Otani to be posted in 2017 Offseason

bmags

I would be fine with ungodly sums to go to Otani if it meant the White Sox could sign him.

I know, I know, will never happen.

But man I hope a team that isn't the cubs/red sox/dodgers/yankees sign him.

Edited by bmags

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)

I would be fine with ungodly sums to go to Otani if it meant the White Sox could sign him.

I know, I know, will never happen.

But man I hope a team that isn't the cubs/red sox/dodgers/yankees sign him.

Seems like a total Cubs signing just waiting to happen.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
Seems like an ace to go after for a rebuild

Maybe, but also seems like a player to draw attention to a middling franchise. Let him play 2 ways, and let the team build up to 2019.

Otani succeeding would put global eyes on white sox.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
Liquidate everything and sign him.

A player this valuable essentially breaks the game. Enabling him to play both sides of the ball at a high level would be unreal.

Don't even have to liquidate. The Sox have $35M committed to the 2018 season and that includes Quintana, Robertson and the whole dollar amount of Shields' deal (I forget how much the Padres are paying).

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
As a baseball fan, I hope he goes to the National League. His bat is just as good as his arm. Well, maybe not as good, but its damn impressive.

Play him at DH. A pitcher that also hits throughout the week (well) would be a sensation.

I was in Japan for my honeymoon in September. I saw three baseball games live, but unfortunately no PL games. I caught a Fighters game on TV in a hotel, though. Otani wasn't pitching, but he ripped a double into the gap. He is a really big kid, and has a lefty uppercut swing, unlike a lot of Ichiro-esque contact hitters in that league. It really looks like it's a swing that will translate to the MLB, in my non-professional opinion.

Also, Brandon Laird hit 40+ bombs in the NPB each of the last two seasons for the Fighters, lmao.

If anything the AL may be a better landing spot for him because his bat can play DH on off-days. Or maybe the NL is better because of double switches and pinch hitting. Or maybe Otani cant pinch hit. Or maybe he cant hit at all and this two-way player nonsense is just the same "mysterious talent from the orient with an historic, one-of-a-kind gamebreaking skill" myth that the gyroball was.

The issue isn't money, they most he can make from the Sox is $4.75m (and Sox will not be players at all in LatAm for a year). Most he can get from anybody is $5.75m from the small market teams. So he'll go where he just wants to go.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
Don't even have to liquidate. The Sox have $35M committed to the 2018 season and that includes Quintana, Robertson and the whole dollar amount of Shields' deal (I forget how much the Padres are paying).

Play him at DH. A pitcher that also hits throughout the week (well) would be a sensation.

Plus he will only be able to sign for about $6M. More than affordable.

The Dodgers, Giants, Astros, Cubs, Royals, Braves, Reds, A's, Padres, and Nationals will all be under penalty and unable to sign a player for more than $300K.

The White Sox have the same bonus pool as the Yankees under the new system, which is $4.75M, and they can each trade to have up to $8.3M.

The Pirates, Indians, and Orioles could all offer more based on the new formula that assigns slots based on market size and revenue.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
So the question becomes, would it be worth blowing your entire years signing allotment to bring Otani over?

I think if you sign him and flip him the next winter, you are going to get far better prospects than you would from signing kids on J2.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
There's no chance Otani is going to come over for $8 million. He'd get $200 million if he waits until his 25th birthday. That was leaked to see if MLB would change a rule. If they don't, we won't see him until 2019.

His contract will expire before then, so his team will want to cash in on him or they risk letting him go for nothing. If they re-sign him, there is no guarantee they will post him again until his next contract is near expiration. In the long run, he makes more money if he comes now, and gets to arbitration quickly as a super two, and will be a FA in 2022 at age 28 when he can really cash in given track record and age.