Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
4 of their top 10 prospects, all position players? Sign me up.

I'm sure Rockies fans would be frustrated if the team does nothing to improve its rotation and bullpen. They have the lineup to compete, but the rotation and especially bullpen leave a ton to be desired.

Standing pat is not really an option for them

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
I'm sure Rockies fans would be frustrated if the team does nothing to improve its rotation and bullpen. They have the lineup to compete, but the rotation and especially bullpen leave a ton to be desired.

Standing pat is not really an option for them

Yeah at some point they need to just go all in. Whatever they've been doing the past however many years isn't working.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Hahn should have a statue erected of himself in front of the G Spot if he can get Rodgers, Dahl, McMahon, and Murphy for Q.

I am not feeling the McMahon love at all

Striking out at a 30% rate in AA and only batting .242 is very concerning to me. Major league pitchers tend to eat high strikeout players alive. He is blocked by Arenado, but I'm not sure he is the answer in a trade. This is a make or break season for him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
Yeah at some point they need to just go all in. Whatever they've been doing the past however many years isn't working.

Agreed

Unless they improve the rotation and bullpen that team is not going to the playoff anytime soon

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)

Striking out at a 30% rate in AA and only batting .242 is very concerning to me. Major league pitchers tend to eat high strikeout players alive. He is blocked by Arenado, but I'm not sure he is the answer in a trade. This is a make or break season for him.

But if he is the fourth piece after Dahl, Rodgers, and Murphy - sign me up.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
But if he is the fourth piece after Dahl, Rodgers, and Murphy - sign me up.

Dahl is their starting left fielder in 2017, he is not going to be traded

A deal would be centered around Rodgers who is several years away

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 08:14 AM)
I really think the Sox would consider a Martes/Tucker/Reed/Perez offer if the Astros won't dish up Musgrove

if mugrove is the hold up I would love to see Martes/Tucker/Reed/Laureano/Stubbs

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)

Same. No thanks on McMahon. The fangraphs portion on him was quite sobering. He has the kind of warts that the White Sox typically are unable to address.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
My proposed deal had AJ Reed and Kyle Tucker going to the White Sox, two guys with potential plus bat, as well as Francis Martes and Franklin Perez two potential plus arms

That would be a fantastic trade for the Sox, and might be more palatable for the Astros as they do not have to give up an mlb starter in Musgrove, or anyone off the current roster

I missed Reed's inclusion. Is he a bat w/ a lot of upside? His numbers are miserable last year in MLB.

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
I missed Reed's inclusion. Is he a bat w/ a lot of upside? His numbers are miserable last year in MLB.

Reed did very well in the minor leagues and has plus power potential

He has a strong arm, but at 6'4" 275 lbs he is not very quick or mobile as a defender, which limits him to playing passable 1B or DH

He does take walks and appeared to be a great prospect heading into 2016, but a disastrous 48 game mlb stretch that saw him hit .164 with a 34% strikeout rate and bat only .064 vs. lefties has really hit his value. Questions about his conditioning have cropped up as he has put on weight. He is working to get in better shape.

He would be a great buy low guy as a third piece in a Quintana deal as it is too soon to give up on him. His upside is Anthony Rizzo, but his downside is Jon Singleton

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
Thanks but still think the headline piece we get back for Q needs to be a top positional player prospect. Not a buy-low guy or an outfielder who could be above-average.

No one said that "a buy-low guy or an outfielder who could be above-average" should be the center piece.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
Dahl is their starting left fielder in 2017, he is not going to be traded

A deal would be centered around Rodgers who is several years away

I don't think the Rox want to trade Dahl, but they're idiots if they plan to play Desmond at 1B. And in order for him to go to the OF, they need to trade either Dahl, Gonzalez or Blackmon.

And they badly need pitching.

I can guarantee you Hahn is asking for Dahl.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
I don't think the Rox want to trade Dahl, but they're idiots if they plan to play Desmond at 1B. And in order for him to go to the OF, they need to trade either Dahl, Gonzalez or Blackmon.

Agreed. They were also rumored to still have interest in Trumbo.

Guys, this is why you have to be careful with sample sizes and stats:

- Reed had only 15 ABs all of last year against lefties in the majors. 1-15 is bad, but Alex Bregman started 1-32 OVERALL.

- The guy had an 870 OPS against lefties in the minors last year.

- He's 23 and sprinted through the minors. Still tons of time to develop.

Way way too early to call him a platoon bat. Would love to see him in a Q deal as a buy low.

QUOTE (Username @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)

- Reed had only 15 ABs all of last year against lefties in the majors. 1-15 is bad, but Alex Bregman started 1-32 OVERALL.

Way way too early to call him a platoon bat. Would love to see him in a Q deal as a buy low.

As a final piece, I'd be ok with him.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)

Rockies won't be parting with Dahl. He is under team control until after 2022 and will be a corner OF fixture for them

Rodgers I could see them parting with as he is unlikely to make the big league until halfway through 2018 at the earliest. He'll likely start the season at high A Lancaster and spend the majority of the season there, possibly getting called up to AA later in the season. That makes him more expendable because he won't impact the mlb roster anytime soon, plus their infield is loaded with talent.

If he goes 7-41 with a double , 2 homers, 3 walks, and 18 strikeouts his next 44 PA vs. LHP, he will equal Kyle Schwarber. Vs RHP was a problem, but BA had this guy the #11 prospect in the game prior to last year. The Sox need power. If you can get him as a throw in, it's really a no brainer.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
Rockies won't be parting with Dahl. He is under team control until after 2022 and will be a corner OF fixture for them

Rodgers I could see them parting with as he is unlikely to make the big league until halfway through 2018 at the earliest. He'll likely start the season at high A Lancaster and spend the majority of the season there, possibly getting called up to AA later in the season. That makes him more expendable because he won't impact the mlb roster anytime soon, plus their infield is loaded with talent.

Hah, ok. Heard the same thing about Moncada.

The Rockies can probably make a deal without including Dahl, but when you're the Rockies, and you have the chance to acquire a TOR pitcher locked up 4 years at what you pay a #5 these days, no one is off limits.

Small sample size, yes. But 48 major league games is not small enough to totally dismiss.

Reed had 17 plate appearances against lefties and struck out 9 times, which is awful.

The bigger concern for me is that he stuck at at a 31% rate in 124 plate appearances against righties.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
Hah, ok. Heard the same thing about Moncada.

The Rockies can probably make a deal without including Dahl, but when you're the Rockies, and you have the chance to acquire a TOR pitcher locked up 4 years at what you pay a #5 these days, no one is off limits.

The lesson we have learned from trades is that teams are largely unwilling to part with players that impact their immediate mlb rosters (Bregman, Turner, Swanson, Benintendi, etc.), but are willing to part with prospects that are not mlb ready right now (Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, Basabe, Diaz). It makes sense because subtracting a bat from the mlb roster creates another hole to fill.

Rodgers should very much be on the table in trade talks though