Luis Robert signing official

southsider2k5

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ May 22, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
White Sox confirmed it's Robert as in Robert Kennedy but, Badler today said the announcers mostly said it as Robert too, it just got confused when people assumed it was Robert due to it being of norman origin/latin/french pronunciation likely in Cuba.

Ok, so next question. Pronounced "Lou-ees" or "Lou-ee"?

QUOTE (bmags @ May 22, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
White Sox confirmed it's Robert as in Robert Kennedy but, Badler today said the announcers mostly said it as Robert too, it just got confused when people assumed it was Robert due to it being of norman origin/latin/french pronunciation likely in Cuba.

Thank you sir. Robert it is.

Roberto is pronounced Ro bear to. When you eliminate the last letter, it becomes Ro bear. In Spanish, "E" is always pronounced like the English long "A", as in "late".

Therefore, it would never be pronounced like our "Robert". Spanish is not my native language, but I've lived in Costa Rica for 27 years, and that is my best understanding. If someone has perfect Spanish, please correct me if I'm wrong.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 22, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
Roberto is pronounced Ro bear to. When you eliminate the last letter, it becomes Ro bear. In Spanish, "E" is always pronounced like the English long "A", as in "late".

Therefore, it would never be pronounced like our "Robert". Spanish is not my native language, but I've lived in Costa Rica for 27 years, and that is my best understanding. If someone has perfect Spanish, please correct me if I'm wrong.

In this case, it's just Robert, as in the English name.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ May 22, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
Right, talk about confusing. The only way to pronounce his name right is to say half of it in Spanish and half in English.

No different than Alexei Rameirez. Half Russian, half Spanish. Got to love baseball.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 22, 2017 -> 03:02 PM)
As someone with an ethnic last name and an english first name, I no longer care. I don't care if he calls himself Poopdick McFartington if he can hit.

Same. I have ethnic first and last name and am of half Mexican descent so I'll probably be pronouncing it the Spanish way, but say it in English to my sox buddies.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 22, 2017 -> 03:02 PM)
As someone with an ethnic last name and an english first name, I no longer care. I don't care if he calls himself Poopdick McFartington if he can hit.

Where can I obtain a McFartington jersey?

FWIW Law was just on ESPN and said he hasn't seen him in person but the scouts he's talked to that has have given him mixed reviews. He said every scout said he can run and the power is there but no one is sure he's going to be able to hit. He said is he were in this year's draft he'd be picked in the teens.

Edited by Sockin

QUOTE (Sockin @ May 22, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
FWIW Law was just on ESPN and said he hasn't seen him in person but the scouts he's talked to that has have given him mixed reviews. He said every scout said he can run and the power is there but no one is sure he's going to be able to hit. He said is he were in this year's draft he'd be picked in the teens.

Law is a clown. He's like Colin Cowherd in that he just takes contrarian stances on things because it generates discussion. If Frank Thomas were a prospect today, Law would be first in line to question his ability to hit for average and tell us that his power might not ever develop.

QUOTE (Sockin @ May 22, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)

Anywhere between top teen 2017 draft pick to immediate top 25 - 30 prospect in baseball to best non-MLB player on the planet. We've also read that he may have some issues with laying off the high heat and breaking stuff.

Sounds like most young guys to me. I'll take what Law said as cautiously as what Callis said.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ May 22, 2017 -> 04:46 PM)
Can we just make the consensus to call him Robert or Ro-beart instead of Ro-bear until the White Sox confirm the name? Or are we going to be like that dumbass stoner Danny Parkins and say Ro-bear (like Voltaire)?

White Sox confirmed Robert (T pronounced), and also you are on a message board son we can't hear you pronounce it :)

QUOTE (Sockin @ May 22, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)

You should see some of the young bats Law and company passed on when he was with Toronto to take guys like dDavid Purcey and Ricky Romero. Tulo, Ellbury, Adam Jones...the list goes on and on. For a guy so many take as top opinion, he sure comes up empty a lot. 19 year olds who have never played in the US are going to be hard to project. 17 or 18 year old HS hitters...the same. A lot of people didn't even bother with Mike Trout. Theo Epstein, who didn't pass on him, admitted he would have passed had Trout been on the board when he picked. There were questions about Manny Machado. There were questions about Jose Abreu. If the kid comes in, works hard, he has all the talent to be a star. Remember those old leaked scouting reports about Frank Thomas? Said he wouldn't hit .250.

There are going to be scouts that love guys, and scouts that question the same guy, and the guy they love, the other scout might not like. There are very few guys all of them are sold on. KW and the Sox people watched him. And liked him enough JR is going to spend $50 million on him. They are obviously sold.