2017-2018 NFL Thread

Now I make no claims to being a football genius. That being said, it seems that everyone is blaming Fox, Loggains, Trubisky, Pace or a few others.

I would submit that the biggest issue is our overrated offensive line. I think they don't do a very good job of opening holes for running game, pass blocking is far from tremendous and most opposing defenders seem to be able to push them wherever they want to.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 07:34 PM)
Now I make no claims to being a football genius. That being said, it seems that everyone is blaming Fox, Loggains, Trubisky, Pace or a few others.

I would submit that the biggest issue is our overrated offensive line. I think they don't do a very good job of opening holes for running game, pass blocking is far from tremendous and most opposing defenders seem to be able to push them wherever they want to.

Yet against the 9-2 Steelers they dominated the offensive line for nearly 5 quarters, everybody knew a run was coming and it didn't matter. What the hell happened? They did seem to be calling Cohen's plays for Howard when he kept running out of bounds. At least the weather was nice

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 07:57 PM)
Missed the second half. Seems pretty bad that they could only manage one offensive touchdown against the niners.

Did Trubisky show anything hopeful in the second half?

He was put in 3rd and long all day and managed to go 12/15. Held the ball too long a few times but the playcalling was yet again atrocious.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 09:13 PM)
He was put in 3rd and long all day and managed to go 12/15. Held the ball too long a few times but the playcalling was yet again atrocious.

What frustrates me is that the 49ers seemed to have no issue completing passes on 3rd down when needed. It's not like Jimmy G had pinpoint accuracy, they just kept running slants and their receivers were always wide open. And their guys aren't any more talented than the Bears.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 06:00 AM)
What frustrates me is that the 49ers seemed to have no issue completing passes on 3rd down when needed. It's not like Jimmy G had pinpoint accuracy, they just kept running slants and their receivers were always wide open. And their guys aren't any more talented than the Bears.

In the immortal words of John Fox, “it was all bad”

Fox called Santos "Carlos Santos" postgame and then couldn't think of O'Donnell's name so he settled on "the punter." He then said he didn't let SF score because he felt good about blocking a FG from the 7 yard line. You just can't make this s*** up. You probably shouldn't cheer/hope for anyone to get fired, but it will be an exciting day when this staff gets the boot, maybe more joyous than when the Emery/Trestman regime came to an end.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
Is Ryan Pace safe? Do we go back to that outside source that makes all of the Bears hirings for more great insight?

I think Pace is safe for now, especially after drafting Mitch. He will be allowed to get a second coach, and that coach will need to produce pretty quickly or Pace will be out.

I think Pace is safe, that whole new facilities thing was spearheaded by him.

But I think everyone should be very skeptical of him. I think he should at least get a new pro scouting director.

He's entered into season each year with one position that was absolutely atrocious and then usually that position gets killed by injuries. The kicking situation is inexcusable.

All in the name of keeping good salary cap, which has now been chipped away at with lower-tier signings that have turned out to be wastes and we eat the money anyway.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
They have been saying he didn’t want to be in Chicago past his rookie deal since 2014. They have had plenty of time to deal him if that is the case, and it certainly seems to be the case. At this point even a 7th rounder would have been better than the Nothing the bears received

Yes, Alshon was horribly mismanaged. So was the Robbie Gould fiasco. I said both all at the time of the deal and couldn't be more right. I was okay if you were going to move away for Gould and invest in the future, but Barth was none of those things and Gould's contract was never going to get in the way of making a signing. The only way dumping Gould made sense was if you went looking for a young kicker or you went out and got a better / as good vet for a similar price.

By the way, even though I defend Fox, etc and don't think he's the reason we stink...I'm not going to be upset if the franchise goes another direction with the head coach. There are enough things I see on the field that I don't like, but I think everyone had blinders on when it came to Trubisky and just young QB's in general. He has a huge off-season ahead of him and I think this will be Pace's defining off-season. You need to show how you build / invest around a young QB, from the coaching staff to personell, etc. Look at the Eagles and what they did. They have put a lot of things around Wentz to put him in the best position to succeed (and that includes an excellent defense and strong rushing attack...plus weapons at the wideout).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
In hindsight, Jimmy G looks like he would have been a better pick than Ego Ferguson.

I still think in my ideal scenario, we would have done what the Niners did. On paper, what an oustanding off-season, from getting a head coach I like, to buying a bunch of picks to getting your QB for a 2nd rounder (Jimmy G). No one could have predicted that would happen but job well done by Lynch (on paper). I still have zero problem with what Pace did (in regards to Trubisky) but I still think the smarter move would have been overpaying for Alshon to ensure you have at least one real pass catcher (and it wasn't like we were tight on cap space). Then again, I legit don't think the Bears expected Trubisky to play this year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
Can you make this up and have it be believable? Bears cut Gould. Sign Barth. Barth is terrible, he is cut, replaced by an injured kicker. Gould comes back to Soldier Field and kicks 5 field goals for the win.

The Bears are cursed. Probably a good thing OB and Hampton are preemted today by NU basketball. I am pretty sure at least one of them would leave the studio in an ambulance.

Was so happy for Gould, who I legit loved in Chicago. Gould delivered...albeit all of the kicks were easy...I just knew he'd make them. He's been outstanding for the Niners this year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
I think Pace is safe, that whole new facilities thing was spearheaded by him.

But I think everyone should be very skeptical of him. I think he should at least get a new pro scouting director.

He's entered into season each year with one position that was absolutely atrocious and then usually that position gets killed by injuries. The kicking situation is inexcusable.

All in the name of keeping good salary cap, which has now been chipped away at with lower-tier signings that have turned out to be wastes and we eat the money anyway.

The biggest issue was Glennon. Pace expected this year to be a fair year with Glennon throwing to Meredith and Smith. He wasn't expecting to really play Trubiskey much and was planning on him for 2018.

This is his make it or break it off season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 06:13 PM)

Yeah, we played extremely conservative. I kind of expected us to open it up these final few weeks (so this week, in particular, I was very dissapointed). Then again, Trubisky's footwork was flat awful last week so maybe that was by design (to get him to work on the basics). Trubisky was more accurate but he took a few sacks because he held onto the ball too long (and also took way too many hits running the football for my liking). I was cringing. Our offense has zero personnel though and when they make good plays, there are penalties, etc. Poor Jordan Howard...that said, I see him having a monster year next season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 04:00 AM)

The middle of the field was wide open, but we also had a bunch of guys playing who hadn't played much together. Jimmy G was pretty good and he threw some balls in awesome places. Then again, I'm a huge Jimmy G fan. Love his pure skillset in this NFL.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 08:31 AM)
The biggest issue was Glennon. Pace expected this year to be a fair year with Glennon throwing to Meredith and Smith. He wasn't expecting to really play Trubiskey much and was planning on him for 2018.

This is his make it or break it off season.

I agree with you. This is a huge off-season for Pace...from finding the next head coach / coaching staff to building an offense around Trubiksy (while also continuing to build out the defense). If the arrow isn't pointing up at the end of next year, we are in trouble. Hopefully we get a pick that we can trade down for tons of picks (because one of the QB's is on the board with our pick).

There are so many really bad teams in the league that the win we get against the Browns will be devastating to the pick. By the way, how did the Bucs lose? I didn't watch the game but it seemed like they must have been in scoring position a lot (with no points to show for it).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
Yes, Alshon was horribly mismanaged. So was the Robbie Gould fiasco. I said both all at the time of the deal and couldn't be more right. I was okay if you were going to move away for Gould and invest in the future, but Barth was none of those things and Gould's contract was never going to get in the way of making a signing. The only way dumping Gould made sense was if you went looking for a young kicker or you went out and got a better / as good vet for a similar price.

By the way, even though I defend Fox, etc and don't think he's the reason we stink...I'm not going to be upset if the franchise goes another direction with the head coach. There are enough things I see on the field that I don't like, but I think everyone had blinders on when it came to Trubisky and just young QB's in general. He has a huge off-season ahead of him and I think this will be Pace's defining off-season. You need to show how you build / invest around a young QB, from the coaching staff to personell, etc. Look at the Eagles and what they did. They have put a lot of things around Wentz to put him in the best position to succeed (and that includes an excellent defense and strong rushing attack...plus weapons at the wideout).

Gould is 36 of 38 since the Bears cut him.

The worst thing about the Bears is the fact that we are have shown zero consistency in front office / coaching. That is a really bad thing and it could really hurt the franchise when it comes to finding / landing its next head coach. I firmly believe consistency in the NFL is huge. We haven't had consistency in front office / coaching staffs and intead have consistently sucked. I am a little worried about whether the better candidates are going to have any interest coming to Chicago. It isn't like Trubisky has set the world on fire and there are going to be a handful of jobs open where the head coach can actually pick his QB (vs. inherit one).

This season could become a disaster for the very reason that we have to kick Fox to the curb. I said it before the year...if you were going to get rid of Fox, you should have done it last off-season and not this one. Now you are going to put Trubisky in a new system and give him little continuity. That said, I would have rather had Fox kick butt.