Luis Robert signing official

southsider2k5

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish Ben Badler hadn't included that quote about him being the best hitter on the planet. Seems like all discussion needs to be disproving that or fighting people that aren't claiming he's best hitter ever.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 23, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
I'd love to bet Keith Law something worthwhile. I take Robert, he's got Tatis Jr. player with the best career WAR wins.

He is getting exactly what he wants, which is lots of clicks. He is turning into the Jay Mariotti of minor league prognostication.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
Romero was really good for awhile, then the wheels just came off.

Fwiw, watch Happ turn out better than a Benintendi...he can run a lot better than advertised, too.

Dude, slow down on the Happ hype. He's no doubt had a fast start to 2017, but he's not a Benintendi prospect at this point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 23, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
I'd love to bet Keith Law something worthwhile. I take Robert, he's got Tatis Jr. player with the best career WAR wins.

I bet him $100 that Tatis Jr never accumulates more than 2 WAR in an MLB season. Bastard didn't respond to my tweet.

Again you need to remember that Law historically has never cared for the White Sox organization in any way, shape or form. He didn't like the major league team, the minor league operations or the organizational philosophy.

He's also admitted that he is a die hard Royals fan who happen to be in the Sox division.

You must take anything he says about the White Sox with a big grain of salt in my opinion, he appears pretty biased against them.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 23, 2017 -> 05:33 PM)
Again you need to remember that Law historically has never cared for the White Sox organization in any way, shape or form.

He didn't/doesn't like KW. I believe he actually likes Hahn quite a bit.

If Happ can capably play CF, his value increases significantly...

Can someone from SoxTalk interview Heyman, Stark, or Peter Bjarkman on the potential of Luis Robert please?

From gatewayredbirds....this sounds like the exact reason the White Sox isecto eschew amateur spending, keep in mind this is the StL Post Dispatch Cards' beat writer, normally the Sox newspaper reporters are a bit "softer" on the front office...a lot of fans are saying that "declining" Fowler contract is nuts compared to buying a potential superstar in his early 20's.

Short answer: yes. Yes, again. Yes, a dozen times. This was the lesson of a past winter, and its reinforced here for a teenager. So, yes. But here's the difference between this weekend and any winter --- Luis Robert was the kind of elite, hype, huge-watt amateur the Cardinals rarely get their chance at. They, by design don't want to --- because they want to contend, they want to be in the playoffs, they want to draft late in the first round. The stars and money aligned for this to be their shot. And they will say they feel better about spending more than $50+ million on an established player than a prospect. Hold them to that.

by Derrick Goold 11:13 AM

ReplyPermalink

What was the sense around the FO after the latest Cuban sensation opted for life on Chicago's South Side ... Know they go in with a strict-disciple number in line ... but has the market gone so batty that Cardinals are going to have to re-calibrate their fiscal thinking for this market in the future?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 23, 2017 -> 05:33 PM)
Again you need to remember that Law historically has never cared for the White Sox organization in any way, shape or form. He didn't like the major league team, the minor league operations or the organizational philosophy.

He's also admitted that he is a die hard Royals fan who happen to be in the Sox division.

You must take anything he says about the White Sox with a big grain of salt in my opinion, he appears pretty biased against them.

Was there a reason he should have cared? Outside of 2005 they have been historically bad, and their minor league system historically has been even worse.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
He is getting exactly what he wants, which is lots of clicks. He is turning into the Jay Mariotti of minor league prognostication.

Nice comp! :notworthy

I just read Keith Law's book actually. He talks about his time with Toronto in there. He was basically their only "data analyst". He wasn't choosing players. He was basically a lesser version of what Dan Fabian is for the White Sox today. He said in there that he wouldn't be qualified for the same position today. Law has said that Luis Robert could become a 3-4 WAR CF and he didn't scoff at an Adam Jones comp if everything goes right. White Sox fans are embarrassing themselves tonight.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 23, 2017 -> 08:16 PM)
I just read Keith Law's book actually. He talks about his time with Toronto in there. He was basically their only "data analyst". He wasn't choosing players. He was basically a lesser version of what Dan Fabian is for the White Sox today. He said in there that he wouldn't be qualified for the same position today. Law has said that Luis Robert could become a 3-4 WAR CF and he didn't scoff at an Adam Jones comp if everything goes right. White Sox fans are embarrassing themselves tonight.

He also said that he hasn't heard anyone use that name as a comp but Jones has a much better arm but Robert has better speed. He agreed that it was good for the the Sox to go ahead and spend the money because this is the last time it can be done. He said again that it is a big risk as all of the scouts he has talked to agree that he may not have the hit tool to be more than average or slightly above average in the MLB. This is where Garfein and I think others have an issue. If every single scout agrees he may be just average, why were some teams willing to spend that kind of money?