Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)
Reyes (injury gamble), Kelly, Perez and Weaver wouldn't be something to just dismiss.

St. Louis is not trading it's top 4 prospects, even though it would take close to that package to be realistic for the White Sox

Right now I do not see STL and the Sox as a good trade match for Quintana

Yankees, Dodgers, Braves, Pirates and Astros are all better matches

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
I can't come up with a trade package coming from St Louis that makes much sense for the White Sox, or that could not be beaten by other clubs

I don't know. If the Sox are comfortable with Reyes' medicals, a package of Reyes, Kelly, Perez and Sierra could work. The Cardinals might be willing to move Reyes because he won't help them this year, and then you add the top catching prospect in baseball, a top 100 prospect who plays SS (Perez), and a toolsy 4th prospect.

Yeah, the Yankees could beat that, but it looks pretty similar to the packages we're throwing around from the Astros.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
I don't know. If the Sox are comfortable with Reyes' medicals, a package of Reyes, Kelly, Perez and Sierra could work. The Cardinals might be willing to move Reyes because he won't help them this year, and then you add the top catching prospect in baseball, a top 100 prospect who plays SS (Perez), and a toolsy 4th prospect.

Yeah, the Yankees could beat that, but it looks pretty similar to the packages we're throwing around from the Astros.

Eh. The best use of the Cardinals would be to drive up the price from other teams.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
St. Louis is not trading it's top 4 prospects, even though it would take close to that package to be realistic for the White Sox

Of course the other five are better fits, but saying no deal with the Cards is viable isn't true.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
Of course the other five are better fits, but saying no deal with the Cards is viable isn't true.

For the Cardinals to pull a deal off they are realistically looking at having to trade 3 of their top 5 prospects, plus another top 15 organizational prospect at a minimum due to a lack of high end prospects

I really do not see that happening

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)

The problem is all of the better matches don't want to play ball. Sure they could swoop in at the last minute to win a deal, but at this point, the best match is the team that offers the most, not the team who has the most to offer.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
https://wahoosonfirst.com/2017/03/29/clevel...-jose-quintana/

Wow^^^

This article made me laugh pretty hard for obvious reasons

his offers suck but the concept of trading with Cleveland is interesting. Zimmer, Mejia + would be very nice.

This is why if Q continues to stay healthy and pitch well, we could get a kings ransom for him at the trade deadline. Imagine the desperation for teams with limited windows.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
The problem is all of the better matches don't want to play ball. Sure they could swoop in at the last minute to win a deal, but at this point, the best match is the team that offers the most, not the team who has the most to offer.

Yep. At this point, it's a game of chicken. I'm sure there are offers out there for Q. And ultimately, from a rebuild standpoint, I think the Sox need to deal Q this season if they are looking for guys that will be ready by 2020 or so.

If the offers aren't there that the Sox want right now, they might be there at the deadline. Maybe the Rockies are in contention, maybe the Yankees convince themselves to push chips in. But like SSK said, this ultimately comes down to the who offers the most, not the team who has the most to offer.

Ken Rosenthal's AL CY Young prediction:

AL Cy Young: Jose Quintana, White Sox/Astros

How convenient! Quintana will be traded within the AL, keeping his candidacy viable. Seriously, I can’t talk myself into any of the other obvious contenders.

The Indians’ Corey Kluber, Tigers’ Justin Verlander and Red Sox’s Rick Porcello will find it difficult to repeat their excellent 2016s. Chris Sale will pay what Bill James calls the “transition tax,” the price that players pay as they adjust to their first year in Boston. The Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez is coming off a big innings jump. The Rangers’ Yu Darvish has pitched only 244 1/3 innings the past three seasons.

Give me Quintana, poor run support in Chicago and all.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
For the Cardinals to pull a deal off they are realistically looking at having to trade 3 of their top 5 prospects, plus another top 15 organizational prospect at a minimum due to a lack of high end prospects

I really do not see that happening

Probably not; but position-wise it could work out. One of their top guys is a C, and they are signing Molina for several more years. Another I think is a CF, and they have Fowler.

Q would look good there.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
They still have Gonzalez at 1B through 2018.

The window for the current incarnation of the Dodgers could be very small. Kershaw can opt out after next season and three other guys in their rotation are free agents, with Urias the only in house replacement near ready to help out. Gonzalez will be gone, Forsythe will be gone, and Grandal will be a FA. They also have $57M committed to Jansen, Hill, and Turner. I know money has not been an issue for them, but with rumblings last season about the amount of Dodger debt, odds are their free spending ways are going to slow down.

Trading for Q will at least bring some stability to their rotation long term, in addition it gives them one less hole to fill after the 2018 season and allows them to compete this year with the makeshift rotation they have in place.

Iowa SF, you nailed it. The issue we learned a few months ago w/ LA was their debt issue. Also agree, Q would be a great fit and get a cost controlled SP, but they would need to bite the bullet and include (at least) either Urias or Bellinger. From what I've read because of their debt, they are attempting to do what the Yanks are attempting to do, focus more on their prospects. http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-s...1126-story.html I know we hear it constantly in negotiations, "We will not trade Prospect A". Some times the team does trade Prospect A but from what I've read, the Dodgers are truly vested in not trading their top prospects. This means 1] Urias, if Kershaw leaves, they need a controllable LHP and 2] Bellinger, if Gonzo leaves, he'd play 1st. I'd think Bellinger would have a better chance of being traded than Urias. So if LA isn't going to include either (don't think they will), their headliner for Q would be Verdugo. Him plus any combo of their other prospects I don't think would be enough for the Dodgers to qualify. I'm hoping for the Astros rotation to falter early.