President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 28, 2017 -> 09:48 PM)
How do you know what I experienced in terms of noticing a change? Do you say I'm flat out lying? Why would I do that on a message board. Do u suggest I am incapable of observation? How come some of you don't like to discuss issues just jump on the person (me) with the non-majority viewpoint?

There is a term for it. It's called "the blue car syndrome". The basic premise is that if you buy a blue car, then you suddenly notice a lot more other blue cars on the road. It doesn't mean that everyone suddenly went out and bought a blue car, you just never noticed before.

This is the exact same thing you are experiencing. People didn't stop saying Merry Christmas. You are just more hyper aware of it because you think Trump had something to do with it.

Edited by Iwritecode

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 31, 2017 -> 10:00 PM)
There is a term for it. It's called "the blue car syndrome". The basic premise is that if you buy a blue car, then you suddenly notice a lot more other blue cars on the road. It doesn't mean that everyone suddenly went out and bought a blue car, you just never noticed before.

This is the exact same thing you are experiencing. People didn't stop saying Merry Christmas. You are just more hyper aware of it because you think Trump had something to do with it.

I can accept your post as a very good one and intelligent, not like many of those blasting me. I don't completely agree with the premise because what my perception is, is I feel, a true perception. To tell you the truth the reason I first posted anything about Merry Christmas was somebody else mentioned to me how they noticed the change this year and it spurred me to say, "Definitely, me too." I don't know if it's all the blue car syndrome and I am me and know what me sees and hears.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 02:20 PM)
I can accept your post as a very good one and intelligent, not like many of those blasting me. I don't completely agree with the premise because what my perception is, is I feel, a true perception. To tell you the truth the reason I first posted anything about Merry Christmas was somebody else mentioned to me how they noticed the change this year and it spurred me to say, "Definitely, me too." I don't know if it's all the blue car syndrome and I am me and know what me sees and hears.

Of course you do. We all want to believe that we remember things exactly the way they actually happened. But that's just not how our brains work. They are fallible and prone to suggestions. There have been studies done where people are shown doctored or fake pictures of historical events and these people will "remember" facts that simply aren't true.

I know this probably won't do much good because of the backfire effect (the finding that people don't like to change their mind on things even when shown facts that prove they are wrong) but I'll post it anyway.

CLAIM: Before Trump, Americans had stopped saying “Merry Christmas.”

On numerous occasions both before and after becoming president, Donald Trump told supporters that “Merry Christmas” had become a thing of the past.

“You go into a department store,” he said during a stump speech in January 2016. “When was the last time you saw ‘Merry Christmas’? You don’t see it anymore. They want to be politically correct. If I’m president, you will see ‘Merry Christmas’ in department stores, believe me, believe me.”

Trump was echoing a complaint people have been making for the better part of 100 years: Christmas is too secularized. Henry Ford said as much in 1921: “Last Christmas most people had a hard time finding Christmas cards that indicated in any way that Christmas commemorated Someone’s Birth.”

Most often it’s couched in terms of people like department store greeters using a religiously neutral phrase like “Happy holidays” in place of “Merry Christmas.” And there have indeed been periods in American history when cultural preferences swung in a generally more secular direction and it was a popular sentiment to be as inclusive as possible in one’s holiday greetings.

What Trump and other present-day Christmas warriors seem unaware of, however, is that the last time saying “Merry Christmas” was an actual issue was in the early 2000s, when there was a trend among the larger retail chains to encourage employees to favor secular expressions of holiday cheer over religious ones. Former Fox News pundit Bill O’Reilly, among others, made much of this, calling it a “War on Christmas” and instigating national boycotts of businesses guilty of the affront.

This was a battle that O’Reilly declared victory in, however, when companies like Walmart, Target, Costco, and Macy’s owners Federated Department Stores announced in 2006 that they were changing their policies and reverting to “Merry Christmas” as the preferred holiday greeting. Ten years later in 2016, O’Reilly repeated his victory cry, saying, “Most companies stopped the nonsense and Merry Christmas became a common greeting once again.” President Trump must have missed that show.

We are also obliged to point out that “Happy holidays” and “Season’s greetings” are venerable salutations with their own longstanding pedigrees. The latter dates from the late nineteenth century. The use of “Happy holidays” in the United States dates back to the 1860s (if not earlier), and, especially for Christians who also observe the season of Advent, need not evoke secular connotations at all.

https://www.snopes.com/2017/12/27/trump-oba...r-on-christmas/

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 02:55 PM)
Of course you do. We all want to believe that we remember things exactly the way they actually happened. But that's just not how our brains work. They are fallible and prone to suggestions. There have been studies done where people are shown doctored or fake pictures of historical events and these people will "remember" facts that simply aren't true.

I know this probably won't do much good because of the backfire effect (the finding that people don't like to change their mind on things even when shown facts that prove they are wrong) but I'll post it anyway.

Damn code that nugget at end was savage. :lol:

I read what you copy and pasted Iwritecode. I can buy that. You have supported your stance well. In a debate I'm sure your evidence, if the article was substantiated as true and correct, would deem you the victor in any debate with me on this.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 03:19 PM)
I read what you copy and pasted Iwritecode. I can buy that. You have supported your stance well. In a debate I'm sure your evidence, if the article was substantiated as true and correct, would deem you the victor in any debate with me on this.

The article is from Snopes, they're known as fact checkers and well respected by pretty much everyone. What further substantiation do you need?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 02:55 PM)

You go into a department store....when was the last time Trump went into a department store?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 09:25 PM)
The article is from Snopes, they're known as fact checkers and well respected by pretty much everyone. What further substantiation do you need?

I said he wins the argument in a debate format. He's the winner. However, I see what I see. I know what I know.

Big new political science study on "Fake News" is out

‘Fake News’: Wide Reach but Little Impact, Study Suggests

Key findings:

-heavily concentrated among w/most conservative info diets

-Facebook key vector of exposure

-fact-checks did not reach those exposed

this is a pretty interesting finding that supports other previous research on how effective fact-checking efforts are and persuasion efforts focused on presenting factual rebuttals in general are:

DSipSCMXUAAvFDg.jpg

I'm not sure if this research dug into it, but previous studies have found that when you present someone who strongly believes in something with contradicting evidence, it's more likely that their (incorrect) belief will be strengthened, not lessened.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 08:52 AM)
Big new political science study on "Fake News" is out

‘Fake News’: Wide Reach but Little Impact, Study Suggests

Key findings:

-heavily concentrated among w/most conservative info diets

-Facebook key vector of exposure

-fact-checks did not reach those exposed

this is a pretty interesting finding that supports other previous research on how effective fact-checking efforts are and persuasion efforts focused on presenting factual rebuttals in general are:

DSipSCMXUAAvFDg.jpg

I'm not sure if this research dug into it, but previous studies have found that when you present someone who strongly believes in something with contradicting evidence, it's more likely that their (incorrect) belief will be strengthened, not lessened.

We call this “greg-d”

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 08:52 AM)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 08:56 AM)
We call this “greg-d”

That's what I was talking about when I mentioned the backfire effect.

By the time the dinner was over, the (four South American) leaders were in shock, and not just over the idle talk of armed conflict. No matter how prepared they were, eight months into an American presidency like no other, this was somehow not what they expected. A former senior U.S. official with whom I spoke was briefed by ministers from three of the four countries that attended the dinner. “Without fail, they just had wide eyes about the entire engagement,” the former official told me. Even if few took his martial bluster about (going to war with) Venezuela seriously, Trump struck them as uninformed about their issues and dangerously unpredictable, asking them to expend political capital on behalf of a U.S. that no longer seemed a reliable partner. “The word they all used was: ‘This guy is insane.’”

And news was making the rounds of an equally disastrous private meeting he had earlier in the day in Brussels with the leaders of the European Union. But what was not reported at the time was that even after all of that, some European leaders came away most disturbed by what Trump said at their private dinner. “He was very tough and very outspoken in his intervention,” a European diplomat in attendance confirmed to me about the meal. Another European attendee said Trump at the dinner was “unlike anything they’ve ever heard” in such a setting. “All this bluster and blasting. He walks in and starts talking, breaking china all over the place.” And to top it off, Trump left early.

So what the hell is going on? I’ve come to believe that when it comes to Trump and the world, it’s not better than you think. It’s worse. The president is not playing the leadership role the rest of the world has come to expect from the United States, and the consequences are piling up. Still, it is also true that the world hasn’t exactly melted down—yet—as a consequence, leading some to conclude that Trump is merely a sort of cartoonishly incompetent front man, a Twitter demagogue whose nuclear-tinged rhetoric and predilection for cozying up to dictators should be discounted in favor of rational analysis of the far more sober-minded, far less radical policies actually put in place by his team.

So, forget what the president says or even much of what he does. Never mind the shadow of the Russia investigation looming over the presidency, or the president’s lavish praise of autocrats and public attacks on longtime U.S. allies. In fact, the view that Trump himself is essentially irrelevant is now advanced privately by some key members of his own team—another extraordinary commentary on an extraordinary presidency.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/201...angerous-216202

Trump taking credit for no commercial airline deaths. He's very tough on Commercial airline.

Um, ok.

"You guys better keep your planes in the air or else!"

Commercial airline deaths in the U.S. by year:

2010: 0

2011: 0

2012: 0.

2013: 0.

2014: 0.

2015: 0.

2016: 0.

2017: 0.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielreed/201...h/#47594dce428a

Some people are probably like, "Yeah, I have noticed there have been no plane crashes!"

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 10:43 AM)
Trump taking credit for no commercial airline deaths. He's very tough on Commercial airline.

Um, ok.

"You guys better keep your planes in the air or else!"

Commercial airline deaths in the U.S. by year:

2010: 0

2011: 0

2012: 0.

2013: 0.

2014: 0.

2015: 0.

2016: 0.

2017: 0.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielreed/201...h/#47594dce428a

Some people are probably like, "Yeah, I have noticed there have been no plane crashes!"

But what about 2009?

Conspiracy! Obama was Pres, Hillary SecState....you’re covering up the events of that year. PizzaGate! Fake news!

Oh FFS

North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un just stated that the “Nuclear Button is on his desk at all times.” Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/...7022420992?s=17

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 07:09 PM)
Oh FFS

North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un just stated that the “Nuclear Button is on his desk at all times.” Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/...7022420992?s=17

How does anyone justify this...

Guys, Kim Jong Un is a menace. Trump may be a moron but there should be world wide outrage over Jong Un and there isn't. I back Trump on this one while suggesting the end of the world is closer than many think. We may have nuclear war sooner rather than later because of Jong Un. Isn't it oddly weird that a friend of Dennis Rodman will be the one to send some nukes and start the horrific turn of events.

I mean Trump sucks and all that but he has to stand up to the turkey in North Korea. They are building nukes for a reason and that reason is to blow us off the map.

”I think it would certainly be developing deeper and better relationships with members of Congress in which those relationships have helped push forward the president’s agenda ― specifically when it comes to helping get the tax reform and tax cuts passed,” Sanders said, adding, “He has played golf with a number of senators and used that time certainly to accomplish that.”

White House Argues Secret Rounds Of Golf Make Donald Trump A Better President

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-says...-212449888.html

Edited by caulfield12