Predict the 2017 Opening Day Roster

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
Yeah, I guess that's true. That injury probably willl keep him away until June, and he's going to have to play his way to Chicago anyway, so they could 60-day DL him. We'll know soon.

Are you able to retroactively go to the last game played or does it start with opening day? If retro and can count rehab seems no brainer.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
I understand why we are giving Davidson a chance but I don't see it ending well. Hope it does! but 57ab and 25k is not looking promising.

Odds are it won't, but there's nothing to lose at this point IMO. The other options for his role, primarily Delmonico, could use a bit more seasoning in AAA.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
we're close now! I'm oddly excited to see how bad this team is while rooting quite hard for Jose, Q, prospects, etc.

It is in the White Sox best interest to not be horrifically bad. We need good first couple months from the guys we can move - Quintana, Frazier, Abreu, Jones, Robertson, Melky, Jennings Gonzalez, Holland, and Shields. We want the younger fringe guys to not be terrible and look the part of a potential part of the White Sox future - Saladino, May, Narvaez, and to a lesser extent guys like Davidson, Sanchez, Tilson, amd Ynoa. Then you have our obvious building blocks in Rodon and Anderson, soon to be joined by Moncada, Giolito, and Lopez that we want to look good.

I just named off a good portion of the active roster. The White Sox are not going to be very good to start out the year, but hopefully decent enough that we can move the guys worth a damn. They're going to be worse once guys Q, Frazier and Melky are subtracted and more kids are added. But the Sox being horrible would mean that most likely, our young players did not show well, or worse, guys like Quintana, Frazier, Melky, Abreu, Jones and Robertson regressed, which is far from the best thing for this rebuild.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 02:02 PM)
His wife posted it. He was told Saturday.

Hopefully he does a lot of DHing because I want Sanchez and Salidino playing most days in the field to see if we have anything there. Davidson's defense, from what I saw in spring is not improved and I just don't see much upside to him, at all. Sanchez and Saladino could still prove to be decent starters. I see Davidson as Japan league talent or AAAA.

I think taking Davidson was a mistake, but time will tell. I'll be happy to admit I am wrong if he starts raking againsy RH pitchers and cuts down on his strike-outs.

Meanwhile, we could have used Delmonico's LH bat at DH.

Asche in RF and Demonico at DH (and eventually Moncada at 2nd Base) would add to other LH hitters in the line-up, (Melky, May, Narvaez) - six guys who can hit LH and at least a few of them with power.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
I think taking Davidson was a mistake, but time will tell. I'll be happy to admit I am wrong if he starts raking againsy RH pitchers and cuts down on his strike-outs.

Meanwhile, we could have used Delmonico's LH bat at DH.

Asche in RF and Demonico at DH (and eventually Moncada at 2nd Base) would add to other LH hitters in the line-up, (Melky, May, Narvaez) - six guys who can hit LH and at least a few of them with power.

How is it a mistake? If he sucks, they DFA him and bring up Delmonico, or whoever else deserves.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 06:11 PM)
In case you're wondering, rosters have to be set with MLB by Sunday at 11am. Rays-Yankees play an hour later.

Rays vs. Yankees for the opening game of the entire major league season at noon on Sunday?

Talk about getting America talking about baseball with a BANG!

Who's idea was that?

Bowie Kuhn?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 04:52 PM)
How is it a mistake? If he sucks, they DFA him and bring up Delmonico, or whoever else deserves.

I agree that it isn't a big deal but IMO, it is probably a waste of time and money. What bothers me is that they need a LH bat to DH and Davidson takes up that last roster spot.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 08:17 AM)
I agree that it isn't a big deal but IMO, it is probably a waste of time and money. What bothers me is that they need a LH bat to DH and Davidson takes up that last roster spot.

For a team like this, LH/RH is almost meaningless.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
It is in the White Sox best interest to not be horrifically bad. We need good first couple months from the guys we can move - Quintana, Frazier, Abreu, Jones, Robertson, Melky, Jennings Gonzalez, Holland, and Shields. We want the younger fringe guys to not be terrible and look the part of a potential part of the White Sox future - Saladino, May, Narvaez, and to a lesser extent guys like Davidson, Sanchez, Tilson, amd Ynoa. Then you have our obvious building blocks in Rodon and Anderson, soon to be joined by Moncada, Giolito, and Lopez that we want to look good.

I wonder if all these guys playing well would lead to Kenny changing to a buyer. That CANNOT happen. Full rebuild.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 08:17 AM)

Asche will platoon with Davidson. Both will likely be gone by June, but ya never know. It is certainly not a waste of money? It would, however, be a waste of potential resources to let Davidson walk for free, when you may as well give him a couple months worth of at bats and see what you have. Time? The Sox have all the time in the world.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)
I wonder if all these guys playing well would lead to Kenny changing to a buyer. That CANNOT happen. Full rebuild.

Doubt it. It would mean we could potentially trade them for something better than organizational filler in June and July.

The Sox also play the god awful Twins 6 of the first 12 games. Would be surprised to see them put up a decent record over the first few weeks.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 06:52 PM)

Or they claim someone from another organization and then DFA Davidson. If Sox are in rebuild mode I would guess they would be aggressive on the waiver wire.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 07:21 AM)
Agreed. But just as I mentioned above, Asche is basically a lock for the team.

Yes, but against a RH starter, I would have Asche in RF and a LH DH, like Delmonico (instead of Davidson)