Luis Robert signing official

southsider2k5

Wouldn't be shocked if they did sign another Cuban to pair him with in Kanny.

Then he comes up together with Adolfo, Hansen, Basabe....should be ready at some point in mid to late 2019, but that might be conservative. Just behind Dunning and Collins.

That's assuming he plays at least half the minor league season and potentially AFL this year. Might have to wait for 2018 AFL, we'll see.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewtopic...20&start=80

Read pages 6-9 to get a chuckle out of Cardinals' fans being angry the White Sox beat them with a lower bid.

That city has an inferiority complex despite Cardinal Nation and years of NL Championship baseball.

From scout.com/The Cardinal Nation

The Cardinals have a billion dollar TV contract coming in. Saying the team could better use the money elsewhere is just asinine. You add a 19-year old with superstar talent and lose nothing but some money in a league with no salary cap or restrictions. If you can buy talent, go buy talent. You want to know how the Yankees compiled 27 championships, they bought talent. From Ruth to DiMaggio to Mickey Mantle to Mariano Rivera and Bernie Williams. Teams who win scout, develop and sign talent. That is why the league has continued to play with the draft and international rules to attempt to balance competition.

Two points:

Teams will be tiered based on market size. The top tier has $5.75 million bonus pool. Teams can trade for up to 75% more of their allotted bonus pool.

Given the failure rates of even Cuban prospects, it probably would have made more sense to outbid the Padres and Braves for some of their prospects in the most recent signing period. The Cardinals spent approximately $22 million (with taxes) on their entire international class. Robert alone was more than everyone they acquired. Meanwhile, the Braves spent approximately $40 million and the Padres spent approximately $80 million. The Cardinals would have been better off going after some of those top talents earlier in the process before they finalized agreements with those teams (Kevin Maitan's deal with the Braves was reported a full year before the current signing period started, the Cardinals tried unsuccessfully to outbid Atlanta once they decided to go over, which was evidently after Maitan's deal had already been reached).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewtopic...20&start=80

Read pages 6-9 to get a chuckle out of Cardinals' fans being angry the White Sox beat them with a lower bid.

That city has an inferiority complex despite Cardinal Nation and years of NL Championship baseball.

From scout.com/The Cardinal Nation

The Cardinals have a billion dollar TV contract coming in. Saying the team could better use the money elsewhere is just asinine. You add a 19-year old with superstar talent and lose nothing but some money in a league with no salary cap or restrictions. If you can buy talent, go buy talent. You want to know how the Yankees compiled 27 championships, they bought talent. From Ruth to DiMaggio to Mickey Mantle to Mariano Rivera and Bernie Williams. Teams who win scout, develop and sign talent. That is why the league has continued to play with the draft and international rules to attempt to balance competition.

Two points:

Teams will be tiered based on market size. The top tier has $5.75 million bonus pool. Teams can trade for up to 75% more of their allotted bonus pool.

Given the failure rates of even Cuban prospects, it probably would have made more sense to outbid the Padres and Braves for some of their prospects in the most recent signing period. The Cardinals spent approximately $22 million (with taxes) on their entire international class. Robert alone was more than everyone they acquired. Meanwhile, the Braves spent approximately $40 million and the Padres spent approximately $80 million. The Cardinals would have been better off going after some of those top talents earlier in the process before they finalized agreements with those teams (Kevin Maitan's deal with the Braves was reported a full year before the current signing period started, the Cardinals tried unsuccessfully to outbid Atlanta once they decided to go over, which was evidently after Maitan's deal had already been reached).

It reads amazingly like Soxtalk.

For some people, it's prospects; for me, it's the big free agents... but there is no denying this team cheapens out. It really seems like ownership is finding its sweet spot of 85-87 wins and hoping to make the playoffs because that's where they maximize profits.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 20, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
Yep, that's the one! Rust is also my favorite. For me it's 1) Rust 2) So far So good... 3) Peace Sells 4) Countdown. Can ya tell I'm a huge Mustaine fan? :lol:

I'm laughing at myself. Day one of signing eligibility and I'm finding myself asking what's taking so long. I need to put this tablet down and go do something.

Countdown was the first cd I got of theirs after my guitar teacher at the time told me to listen to them. Sam Goodie was going out of business and picked up the rest of the catalog when I was in I think 11th grade. Awesome awesome stuff, caught them live on Gigantour one year was insane.

Badler/BA. This will gnaw at Fathom, but all the scouts rave about his hand speed so it seems correctable, compared to guys like Beckham and Viciedo who struggled with this.

While Robert has consistently performed at a high level, one of his biggest risk factors is his tendency to swing-and-miss. Robert isn’t a free-swinger, though at international tournaments and in Cuba, he has shown a vulnerability toward chasing fastballs above the strike zone, swinging through even below-average velocity. He’s also expanded the strike zone against breaking balls off the plate, though at other times he’s been able to lay off those pitches. He’s at his best when he stays through the ball and uses right-center field, though he’s often pull-oriented and tries to hook too many pitches on the outer third rather than driving them the opposite way.

Robert moves well for his size and came up through the Cuban junior leagues as a center fielder, though when he got to Ciego de Avila’s top team in Serie Nacional, he mostly played left field. When Robert was in Cuba, he clocked at 4.2 to 4.25 seconds from home to first at his best, which indicates 55 to 60 speed on the 20-80 scale. Since arriving in the Dominican Republic, multiple scouts said he has run the 60-yard dash in times that indicate he may have significantly increased his speed. He should develop in the minor leagues as a center fielder with a chance to stay there, though he has the power and offensive upside to move to a corner if necessary.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...PYQL4SbtFLEM.99

Edited by caulfield12

This kid better start in Kanny and maybe stay there alittle longer than the Red Sox did with Moncada in low A who had the higher hit tool coming out. No need to rush him to high A.

All we need is Beer and Hahn's kid will get his OTTP wish. :) I wonder who he picked for the '17 draft.. (Haseley?)

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ May 20, 2017 -> 05:21 PM)
Countdown was the first cd I got of theirs after my guitar teacher at the time told me to listen to them. Sam Goodie was going out of business and picked up the rest of the catalog when I was in I think 11th grade. Awesome awesome stuff, caught them live on Gigantour one year was insane.

Sam Goodie! Yes, that takes me back. Saw Megadeath in 00' with the Crue at the world theatre. Mustaine opened the set with Dawn Patrol and I went nuts. Bad ass way to start a show. You know, we should take this to the music thread before we get a talking to, lol.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...ion-luis-robert

Can anyone get that video?

One of the coolest parts of this entire story is how the White Sox and their fans treated Minnie Minoso all those years...led to Abreu and now to Robert. Not the financial investment in guys like Skowron, Pierce and Minoso, but the emotional one. It's one thing you can never fault Reinsdorf for as an owner, that sense of loyalty that also has played out with his coaching staff through the years which is littered with predominantly ex-Sox connections.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 20, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
Except this already demands our 2017 class be garbage. We have a self imposed penalty box already.

Our International Scouting director, Marco Paddy, is a big believer that, while signing your share of big time international prospects needs to be part of the mix, a lot of good players will come out of the lower priced 15 and 16 year old players that you sign. (I copied a quote below from an interview he did related to that topic.) I am guessing that Marco is a big fan of Roberts; but if he lost out on him, he could still get a quantity of quality players in the next two years that he is not going to get while in the penalty box. In short, for Marco, plan B would not offer the short-term excitement of plan A, but it would not be a complete lost cause either given his general philosophy. Fortunately, we ended up with our Plan A blow the budget player in a specific situation where Marco was sold on such a player.

From Brian Bilek Future Sox Interview

"I don’t want to say quantity only; I would say quantity of quality players. There are some players that are more advanced than others and you can put all your eggs in that basket but at the end of the day, scouting is no perfect science. Whether it’s in the draft or internationally, you really don’t want to put all your efforts into one player unless you have the ability to blow a budget and spend 25 million dollars.

We don’t think that’s the best way to go. There are very few players in that upper tier but there are quite a few players in that second tier who can be developed into what you’re looking for. I mean, when you’re talking about 15 and 16 year old kids, it’s so hard to determine exactly how their career is going to evolve. I think it makes perfect sense for us to operate the way we do. You can spend a million dollars on a horse but if he doesn’t win that race you only have the one horse."

Edited by ventura_abreu

QUOTE (ventura_abreu @ May 20, 2017 -> 05:59 PM)
Our International Scouting director, Marco Paddy, is a big believer that, while signing your share of big time international prospects needs to be part of the mix, a lot of good players will come out of the lower priced 15 and 16 year old players that you sign. (I copied a quote below from an interview he did related to that topic.)

With the hard bonus cap, good players will be available for 300K and the Sox should still be able to get several of those...during the penalty years.

Edited by GreenSox