Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 07:47 PM)
This Phil Rogers piece from tonight says that the Astros have been unwilling to include to include Kyle Tucker in trade talks which is borderline insanity: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/215591558/wh...picid=151437456

It does explain why a deal hasn't been consummated if true.

That was surprisingly a good article. Me thinks Philly boy has been reading Soxtalk.

I'll humor them and try to put together an offer not including Musgrove, Bregman, Martes, or Tucker...

Paulino, Whitley, Reed, Fisher, Laureano, Stubbs.\

I would be ok with that, but would the Astros really want to give up 6 of their top 12 prospects instead of Tucker plus 2 or 3 others?

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

Looks like Q will be here til July. Not that thats a bad thing. Had a feeling all along the Astros would wait until mid-season. Their rotation can be good if everyone stays healthy (which doesn't seem likely).

I'll take a different approach and hope they're in the race in need of a starter.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 02:17 AM)
I'll humor them and try to put together an offer not including Musgrove, Bregman, Martes, or Tucker...

Paulino, Whitley, Reed, Fisher, Laureano, Stubbs.\

I would be ok with that, but would the Astros really want to give up 6 of their top 12 prospects instead of Tucker plus 2 or 3 others?

I wouldn't take that deal if I'm the Sox. If you substituted Perez for Laureano or Stubbs then maybe, but there's still a ton of risk with that package as guys are either far away or have huge question marks. Even if they would offer such a package, which is unlikely IMO, we're probably better waiting until the deadline and hoping for something with more certainty.

QUOTE (pablo @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 10:14 PM)
I find it interesting that Rogers mentions the Dodgers and Bellinger. We haven't heard any rumors regarding the Dodgers and Q as they seem intent on keeping their prospects and refraining from the big deals (Dozier). The fact he mentions the Dodgers suggests the teams are at least talking, right? Unless he's just pulling it out of his a**. If the Dodgers are legitimately interested, I'd be all for waiting until the deadline to see if their pitching staff has fallen apart by then like I suspect. At that point, they might be willing to include Bellinger.

Rogers could well be pulling the Dodgers stuff out of his ass right now, but I was just thinking last night that they're one of the most likely teams to be in the running for Q come July. I know people are bummed the Sox couldn't get a Q trade done in the offseason, but I actually think they'll be better off in July when the Dodgers, Yankees and Cubs — big-time prospect-rich teams with a willingness to spend and win — all could be in the mix. My prediction is the Astros are going to be kicking themselves for not making a trade over the winter when they see what they'll be up against in July.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 08:41 AM)
Has Q been on the DL even once in the past 4 years ? I tend to think not.

I don't think so. I just mentioned it because teams will be looking to upgrade their rotations. I'm not worried about Q getting injured, but it's always a possibility, not just with his arm. Fluke stuff happens all the time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 10:17 PM)
No Martes or Tucker is what we heard earlier.

Being unwilling to part with any of Musgrove, Martes or Tucker is crazy

I doubt Hahn would have even bothered listening if all three of those players were off the table in a Quintana deal

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
Rogers can't be right when he implies Tucker is untouchable. I'm sure it's more like....the Stros dont want him to be, say, a second piece. That they're suggesting other names in that 2nd-guy slot, and we dont like them.

Houston doesn't have enough for Q without including Tucker and Martes though IMO. Probably the same way for Rays and A's.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 07:43 PM)
Dumb thought, but could Houston or another team be waiting until after the WBC to complete a trade? Perhaps Quintana told the Sox he won't back out under any circumstance?

It's not out of the question the WBC is playing a factor. There was a quote from somebody (Hahn or Renteria) that Quintana is pitching in the WBC no matter what. So maybe teams (the Astros) want to wait until the dust has settled on that, and see where their own guys are in spring training, before making a move.

If Colombia gets eliminated quickly, Q could be back from Miami around March 12-13.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)
The number seems high to me but I started reading Passan's book, and he claims 52% of pitchers wind up on the DL every year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/2015-star...dl-projections/

This Rotographs article says that ~40% of starting pitchers make at least 1 DL trip every season, that seems about right.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
The number seems high to me but I started reading Passan's book, and he claims 52% of pitchers wind up on the DL every year.

Seems about right when you consider there is a group of the same pitchers out there who have a 100% chance of ending up on the DL at some point EVERY year...

Edited by FT35