Ryan Howard (no news weekend, so why not?)

caulfield12

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/ryan-howa...-201321226.html

Depending on the price, there's almost no risk...just like with Rollins/Latos last April/May.

The only cost is potentially blocking at-bats for Davidson/Avi Garcia/Coats at the moment. Something like this is more likely than Morneau coming back to the Sox or paying even more for an Alvarez/Chris Carter/Valbuena, etc.

KW always gets his man, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)

Depending on the price, there's almost no risk...just like with Rollins/Latos last April/May.

The only cost is potentially blocking at-bats for Davidson/Avi Garcia/Coats at the moment. Something like this is more likely than Morneau coming back to the Sox or paying even more for an Alvarez/Chris Carter/Valbuena, etc.

Hahaha this would be such a White Sox signing

This goes along the lines with my thoughts on other FA. As it gets closer to ST I would take a look at who's available and then I'd pick the guys who fit best to have a chance at returning a low level prospect at the deadline.

I'm not sure Howard fits that for me. Phillies probably desperately wanted to trade him and couldn't find anything. I think even with a $1-2mm salary attached he's not getting you anybody.

I'd be more inclined to look at a Morneau again or a Luis Valbuena or Rasmus, Revere, etc.

Valbuena can play around the diamond and we all know there are trends in baseball. Since the Royals started it a few years ago, everybody is on the "Bullpen" bandwagon. All of a sudden, and as you can tell with these contracts being passed out, relievers are gold.

The next trend I see happening is the utility player being the golden ticket. So you've seen it with Zobrist and Baez. But I think managers are trending towards "flexibility". If you stick so and so player at 2b today then you can start this guy in LF who has better splits against LHP"

I can see people like Saladino and Valbuena having some extra worth to them. And to an extent Lawrie around the IF.

In terms of Morneau, I just think his upside is larger than a Howard.

I agree though, these FA signed to 1 or 2 year deals aren't blocking anybody and if picked off correctly should be able to be flipped when necessary.

I live in the Philly market so I've had the misfortune of watching a good amount of Howard's AB's the past few years....there's nothing left. He might have the worst pitch recognition of anyone I've ever seen. 3 breaking balls in the dirt and the AB is over most of the time. Combine that with Father Time catching up to his bat speed and really honestly can't see him having kind of sustained success in the big league anymore.

I get the idea, but I think Howard's time is up. Take that gamble on someone who actually has a shot

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
This goes along the lines with my thoughts on other FA. As it gets closer to ST I would take a look at who's available and then I'd pick the guys who fit best to have a chance at returning a low level prospect at the deadline.

I'm not sure Howard fits that for me. Phillies probably desperately wanted to trade him and couldn't find anything. I think even with a $1-2mm salary attached he's not getting you anybody.

I'd be more inclined to look at a Morneau again or a Luis Valbuena or Rasmus, Revere, etc.

Valbuena can play around the diamond and we all know there are trends in baseball. Since the Royals started it a few years ago, everybody is on the "Bullpen" bandwagon. All of a sudden, and as you can tell with these contracts being passed out, relievers are gold.

The next trend I see happening is the utility player being the golden ticket. So you've seen it with Zobrist and Baez. But I think managers are trending towards "flexibility". If you stick so and so player at 2b today then you can start this guy in LF who has better splits against LHP"

I can see people like Saladino and Valbuena having some extra worth to them. And to an extent Lawrie around the IF.

In terms of Morneau, I just think his upside is larger than a Howard.

I agree though, these FA signed to 1 or 2 year deals aren't blocking anybody and if picked off correctly should be able to be flipped when necessary.

I agree with this. No one is trading for a 37 year old Howard unless he is mashing the ball. I'd rather give the at bats to someone already here or another sign-and-flip candidate.

Edited by soxfan2014

We do have that propensity for HoF or borderline guys at the end of their careers. Kind of Sox tradition.

And, speaking of the Phils or ex-Phils, there's always Domonic Brown. Is he still with the Jays? At least he's "only" 29 still.

Or perhaps trading a young (prospect) pitcher for Odubel Herrera? The problem is they just gave him an Eaton contract, so they look at him as part of their new core going forward.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
We do have that propensity for HoF or borderline guys at the end of their careers. Kind of Sox tradition.

And, speaking of the Phils or ex-Phils, there's always Domonic Brown. Is he still with the Jays? At least he's "only" 29 still.

Or perhaps trading a young (prospect) pitcher for Odubel Herrera? The problem is they just gave him an Eaton contract, so they look at him as part of their new core going forward.

Lol, they're not trading a dude they extended like 3 days ago.

The problem with that, GreenSox, is the likelihood of any of those Sox prospects (Liriano, Coats, Sanchez, Engel, May, Davidson, Avi Garcia if you want to lump him in still) making it are pretty much slim and none.

So you've got the potential of a Saladino being a regular player...finding perhaps another 2-3 WAR bat if everything goes well.

Counterbalanced against the need to have SOMEONE interesting for the fans to watch (that's the danger of trading Abreu, Cabrera and Frazier all before the season even begins)...the possible payoff in flipping them at the deadline for an even better prospect vs. whatever salary savings you can get (although the Sox already signed Holland, so they're not going for a $50 million payroll this year, obviously).

Of course, they're also more limited in where they can spend that "found" money, for example, Latin America.

But yeah, we can continue to make the argument that Semien (and possibly Thompson/Montas) would be key parts of the youth movement already if we hadn't tried to go for it prematurely.

But it's the same issue with guys like Lawrie, Putnam, Petricka...the value of playing them and flipping them vs. the value of shedding payroll immediately and plugging in youngsters everywhere (in that case, they would have already parted ways with Lawrie and Avi Garcia). We MIGHT have a regular 2B/3B in Saladino, but the jury's still out. All those other players listed, we MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT get one regular, but it's just as likely we don't.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)
All that signing this guy will do is crowd out the necessary and important auditions of younger players. Some of these young players will be part of the next good Sox team and some won't. It's time to find out about the Coats, et al.

It's true that, of all the gaping holes to fill with a potential trade-chip veteran during a rebuild, a DH is the one that makes the least sense.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 12:01 AM)
It's true that, of all the gaping holes to fill with a potential trade-chip veteran during a rebuild, a DH is the one that makes the least sense.

But can't you make the argument that it's much more important (for a rebuilding team) to first find everyday infielders (3B/SS/2B), a catcher and a CFer, and that the corner outfield spots along with 1B and DH are the most "replaceable" and therefore it doesn't really matter unless you're blocking a top prospect from getting playing time who plays there?

Because Lawrie or Garcia or Coats or Davidson putting up "decent" numbers at DH doesn't do much for you as a rebuilding team...unless they could play a defensive position as well in an above average way, because their offensive numbers alone at DH will never justify their holding down that spot. Nor would they be attractive to other teams in terms of a flip/trade unless they were reliable veteran pieces (think of a Pearce type) who teams would desire during the heat a pennant or stretch drive.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 12:01 AM)

Especially while Avi is still wearing a Sox uni. Avi's best position is DH and we wouldn't want to take that from him. :P

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
Would be kind of cool if Howard went to Indy ball.

Howard definitely still wants to play. He's working out like a madman and hired a personal chef . So in a monht or 2 we should be hearing stories about Howard having lost 25 pounds and being leaner and meaner.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 05:35 AM)
We need to sign players we could flip. I'd love to watch Howard hit some bombs....and strike out 394 times but what the hell...

On the other hand, you might get stuck with guys like Rasmus, Alvarez or Carter (at $6-10 million) and not be able to unload them (or that they will be exposed to zero lineup protection if we trade Abreu, Frazier and Cabrera)...a number of posters have argued that we overpaid for Holland, but at least he and Miggy and Shields can help mentor the younger pitching prospects.

The obvious problem is that (for now) we don't have enough position prospects who merit MLB playing time in 2017.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)

That dude is cooked. He needs to retire.