If you were comfortably rich, what would you do?

caulfield12

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also have a huge collection of shoes. I'm not really a sneakerhead but if I had the money I would certainly become one.

I can walk into a shoe store and easily pick out 3 or 4 pairs that I like. As it is right now I usually only buy a new pair every 3 or 4 years. But I rotate them so I can keep wearing them for 10+ years without a problem. I make sure I get my money's worth out of them. I've still got a pair of boots that I bought in 1996. They were brown at one time but now they are mostly black and the soles are almost completely worn out. But they are still good for wearing while mowing the lawn or working on the car.

Not including my dress/work shoes, I've probably got 15 pairs of shoes in my closet right now. They range from a cheap pair that I bought at Wal-Mart just to bum around in and get dirty to 3 or 4 pairs of Jordan's that I paid $130+.

There are quite a few pairs of shoes that I used to own that I really miss. I could re-buy them now but I'd probably pay $300 or more for them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
I sort of feel the same way. I love my job, my family is in a great place, and I am hooked up with some great people and organizations that I support. The crazy thing is if I ever got stupid rich, I would buy the company I work for and turn the day to day operations over to the other 4 people I work with, and then live off of the revenue stream from it.

There really isn't anything I want to get away from per se, but I would love to put more resources into things around my hometown that really need it. Though I will admit, a lot more travel and baseball would be in my future.

Not if they are in Illinois. :lol:

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 05:51 PM)
I would travel and invest in properties around the world. Then I would get bored.

I really think my life is more fulfilling the way it is now then if I were to have hit the lottery or something quick and easy. I have the things that I want but I have to work hard for them and they don't come all at once. I live a very satisfying life. Now once I am old and no longer interested in working hard and reaching goals then talk to me about winning the lottery then.

If I suddenly had billions I would definitely give away some of it like Bill Gates does. I also would take a million of it and go to Vegas and play high roller for one weekend at least.

Then I would travel extensively one year. After that I'd settle down and volunteer a lot.

As far as Shipps comments here. I know what you are saying, but I've seen some guys now in their 50s who have never worked a day in their life thanks to their dad and moms having mega millions. Their lives look pretty satisfying to me. They have trumped up fake jobs in their dads' companies. But they don't go to work, they have boats and houses all over and have lived off daddy's money their entire adult lives. Again, they seem pretty lazy and pretty happy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
I am not going to lie. I saw the kids last mailer, and I really want the Death Star and the Saturn V.

You don't have to be a kid. We are called AFOL's. Adult Fans Of LEGO. Me and my son have a LEGO room in our house. We actually need a bigger house now. LEGO makes a giant Slave I and a Ghostbusters Firehouse!

LEGO Themes

Say goodbye to your wallet.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
You don't have to be a kid. We are called AFOL's. Adult Fans Of LEGO. Me and my son have a LEGO room in our house. We actually need a bigger house now. LEGO makes a giant Slave I and a Ghostbusters Firehouse!

LEGO Themes

Say goodbye to your wallet.

Don't get me wrong, I play with the legos with my kids, but oooh weee, those things are expensive!

I would put together a close group of advisors and hold meetings by going around the room demanding they each praise me and express their undying loyalty.

Wait that's what I would do if I was president.

Travel. Class A pulling a Jeep Rubicon. Hire someone to drive it to Maine while I start a walk in Springer Mountain Georgia.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 03:49 PM)
I would put together a close group of advisors and hold meetings by going around the room demanding they each praise me and express their undying loyalty.

Wait that's what I would do if I was president.

Travel. Class A pulling a Jeep Rubicon. Hire someone to drive it to Maine while I start a walk in Springer Mountain Georgia.

I think you must have a mistress in Argentina, too...(see Sanford, Mark)

Go back to school to get a master's degree in secondary education, take courses in journalism and get my data science certificate (I am pursuing this in the fall). Buy a house, car and invest the rest in a startup scene in empty retailers in Downers Grove while I go find work in something that doesn't pay but is something I would love to do. Money can't buy you happiness, but what can happiness buy you?

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
Go back to school to get a master's degree in secondary education, take courses in journalism and get my data science certificate (I am pursuing this in the fall). Buy a house, car and invest the rest in a startup scene in empty retailers in Downers Grovewhile I go find work in something that doesn't pay but is something I would love to do. Money can't buy you happiness, but what can happiness buy you?

So the anti-Amazon/Wal-Mart? How to drive demand/traffic? What niche are you going after...or you're trying to create a new market for certain products? What can you offer, other than subsidized/lower rents?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 06:09 PM)
So the anti-Amazon/Wal-Mart? How to drive demand/traffic? What niche are you going after...or you're trying to create a new market for certain products? What can you offer, other than subsidized/lower rents?

I haven't thought it all the way through, but basically if brick and mortar stores are closing and people aren't flocking to create retail businesses, why not provide incentives to have startups and entrepreneurs take those empty retail locations? It's just a thought, even though Illinois is in the financial state it is in. In other words, make Downers Grove a place for startups like San Francisco and Chicago.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:39 PM)
I haven't thought it all the way through, but basically if brick and mortar stores are closing and people aren't flocking to create retail businesses, why not provide incentives to have startups and entrepreneurs take those empty retail locations? It's just a thought, even though Illinois is in the financial state it is in. In other words, make Downers Grove a place for startups like San Francisco and Chicago.

So basically tech incubator/s, maker's space....whatever you prefer to term it?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 12:55 AM)
So basically tech incubator/s, maker's space....whatever you prefer to term it?

Yes - using empty retail outlets in Downers Grove to be tech incubators, shared workspaces or even just offices for new startups and small businesses.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 09:11 AM)
Yes - using empty retail outlets in Downers Grove to be tech incubators, shared workspaces or even just offices for new startups and small businesses.

I'll take that idea aimed mostly at Millennials and double down.

Counseling centers for those who are unemployed....help with retraining, finding new work opportunities, marketing/branding yourself, maybe an entrepreneurial slant as many 45-50 and up might not be able to get the full-time job they desire.

Also, help with those individuals in terms of money management/credit cards/delinquent loans and guidance dealing with the labyrinthine health care markets in the wake of political turmoil roiling the system.

Can do both...

Upgrade my Bears tickets to row 1, 2 or 3 of the upper deck, right at the 50

Get a great condo in Chicago

Get a 12 game package for the Sox

Travel for 3 weeks to Fiji and stay in one of those overwater bungalows

Buy a sick a** Maserati

Donate $100k off the bat to animal cruelty charities

Send my eventual kids to any school of their choosing

Give each of my brothers $1M

Sell my financial planning practice and work part time as a laundry attendant of a hotel

Edited by soxfan49

A. Retire

B. Buy a second home some place warm, and another condo somewhere in Europe. I'm partial to Paris, but Copenhagen and Amsterdam would be possibilities.

C. Travel more

D. Lead a upper middle class lifestyle

E. Make sure I leave a decent chunk to my niece and nephew.