2017 NFL off season thread

If that's the real contract, I have a hard time believing that Pace will turn this around. I could squint and see a temporary competitive push with Tyrod Taylor while a young QB grooms.

I cannot squint and see Mike Earthworm Jim Glennon doing anything but be miserable.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)
I can't wait to see Hoyer and Glennon deals side by side.

Why, they aren't relevant to each other. Hoyer is going to SF to backup cousins, if Glennon comes to the Bears he will start.

The money doesn't matter, the bears are gonna overpay but that is ok, they aren't cash strapped up against the cap. The only thing that matters is he guarantee

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
Havent the Titans been the favorite for a while though?

I hope he comes back it just seems like he doesnt want to be given all things equal. Maybe this will end up how the Lance Briggs contract situation went.

Not for what it looks like he's going to get paid. Market came back close to what Bears were offering. They had productive talks the other day and Rapoport and Stacey Dales both said he's testing market and then coming back to Bears

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
Not for what it looks like he's going to get paid. Market came back close to what Bears were offering. They had productive talks the other day and Rapoport and Stacey Dales both said he's testing market and then coming back to Bears

That is very encouraging

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
Why, they aren't relevant to each other. Hoyer is going to SF to backup cousins, if Glennon comes to the Bears he will start.

The money doesn't matter, the bears are gonna overpay but that is ok, they aren't cash strapped up against the cap. The only thing that matters is he guarantee

Cousins to SF no sure thing, so If Hoyer starts it is comparable.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
Alshon Jeffrey? Oh, never mind

It is why I thought/think we are nuts to let Alshon walk. I guess we'll see what happens...I heard someone on NFL network talking yesterday and they had the Bears as the frontrunners for retaining Alshon. That said, if the Niners are giving as much as I heard to Garcon, I am less convinced Alshon is a Bear.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
I actually think Jeffery is coming back. Niners signed Garcon and Marquise Goodwin. Philly is signing Kenny Britt. Leaves the Bears and Titans for Jeffery

Reports I heard last yesterday on NFL network were that they thought the Bears were front-runners.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Extremely short sided view of how to go about a draft IMO. If you think a QB is going to be good it definitely worth the 3rd pick. I am not saying take one just to take one but if you think he is good you do. If one of these guys wind up being good it will be one of the worst blunders on Pace's resume and hold the team back even further when they could have had their guy. Especially if its a guy that they actually liked but thought "oh well we cant take him because he isnt worth a number 3, he is really like a number 15-20 pick...oh and it will create a controversy within the fanbase"

Sure it is. But you have a coach and GM trying to keep their jobs because of the past year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
http://wgnradio.com/2017/03/08/hoge-scouti...k-mike-glennon/

I hope you guys are prepared for when I suddenly start hyping up Glennon because I buy into everything.

My view is, we need to keep investing in QB until we hit. If we think there is even a shot Glennon could be above average, we are in a position where we need to take that shot (just ensure if we miss, we aren't paying for it 3 years from now).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
Where is zenyran with a scouting report when you need him? I vaguely remember him clowning Glennon when I thought his numbers looked OK.

Let me say for the record, if the Bucs could've kept Glennon I would've been happy. I have zero issues about him being a backup for the Bucs and bringing him out of the bullpen for a game or two if Winston got injured. Winston has been hit a bunch the first two years so an injury is bound to happen.

He was nicknamed Captain Checkdown for a reason around Tampa. In today's NFL, if you want to be a good team you need to have a QB that can carry his team on his shoulders a few times a year. Go out and throw 400 yards to win a game and Glennon isnt that. In 2013(13 starts), he threw 19/9 which is a nice ratio but he ranked 37th out of 37 QBs in yards per attempt(6.2) Captain Checkdown. 35th out of 37 in yards per completion(Matt Ryan was 37th that year fwiw). He averaged 200 yards per game that season. That is pretty pedestrian in the new era of the pass happy NFL and every game he played in that season he started. So its not like the average is low because a couple games he threw a few meaningless passes and got 60 yards total. He passed for over 250 yards only 3 times that season and less than 200 yards 7 times.

2014 he started 5 games and saw slight improvements. His YPA was 7.0 which would've put him tied for 22nd if he had enough playing time to qualify for that stat. He moved up to 236 YPG which would've put him just under Hoyer on the stat board. 10/6 TD ratio. His only two 300+ yard games came that year, a last second win at Pitt where he hit Vincent Jackson for a TD and a loss to the Ravens where Baltimore lead 38-0 at halftime. In the Ravens game Glennon was airing it out bc of the score.

2015 he didnt attempt a pass. i dont recall him even taking a snap.

2016 10-11 passing, all in the 4th quarter against the Falcons in a blowout loss.

So after the 2013 season, after some fans were happy that Glennon took over for Josh Freeman, what do the Bucs do? They fire the coach who drafted him(Schiano) and and hire Lovie who replaces Glennon with McCown. Which for as bad as that hiring and signing was it did lead to the Bucs drafting Winston, who was named the starter over Glennon who had 18 starts from pretty much day 1. TB was always looking in the market for a starting QB even after seeing Glennon play an extended amount of time.

So the Bears are spending $15M a season and will without a doubt have the 4th best QB in their division and the ceiling will be 3rd best in the division as long nothing changes in GB and Detroit. What sense does that make? I get that QBs make a lot of money but is he really double the worth of Hoyer? Maybe all Glennon needs is a chance as a starter but is anyone really thinking he is face of the franchise material?

He did have the 10th highest completion % on passes over 20 yards his rookie year. Among the guys in the top 10, he had the best TD/INT ratio(7/1). So he might be Captain Checkdown, but he is certainly capable of throwing the ball down the field. I'm sure having some guy named Tiquan Underwood and Tim Wright as your #2WR and TE doesn't help things out(Just talking about his rookie year).

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 11:15 PM)
So the Bears are spending $15M a season and will without a doubt have the 4th best QB in their division and the ceiling will be 3rd best in the division as long nothing changes in GB and Detroit. What sense does that make? I get that QBs make a lot of money but is he really double the worth of Hoyer? Maybe all Glennon needs is a chance as a starter but is anyone really thinking he is face of the franchise material?

I guess the simple question in reply is...what FA move does this signing prevent the Bears from making that would have made this team substantially better long term? They've got what, $60 million in cap space before this?

They needed someone to be a warm body there, this is low money for a starting QB, the cap has gone up by 50% over the last few seasons so this is comparable to what a $10 million QB would have gotten in 2012-2013, if you want to develop WR and RB and O-line you still need someone to throw passes to them, and if none of this year's QBs are ready to step in right away this at least does buy them time to draft and develop.

If you can point to me and say "they absolutely should have signed player X, Y, and Z because it will make them better in 2 years if they can put their signing bonus on the books right now and this QB is in the way", then ok you've got a strong case, but that doesn't strike me as very common in NFL free agency, especially considering how often guys get hurt.

I think it's time for us to finally bid adieu to Jay Cutler appropriately.

I stood by Jay forever, but no one anywhere will argue that he was a collosal disappointment. I still remember the day the Bears traded for him. It was huge news. I ran down my office. I was so young, so foolish, so naive. It's still the Bears.

@RapSheet 6m6 minutes ago

The #Patriots deal for free agent CB Stephon Gilmore will happen, source said. Huge signing.

@RapSheet 36m36 minutes ago

The #Packers are bringing back pass-rusher Nick Perry, source said. Locking up a key priority.

What pisses me off about Pace right now is that he has been spewing all this nonsense about having restraint in FA and making all these financially conscious decisions but he seems to be missing out on everyone except for the one guy nobody else wanted and he is over bidding on him. WTF

Jeff Dickerson #Bears did make strong offer to top CB A.J. Bouye. Not sure they land him, but interest is very real.

Sounds like Bears won't get him though... Barring an unexpected change, sources say A.J. Bouye expected to leave Texans for huge free agent deal. Expected to remain in AFC South.

Edited by EvilJester99