The hell they calling up Moncada? THE THREAD

Steve9347

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
Hopefully when he shows he is better than AAA competition. He has been very average lately and last i saw his SO rate was over 30%. After his miserable showing in Boston last fall, hopefully our FO waits until he is playing well in AAA. This is his first year at this level and he is having his ups and downs like many young players. This is a wasted year so we certainly don't want to screw up our prized young player.

FWIW Getz was interviewed by The Athletic and said they're not all that concerned with his strikeouts and don't want him to change his mechanics at all.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
Yolmer Sanchez may have made him less necessary for another year or two. What about Saladino and Leury?

That is an interesting post. It normally would come from a fan of rebuilding. They love to keep these guys in the minors lest the cliche "rush them" comes into play. Rushing prospects concerns our rebuild fans even though in the NBA 19 year olds are starting year after year now. It's a "baseball thing" to make sure players stay in the minors 3, 4, 5 seasons before bringing them up.

At the same, Sanchez, Saladino and Leury are all projected once a week players at best, El Rockin.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 09:34 PM)
Tyler Saladino, Leury Garcia, and Yolmer Sanchez have no bearing on Yoan Moncada or when he comes to the big leagues.

They do if they are doing well and Moncada can stay in AAA a bit longer and develp

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)
They do if they are doing well and Moncada can stay in AAA a bit longer and develp

They really don't man. When the Sox think Moncada is ready (after the Super 2 Date) he'll be in Chicago regardless of how the other guys are doing

My guess is that they're going to entertain some offers for guys like Yolmer and Leury on top of the obvious guys, if they move one or both of them its a pretty safe bet he comes up immediately as I don't think there is much else for him to improve on in AAA besides some defensive refining, but if they don't move one of those guys it's better to let them build offseason trade value and keep Moncada's clock from ticking.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 09:57 PM)
The guy is more than ready.

I would not mind keeping Moncada in the minors until next June or so to gain additional control. It's not as if he could not use some more time in the minors before being moved to the majors full time. His defense still needs work and another few months in the minors can't hurt him. We have to remember he only recently turned 22 years old and we have no reason to rush him up and burn service time on a rebuilding club.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
I would not mind keeping Moncada in the minors until next June or so to gain additional control. It's not as if he could not use some more time in the minors before being moved to the majors full time. His defense still needs work and another few months in the minors can't hurt him. We have to remember he only recently turned 22 years old and we have no reason to rush him up and burn service time on a rebuilding club.

While all true, I highly doubt this will happen. This team could look drastically different on August 1st, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Moncada gets two full months with the Sox this year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
While all true, I highly doubt this will happen. This team could look drastically different on August 1st, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Moncada gets two full months with the Sox this year.

My concern is that Moncada is not really a finished product yet. Defense is still fringy and he still strikes out quite a bit.

Waiting until May/June 2018 to call him up might end up being better for his development overall and help us gain another season of control.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)

He will be up as soon as Frazier is dealt. If he isn't, something is really wrong.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 09:30 AM)
My concern is that Moncada is not really a finished product yet. Defense is still fringy and he still strikes out quite a bit.

Waiting until May/June 2018 to call him up might end up being better for his development overall and help us gain another season of control.

That's highly unlikely to occur...at some point, the fans will need to see some results. The best prospect in baseball should be able to handle himself by the end of this year at Charlotte (Sept 1st roster moves). He's not a 19/20 year old. Or even 21. He'll be just fine.