Frazier wants to stay, doesn't want Sox to trade Sale

Sockin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
This has been asked a million times, but how do you expect to fill these holes? Money is tight, the free agent market is weak, and we have a bottom five farm system.

They have to spend the money. Money is only tight because front office says so. They can spend it if they want to win. I agree, if they don't want to spend any money, trade everybody and field a AAA team.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 12:03 AM)
Yes, sir, but you know that line "The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry ."

Teams now seem to be of this mindset where they covet and will never trade their top tier young players and prospects and will only trade their second tier prospects and players who have injuries or other issues. If that turns out to be the case, then what do we do ?

Adding to that...there may no longer be a Draft day pay-off for tanking seasons in an era where there is a race to last so teams can game the system like the Cubs did. So we could be "mired in mediocrity" for longer than any of us anticipated with this rebuilding plan.

Shelby Miller, Giles and Kimbrel trades say hello, for example.

If you're going for it now, can you really risk gambling that Sonny Gray and Chris Archer are close to the equivalents of Sale coming off the seasons they had? Both GM's are going to ask for overpays, but which of the three gives you the most certainty?

The Astros are already much stronger...it's clearly a situation in the AL where there are already 9-10 teams that are clearly better suited to compete, spend more and with better farm systems to trade from.

We have more possible combinations of players available to fill multiple holes simultaneously, such as Sale and Frazier...or Quintana and Cabrera, Abreu, Eaton or Nate Jones, Robertson, etc.

If this isn't the best time...or the trade deadline in 2017, there never will be a better time and we'll just sit on those guys until

they become another Jenks, Crede, Floyd, Danks or Crain due to injuries. We already had numerous opportunities where we could have dealt Robertson to start the rebuild and now they're stuck with him. Cabrera, as well, will not be on the next White Sox playoff team and has elevated himself to where you don't have to eat salary to trade him.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
They have to spend the money. Money is only tight because front office says so. They can spend it if they want to win. I agree, if they don't want to spend any money, trade everybody and field a AAA team.

They have money to spend. The problem is that spending money does not make you a strong team if you don't have a strong organization around them. Baseball has been teaching teams that lesson for a decade now - the last team that made themselves into a world series winner based almost entirely on free agent acquisitions was the 09 Yankees. You can use the FA market to supplement players and fill a handful of holes, but if you're signing 3 guys you better have a strong enough roster to absorb 1 of them completely flopping and 1 of them underperforming.

The Royals, the Indians, the Cubs, the Mets, the teams that are making the world series are teams that build a strong internal foundation then add 1-2 pieces to it.

If the White Sox had ballooned their payroll to $150 million last year, signed Cespedes instead of Jackson, they're still not a playoff team. They're probably over .500. And that's with hindsight of knowing that Cespedes was still ok last year, while some of the other expensive OFs were flops. If the White Sox had ballooned their payroll by adding Heyward, well you know.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
They have money to spend. The problem is that spending money does not make you a strong team if you don't have a strong organization around them. Baseball has been teaching teams that lesson for a decade now - the last team that made themselves into a world series winner based almost entirely on free agent acquisitions was the 09 Yankees. You can use the FA market to supplement players and fill a handful of holes, but if you're signing 3 guys you better have a strong enough roster to absorb 1 of them completely flopping and 1 of them underperforming.

The Royals, the Indians, the Cubs, the Mets, the teams that are making the world series are teams that build a strong internal foundation then add 1-2 pieces to it.

If the White Sox had ballooned their payroll to $150 million last year, signed Cespedes instead of Jackson, they're still not a playoff team. They're probably over .500. And that's with hindsight of knowing that Cespedes was still ok last year, while some of the other expensive OFs were flops. If the White Sox had ballooned their payroll by adding Heyward, well you know.

Or Gordon. Or Upton.

You would have had to go 3/4 or 4/4 on your moves, like trading scraps for Jean Segura, and signing Trumbo, Desmond and Fowler. Plus bringing in a different pitcher than Shields...or still having Guerra on the roster. Almost everything would have to break right.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
This team is like 15 wins out of first place. Where are those coming from? Their core is as good as the other teams' cores but the rest is s***. Rebuild time.

Sox had a ton of close games. Our pathetic bullpen blew game after game in the Robin era.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 05:52 PM)

Not a bad post. Sox should trade the busts and try to fill the holes again in free agency by spending a bit more. Starting pitching still looks pretty good.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
I will admit, a 2018 rotation of Sale-Q-Rodon-Hansen-Fulmer(or Stephens/Adams) does look sexy as hell.

I don't think "Tanking" getting a protected pick and going for it in 2018 is the worst idea in the world.

You've got a potentially extremely weak 4-5, and you're still paying James Shields that year.

Feel better now?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
I don't NEED a hot supermodel wife necessarily...

If he was all about top dollar he wouldn't be so public about wanting an early extension. Pretty sure he was vocal about it in spring training last year too. Samardzija was hell bent on testing FA from the day we traded for him.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 07:46 PM)
If he was all about top dollar he wouldn't be so public about wanting an early extension. Pretty sure he was vocal about it in spring training last year too. Samardzija was hell bent on testing FA from the day we traded for him.

Samardzija was more than happy to talk an extension as long as the White Sox were willing to put a 9 figure deal on the table. We had a ton of threads about that. Frazier is no different. He'd be thrilled if Cinci or Chicago would extend him 2-3 years before he hits FA because he's going to be 31 going to 32 when he hits FA. Get the contract signed and put $90 million in the bank and he'll be happy, I'm quite sure.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 07:02 PM)
Samardzija was more than happy to talk an extension as long as the White Sox were willing to put a 9 figure deal on the table. We had a ton of threads about that. Frazier is no different. He'd be thrilled if Cinci or Chicago would extend him 2-3 years before he hits FA because he's going to be 31 going to 32 when he hits FA. Get the contract signed and put $90 million in the bank and he'll be happy, I'm quite sure.

Yeah I mean the guy was with the team 1 year...the team was bad, he under performed, there was clubhouse drama, and the manager left/got fired. Not so sure I see his motivation for an extension other than what he deems fair market value.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 06:02 PM)

Samardzija was pretty adamant he was going to be a free agent,

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 08:30 PM)
Samardzija was pretty adamant he was going to be a free agent,

Samardzija's agent, Mark Rodgers, appeared on MLB Network Radio's "The Front Office" with Jim Bowden and Jim Duquette on Sunday to discuss the idea of staying in Chicago for the long haul. Samardzija has been part of a big offseason in the Windy City, as the White Sox have also acquired closer David Robertson, outfielder Melky Cabrera, first baseman Adam LaRoche and reliever Zach Duke this winter.

"Obviously they really put in a lot of effort this offseason to make that club better," Rodgers said. "And so out of due respect to [White Sox chairman] Mr. [Jerry] Reinsdorf and to [general manager] Rick Hahn, who's done a heck of a job, and [executive vice president] Kenny Williams, I told those guys, 'Any time you want to talk, I'll listen. Jeff and I will certainly talk.'"

Link

QUOTE (Sockin @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
FWIW Todd has been vocal today about the Sox direction. He was on Casey Stern'a show today saying he thinks the Sox are close to intending and you can't trade a guy like Sale. He also has retweeted someone saying the Sox need to keep and extend Frazier.

I like Frazier and fully respect his opinion, but he's delusional if he actually believes what he's saying.

At least one article claims the Yankees may be interested in Frazier.Yanks reportedly interested in Frazier

They really want to lose Headley and also may want Frazier's power at DH, so this might make sense for the Yanks.

I never considered them as a trading partner so I am not sure what they might agree to send back to the Sox for the Toddfather.

This could be good news for Matt Davidson and Saladino but losing Frazier would create a large hole in the White Sox power numbers and continue the annual revolving door at third base.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
At least one article claims the Yankees may be interested in Frazier.Yanks reportedly interested in Frazier

They really want to lose Headley and also may want Frazier's power at DH, so this might make sense for the Yanks.

I never considered them as a trading partner so I am not sure what they might agree to send back to the Sox for the Toddfather.

This could be good news for Matt Davidson and Saladino but losing Frazier would create a large hole in the White Sox power numbers and continue the annual revolving door at third base.

This article doesn't seem to know what it is talking about.

As reported by NJ, aside from the New Jersey native Frazier, the Yankees might go all the way and sign also the left-handed ace Chris Sale from the White Sox. Though it is most likely that they will pick Frazier over Sale if ever the White Sox are truly shopping both players.

Will the New York Yankees be able to sign Chicago White Sox third baseman Todd Frazier this offseason? Stay tuned for the latest news and updates on this MLB trade rumor.

The language "Sign" is not what anyone would use to describe the pursuits of Sale and Frazier. Is this a poor translation thing happening? I don't know this source at all so the fact that it is calling trades "signings" leaves me with little confidence.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)

Nice too bad it didn't happen. Samrdzija certainly wasn't on the radio hoping for an extension either.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/no-e...samardzija.html

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/samardz...-its-difficult/

The last quote in the second link tells you all you need to know. Quite different from what Frazier is saying.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)
Honestly, why is anyone upset about this? What else is Frazier going to say? I wouldn't want him to think anything else.

He wanted to stay in Cincy, even when he knew they were rebuilding. He seems like a pretty low maintenance and content kind of guy.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
They finished 16.5 games out of first in their division, what the f*** is this dude talking about?

What do you want him to say. He is saying all the right things from a players perspective. He wants to contend and he wants to stay here. Doesn't mean he will, but would you rather him say, we can't do it, we are terrible and I hope management goes in a totally different direction? Why would he say that? By all accounts Frazier is a good teammate, that said, I'm tired of consistently seeing the articles from our team leaders about how ignore last year, we will do better this year and absolutely have the talent. We've consistently underperformed expectations (on paper) for a long time and it has largely been due to veterans not playing good enough or missing the mark. It happens in baseball, but I feel like for us it has been at a much greater percentage.