Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 06:06 PM)
You can keep telling yourself this, but the Sox are doing a legit rebuild.

I didn't say their rebuild is not legit. But it is very strange that they were able to trade their 2 "clubhouse problems" pretty quickly but were not able to move any of the other 23 players on their roster. I think a lot of fans( just look at this thread) expected more trades before spring training . But it looks like the FO may have a much longer timeline for the rebuild than the fans in order to try and keep the product on the field somewhat competitive. That is also a legit rebuild approach.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)
I didn't say their rebuild is not legit. But it is very strange that they were able to trade their 2 "clubhouse problems" pretty quickly but were not able to move any of the other 23 players on their roster. I think a lot of fans( just look at this thread) expected more trades before spring training . But it looks like the FO may have a much longer timeline for the rebuild than the fans in order to try and keep the product on the field somewhat competitive. That is also a legit rebuild approach.

Even though I don't believe that was the motive for dealing Sale and Eaton, I'll agree that it can't be ignored as possibly playing some part in it. But they also both happen to be the most valuable trade chips the Sox had. I think every needs to keep in mind that there really haven't been any trades this offseason like years past (with exception to the Mariners). It's been an extremely slow market. Perhaps the trades of Chapman, Miller, Sale, and Eaton dried it up a lot sooner than everyone was anticipating. The nice thing is that it finally seems like Hahn is steering the ship. KW would have traded Q by now for whatever he could get.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 06:27 PM)

Except the product currently on the field is not somewhat competitive, the Sox are a bottom 5 team right now.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
Except the product currently on the field is not somewhat competitive, the Sox are a bottom 5 team right now.

They may be but they are also in what may be the worse division in baseball this year. So that may keep them competitive until the trade deadline.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 07:59 PM)
I wonder if Lawrie can play Left Field like Zobrist can. I'd rather have Melky in RF than Avi.

Kick Avi to the curb and put Melky at DH. They can leave Lawrie at 2B and try Saladino in left or right field too. Might be easier to sell Lawrie at the deadline as an experienced 2B than as a new outfielder.

Rum Bunter ‏@rumbunter 12h12 hours ago

More

Pirate prospects in Baseball America's new top 100:

6 - Austin Meadows

22 - Mitch Keller

23 - Tyler Glasnow

35 - Josh Bell

55 - Kevin Newman

Rum Bunter ‏@rumbunter 1h1 hour ago

More

@rbrockets They offered 3 top 50 overall prospects, another one of their top 10 prospects, a current MLB SP, and another current MLB player

I don't believe this for one second

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)

More

6 - Austin Meadows

22 - Mitch Keller

23 - Tyler Glasnow

35 - Josh Bell

55 - Kevin Newman

More

@rbrockets They offered 3 top 50 overall prospects, another one of their top 10 prospects, a current MLB SP, and another current MLB player

I think that's bulls***, Hahn would have accepted that trade if it were the case.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)

More

6 - Austin Meadows

22 - Mitch Keller

23 - Tyler Glasnow

35 - Josh Bell

55 - Kevin Newman

More

There's no way in hell the Sox turned down a package like that. And no way I buy them offering a 6 for 1 deal unless one of those MLB players had a bad contract like Bastardo.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)

I think the educated fan can pretty obviously follow the trade market and understand why Sale and Eaton got moved, and why others didn't... And it isn't because the government was behind 9/11.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
There's no way in hell the Sox turned down a package like that. And no way I buy them offering a 6 for 1 deal unless one of those MLB players had a bad contract like Bastardo.

Keller, Glasnow, Bell, Hayes, Diaz...I can't figure out who the "SP currently in MLB" is, unless they're just naming Glasnow twice. Not a big fan of that deal. Meadows, Glasnow/Keller (I prefer Glasnow because the White Sox are great at fixing control issues), Bell, Hayes probably gets it done for me.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
Keller, Glasnow, Bell, Hayes, Diaz...I can't figure out who the "SP currently in MLB" is, unless they're just naming Glasnow twice. Not a big fan of that deal. Meadows, Glasnow/Keller (I prefer Glasnow because the White Sox are great at fixing control issues), Bell, Hayes probably gets it done for me.

Meadows, Glasnow/Keller, & Bell would be way better than the Sale return and then you throw in another prospect who is considered top 100 on some lists. No way in hell that is happening.

And rumbunter said Diaz wasn't in the package, so perhaps that 4th prospect is Craig or Tucker. If Hahn passed on a deal with either of those guys plus Glasnow, Keller, Newman, & others then he's f***ijg crazy IMO. That being said, I don't buy this rumor for a second.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
I think the educated fan can pretty obviously follow the trade market and understand why Sale and Eaton got moved, and why others didn't... And it isn't because the government was behind 9/11.

I said way back that Q would not be traded this winter and several educated fans on this site said I was wrong. "Just look at all the rumors" they said. Well I will predict Q will be still w the Sox when spring training opens this week. He also will be with the Sox when the season ends as well.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)

I think he's considering Newman a top 50 prospect, even though he's #55 now. Because the same guy previously said the Pirates absolutely won't move Bell or Meadows to the Sox.

So I'd think it's probably Glasnow, Newman, Keller, Diaz, plus whatever SP he is talking about...maybe a salary dump?

It is possible that any team that is considering a trade for Quintana may be waiting to see him pitch in the WBC which extends through mid- March. I would guess there will be several scouts there watching him.

Those who want a trade to happen before the season starts will be hoping that he performs well there.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)
I said way back that Q would not be traded this winter and several educated fans on this site said I was wrong. "Just look at all the rumors" they said. Well I will predict Q will be still w the Sox when spring training opens this week. He also will be with the Sox when the season ends as well.

But you're arguing that Quintana is still here because the front office doesn't want to move him. And honestly, all their public statements and pretty much every rumor suggests the Sox would like to move everyone not named Anderson & Rodon. Just because they haven't moved someone yet doesn't mean they wouldn't like to. Takes two sides to make a deal and it seems that teams aren't willing to pony up for Quintana.

That being said, why do you think the Sox want to keep Quintana exactly? What's their end game with him? Why are you predicting he will be here at the end of the season 2017 season?

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)

The absolute dumbest thing the White Sox can do for their rebuild is take too little for Q. If it means holding on to him, that is the smart thing to do. It has nothing to do with front office favoritism.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 07:29 AM)

More

Yea, not a chance.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
I find it plausible. Sox scouts may be very low on one or more of those top 50 prospects. Just because they are ranked on some prospect list doesnt mean the Sox value them that way.

No way the pirates offered six players for quintana. That would make very little sense.