Fantastic Starts and Where to Not Find Them

ron883

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 22, 2017 -> 09:35 PM)
I think it's more that Ron seems to get a boner whenever Abreu struggles, as if he'd prefer to be "right" rather than have Abreu do well.

Ron does take it to another level, but I have noticed in other cases where people get so defensive about Abreu as if he is some all time Sox legend. I think he just quickly became a major fan favorite I guess.

QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 22, 2017 -> 10:34 PM)
I think why we get frustrated with Abreu is that we have such high hopes for him.

We envisioned him only getting better as the years went on and turning into a star.

I dunno... I mean he will turn it around and produce like usual right? But zero homeruns and its april 22nd?

That's the thing with Jose. We thought we had a franchise player and instead he is just a very solid DH.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 23, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
Ron does take it to another level, but I have noticed in other cases where people get so defensive about Abreu as if he is some all time Sox legend. I think he just quickly became a major fan favorite I guess.

We also can't forget the MBINAA, and Wood>Buehrle days.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
In that case, it makes my point even more surprising, if he is getting more protection from the fanbase than MB or PK ever got.

I've really only seen the protection of him happen in the two Ron threads though. I've seen Abreu get routinely trashed in gamethreads and he rarely gets the same defensive treatment there.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)
I've really only seen the protection of him happen in the two Ron threads though. I've seen Abreu get routinely trashed in gamethreads and he rarely gets the same defensive treatment there.

Well people would trash their own mothers in game threads so thats not the best example. :lol:

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
You got beat last year when you created this thread.

You tried it again....ON THE SAME DATE this year....and got beat again.

Give it up.

I got beat? I don't think so. I was right. Pitchers have adjusted to him, as can be seen by the .140 drop in his OPS from his rookie campaign to last year. Its so clear I was right in this but people here seen to be in love with the butcher over at 1st base posting an .800 OPS.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 22, 2017 -> 05:35 PM)
That is some Quinarvy type ownage there. Nice work.

Ownage? If by ownage, you mean him confirming the ownage done by me against all the doubters. I made that thread last year early in the season, and Jose went on to post a pedestrian .820 OPS. This just confirms my prediction

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 07:29 PM)
Ownage? If by ownage, you mean him confirming the ownage done by me against all the doubters. I made that thread last year early in the season, and Jose went on to post a pedestrian .820 OPS. This just confirms my prediction

Yea but dude it's pretty common knowledge that he's not the superman of his rookie first half. Pitchers can get him out but he's still dangerous in any given atbat. His bat isn't hurting the team by any means.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 07:29 PM)

In what world is a .820 OPS pedestrian?

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
I got beat? I don't think so. I was right. Pitchers have adjusted to him, as can be seen by the .140 drop in his OPS from his rookie campaign to last year. Its so clear I was right in this but people here seen to be in love with the butcher over at 1st base posting an .800 OPS.

At this point I honestly can't tell if you're intentionally trolling or not.

I love how people bump these threads when Jose goes on a hot streak. His hot streaks are followed by the inevitable awful cold streaks Jose goes on. When Jose goes cold, he goes COLD. The dude just isnt that great of a player.

Well, nobody said he's a GREAT player.

The first half of the 2014, sure, he looked like he had that ability. The league adjusted, mostly by busting him inside on the hands, keeping him off balance and getting to swing at offspeed stuff off the plate. He's gone from superstar rookie to "earning" his contract (barely) status, to where you'd be very hard pressed to get one Top 75-125 prospect for him in trade.

We should be used to it as Sox fans this decade. First, Carlos Quentin in 2008, almost becoming MVP until breaking his hamate in anger late in the season. Gordon Beckham, 2009....Dayan Viciedo, 2012, now Tim Anderson is starting off really slow in his sophomore campaign.

It would be MORE shocking if someone had sustained, All-Star level success for a 5+ year period. Moncada's the best shot at that actually happening. Maybe Collins would be second, if he sticks at catcher, but then he's still got the likes of Salvy Perez and Gary Sanchez to overcome.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 4, 2017 -> 12:45 AM)
I love how people bump these threads when Jose goes on a hot streak. His hot streaks are followed by the inevitable awful cold streaks Jose goes on. When Jose goes cold, he goes COLD. The dude just isnt that great of a player.

You mean the way that you create them when he goes cold?