyo is ready to come up for them. Narvaez is your backup catcher. Nate Jones becomes your closer, and you obviously sign a couple MR in there to replace deadweights like Albers.

I think that team is certainly better in 2017, even though you lost Quintana and Robertson.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
Just curious, does anyone else besides me feel like the Sox could compete next season just by unloading Quintana and Robertson for some young major league talent?

Let's say...Quintana to Red Sox for Benintendi, Shaw, Groome, Kopech.

And also....Roberston to Giants for Joe Panik

Sox go out and sign Rich Hill and Lucroy

Rotation is....

Sale

Hill

Rodon

Gonzalez

Shields/Fulmer

Lineup is....

SS Anderson

RF Eaton

DH Abreu

C Lucroy

3B Frazier

LF Melky

CF Benintendi

1B Shaw

2B Panik

Saladino and Lawrie are your backup IF. Or maybe you even give the Giants one of those two along with Robertson until Christian Arroyo is ready to come up for them. Narvaez is your backup catcher. Nate Jones becomes your closer, and you obviously sign a couple MR in there to replace deadweights like Albers.

I think that team is certainly better in 2017, even though you lost Quintana and Robertson.

1.) How would we sign Lucroy when he isn't a FA until 2018?

2.) You really think Boston would include Groome and Kopech?

3.) You really think SF would trade Panik for Robertson?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 11:22 PM)
As if anyone would want him... he's worse than Danks. I hope they aren't that biased.

He was very good in September after spending time in the bullpen. I think some team would give him a shot for a 5th starter since he is only 32. Theo could be interested if Lackey calls it quits. Francona is another who saw him when he was effective. I would love to see sox get him if the price is limited and see if Coop could turn him around.

But Boston pays 5th starters what we would pay top of rotation so he might be too pricey on a sign and trade.