Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
It does if those 2 mlb players are a salary dump

Sure, I just don't think that narrative fits. Looking at there roster I don't really see any current SP that could be considered a salary dumb. For the other current mlb player the only guys I could see maybe being bad contracts are Harrison, Bastardo, who if he had a good season could be a trade deadline flip candidate or Kang who could simply be released.

Edited by credezcrew24

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
It does if those 2 mlb players are a salary dump

Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. The player could have been Freese or Jaso and the SP could have been Cole. Wouldn't be surprised if the Pirates were pushing to trade Cole and not Glasnow.

Still yet, I find it hard to believe a team like the Pirates would offer that many players for Q. There is nothing in their trade history to back up that claim made by rumbunter. To the best of my knowledge they have never made the kind of trade that would require the haul that Q does.

All one needs to see is this at the top of rumbunter's twitter is " everyone thinks we're Neil Huntington apologists". That latest blurb sounds like an attempt to paint the Sox as the bad guys in the eyes of Pirates fans because they did seem to have high hopes of acquiring Q and now those hopes appear to be dead for the time being. Simply put, damage control.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
Sure, I just don't think that narrative fits. Looking at there roster I don't really see any current SP that could be considered a salary dumb. For the other current mlb player the only guys I could see maybe being bad contracts are Harrison, Bastardo, who if he had a good season could be a trade deadline flip candidate or Kang who could simply be released.

I agree with the SP being a head scratcher but it is possible that player could be Glasnow since he did pitch in the majors last season. Maybe it was a 5 player proposal inatead of 6.

Glasnow, Keller, Newman, top 10, Bastardo

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
That was my impression too.

Just a few weeks back rumbunter claimed the Pirates made a three prospect offer to the Sox and now he's claiming three more players were offered on top of that? If it smells like bulls*** and looks like bulls*** then it probably is bulls***. Definitely damage control in my eyes.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
Maybe he's saying the different types of players being offered of the course of various deals.

Maybe one deal was 2 Top 50s and MLB player, the other was 3 Top 50s.

Maybe he's a jackass?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
Maybe he's saying the different types of players being offered of the course of various deals.

Maybe one deal was 2 Top 50s and MLB player, the other was 3 Top 50s.

Is twitter such a difficult medium to master that people cannot be more clear in the intended meaning or are tweeters just purposefully vague in order to disguise their ineptitude or ignorance of their native tongue ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 05:44 PM)
Is twitter such a difficult medium to master that people cannot be more clear in the intended meaning or are tweeters just purposefully vague in order to disguise their ineptitude or ignorance of their native tongue ?

I think some use the disguise of being vague to keep people coming back in search of the latest info. Same can be said for some of the self proclaimed insiders when they use the " talks are fluid " which to me is another way of being vague. I think we're all intelligent enough to already know that trade discussions are fluid and can change so it's really just pointing out the obvious in an illusion to appear to have that insider status. Sean Sears is a primary example of this.

IMO, no trade for Q will get done until after he is done pitching in the WBC. That gives teams more time to assess the pitching they have in Spring Training and also allows their scouts to get a last look at Q on the mound.

Anyway, Q will be pitching for Columbia vs. the USA team on March 10. That's four weeks away, so perhaps it is time to take a chill pill on Q rumors until then. That's not saying it can't happen, just that I think it is unlikely.

(Now that I said that, a trade probably happens Monday).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
The absolute dumbest thing the White Sox can do for their rebuild is take too little for Q. If it means holding on to him, that is the smart thing to do. It has nothing to do with front office favoritism.

Yes, but you have to be flexible and have some finesse when doing so. There are a number of ways to get value.

What is "too little" today becomes "market value" soon enough if the Sox hold onto him. Last July, Benintendi was "too little" and by December he was too much.

And there are risks attached with any pitcher; I think hesitation until after the WBC is plausible and understandable.

Q has always seemed to me to be a better winter trade candidate than July. Much of his value is in contract amount and length. These things are most important and valuable to teams as they plan out their organization and team for the next year and in the future.

In July, the priorities shift to someone who can pitch well, not for 3 years, but for 4 months. Contract and length aren't as important.

Q needs to be moved.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
Yes, but you have to be flexible and have some finesse when doing so. There are a number of ways to get value.

What is "too little" today becomes "market value" soon enough if the Sox hold onto him. Last July, Benintendi was "too little" and by December he was too much.

And there are risks attached with any pitcher; I think hesitation until after the WBC is plausible and understandable.

Q has always seemed to me to be a better winter trade candidate than July. Much of his value is in contract amount and length. These things are most important and valuable to teams as they plan out their organization and team for the next year and in the future.

In July, the priorities shift to someone who can pitch well, not for 3 years, but for 4 months. Contract and length aren't as important.

Q needs to be moved.

I agree that it makes sense to move Quintana now, but if the Astros won't even give a prospect like Kyle Tucker then we really have no chance but to wait. Apparently the desperation factor just isn't there yet.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)

Q needs to be moved.

Except Benitendi and Moncada both weren't on the table in July.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)
This thread needs Con Te Giolito, his deluge of posts, and his pants-pissing routine that assumes that Q will SURELY get injured if he isn't traded NOW for any meager pittance.

Whatever happened to that guy?

Hahaha hr was a sky is falling poster

I'm sure he's lurking. The message board needs a few of those to freshen things up

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)

Were there meaningful talks last July between ChiSox/Bosox about Sale/Benitendi/Moncada? Can't remember.

No knowledge of discussions, but I'd almost guarantee Moncada was off the table but Benintendi might have been had. Remember that was before he was called up and went on a tear.

Also the Red Sox and White Sox situations are very different. The Red Sox called up both but not to play what had been their primary position. Because J. Bradley is elite in CF, Benintendi ended up in LF. Even if Bradley got moved last winter, Betts is considered a better CF than Benintendi so he still would have played a corner. Moncada was forced to move to 3rd. Maybe that was disruptive and contributed to his dismal performance.

But if either came to the White Sox they would have been able to play their primary positiom. Certainly with talent being close, a good CF is more valuable than a 2b.

I agree w many that Benintendi has a lower ceiling but Moncada still needs work offensively and defensively. Hopefully being back at 2B next week will have a positive impact on his bat and his head.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
Also the Red Sox and White Sox situations are very different. The Red Sox called up both but not to play what had been their primary position. Because J. Bradley is elite in CF, Benintendi ended up in LF. Even if Bradley got moved last winter, Betts is considered a better CF than Benintendi so he still would have played a corner. Moncada was forced to move to 3rd. Maybe that was disruptive and contributed to his dismal performance.

But if either came to the White Sox they would have been able to play their primary positiom. Certainly with talent being close, a good CF is more valuable than a 2b.

I agree w many that Benintendi has a lower ceiling but Moncada still needs work offensively and defensively. Hopefully being back at 2B next week will have a positive impact on his bat and his head.

Abreu will have a huge impact on Moncada as well. It'll be great to have the two of them working together in ST.