Tebow

NCsoxfan

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
Jay Cutler is Javy Vasquez. Javy Vasquez is Jay Cutler. Tantalizing tools...mediocre results.

Sure but there are way more guys on the planet that can do what Javy Vazquez can do. Jay Cutler is like one of the 15-20 best QB's in the world.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
Jay Cutler is Javy Vasquez. Javy Vasquez is Jay Cutler. Tantalizing tools...mediocre results.

I like this comparison

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
Sure but there are way more guys on the planet that can do what Javy Vazquez can do. Jay Cutler is like one of the 15-20 best QB's in the world.

And agree with this too.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)

What measurement do you want to use?

In 2015, Tyrod Taylor was tied for 7th in passer rating, Cutler was 16th. Taylor's completion percentage was 63.7%, Cutler's 64.4%. At the same time, Taylor's Y/A was 8 versus Cutler's 7.6. Taylor's TD:INT was 20:6, Cutler's 21:11. Taylor's QBR was 70.3, Cutler's 65.9. About the only area Cutler really outplayed Taylor was 4th quarter comebacks, and he has been pretty good in the clutch throughout his career.

Meanwhile, in 2016, Cutler was awful and he got hurt, while Taylor was merely mediocre while maintaining a very low turnover rate.

I don't see how anyone can say with any legitimacy that Jay Cutler is a better QB than Tyrod Taylor other than wearing orange tinted glasses.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)

I don't disagree. But I was always a Jay Cutler fan (and still am). Albeit, no matter how good (or bad) he does in Miami, really has no bearing on what Pace should have done. As much as I rooted for Jay, his time in Chicago had come.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)

In 2015, Tyrod Taylor was tied for 7th in passer rating, Cutler was 16th. Taylor's completion percentage was 63.7%, Cutler's 64.4%. At the same time, Taylor's Y/A was 8 versus Cutler's 7.6. Taylor's TD:INT was 20:6, Cutler's 21:11. Taylor's QBR was 70.3, Cutler's 65.9. About the only area Cutler really outplayed Taylor was 4th quarter comebacks, and he has been pretty good in the clutch throughout his career.

Meanwhile, in 2016, Cutler was awful and he got hurt, while Taylor was merely mediocre while maintaining a very low turnover rate.

I don't see how anyone can say with any legitimacy that Jay Cutler is a better QB than Tyrod Taylor other than wearing orange tinted glasses.

I love Taylor and think that he's very underrated, but I still think that Cutler would have better numbers than Taylor overall had he not been stuck with a garbage offensive line, constant injuries to his receivers, a new offensive coordinator every two seconds, etc.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
Blows? That's kind of ridiculous. He's an above average NFL starting QB. Somewhere in that 14-20 range.

Eh.. that's more or less average actually. I consider 11-15 above average. I see Cutler more in the 16-20 range. That Javy Vazquez comp is damn good though. Million dollar arm, 10 cent head.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)

You got me. I didn't think you could see the orange glasses through the computer screen. Dammit.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 12:03 AM)
I really don't understand the fascination with someone who is not good at a sport. Might as well ask the Kardasians too.

Maybe people think if Tebow goes to their team, God will tip the scales a bit.

QUOTE (AJUribe @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
Theoretically speaking if Tebow played 10 home games in September do all 10 sell out? I'd say 1-3. Also at the same time you would be helping divisional teams sellout road games if he were on the club.

LOL no. None.

I think putting in Eddie Gaedel would produce a similar number of ticket sales.

QUOTE (AJUribe @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
Theoretically speaking if Tebow played 10 home games in September do all 10 sell out? I'd say 1-3. Also at the same time you would be helping divisional teams sellout road games if he were on the club.

Maybe I'm alone, but I doubt Tebow would make any impact on ticket sales. Aside from the handful of teenage girls who have a poster of him in their room--I just don't see the draw factor coming into play. LeBron maybe? Tebow? I'm not sure he was good enough, long enough to draw measurable interest.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 02:53 PM)
Maybe I'm alone, but I doubt Tebow would make any impact on ticket sales. Aside from the handful of teenage girls who have a poster of him in their room--I just don't see the draw factor coming into play. LeBron maybe? Tebow? I'm not sure he was good enough, long enough to draw measurable interest.

There's been a 50% boost in ticket sales at the A-ball level for the Mets this year. Those tickets are $15 for GA, with 2 drinks and 2 hot dogs included on their Tuesday promotion according to the googling I just did (kids get in free!). Altogether that's been the equivalent of about 40,000 extra tickets sold for their A-ball team. The difference is nonzero, but it's not going to "Sell out 10 games" and it would probably be less in the big leagues where costs are higher and where you've already heard of a number of the players - Tebow is likely the only player on that team that most of those new guests have heard of, which would not be the case in the big leagues. I could buy it being worth several thousand extra ticket sales over the course of a month. But an extra 20,000 tickets a game and 200k over 10 games to see a guy who, although he's been better than I thought he'd be, is currently no where near a major league caliber player?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
Who would even get excited about Tebow anyway? He hasn't played in the NFL in 5 years and his popularity peaked 7 or 8 years ago.

Not saying I get the love for Tebow, but I'm pretty sure the stadiums he has played in so far have drawn significantly better when the team he is on plays there.

I'd be more worried about who we gave up to get him and where he would play in the minors as there aren't a lot of OF slots left in the system as opposed to who he is etc. There is zero chance I would call him up this year, no matter how many tickets he would sell. It sends a terrible message to the rest of the system.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
Not saying I get the love for Tebow, but I'm pretty sure the stadiums he has played in so far have drawn significantly better when the team he is on plays there.

Probably worth noting that he's been playing in SEC country.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
There's been a 50% boost in ticket sales at the A-ball level for the Mets this year. Those tickets are $15 for GA, with 2 drinks and 2 hot dogs included on their Tuesday promotion according to the googling I just did (kids get in free!). Altogether that's been the equivalent of about 40,000 extra tickets sold for their A-ball team. The difference is nonzero, but it's not going to "Sell out 10 games" and it would probably be less in the big leagues where costs are higher and where you've already heard of a number of the players - Tebow is likely the only player on that team that most of those new guests have heard of, which would not be the case in the big leagues. I could buy it being worth several thousand extra ticket sales over the course of a month. But an extra 20,000 tickets a game and 200k over 10 games to see a guy who, although he's been better than I thought he'd be, is currently no where near a major league caliber player?

OK at least we have some numbers to look at...of course the entertainment scale for minor league games is seriously stretched if Tim Tebow tips the scales. But let's be honest...in the minors, he's up against Jake the Diamond Dog, and the Zooperstars. A real life person that people know playing in the game maybe just be enough to bring people out. However in the majors...I think people are there to see real MLB players and stars from around the league--our guys--Abreu, Moncada and the studs on opposing teams--Lindor, Machado, Bryant, Harper, Trout, Judge, etc... Now the world is certainly upside down, but If I had $50 to spend on a MLB ticket in Chicago, I'd rather pay to see Mike Trout play baseball than Tim Tebow. But then again...I may never have $50 to begin with..............

QUOTE (AJUribe @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
Yeah yeah l get it. The teams going to suck might as well sell tickets instead of wasting ab's on the adam engel's of the world.

Adam Engel has a solidly higher chance of contributing to this team long term than Tim Tebow does. That was Q's point on the first page or two of this thread - count up OFs and we're sitting on like 9 at the AAA/Big League level

Garcia

Garcia

Garcia

Hanson

Delmonico

Engel

Cordell

Tilson

Liriano

May

Obviously the DH and the DL creates some space to drop people, and not all of those guys are going to be successful, but if you get 1 successful big leaguer out of them by giving them playing time and seeing what they can develop into, you've substantially strengthened your roster. If Engel jumps out to a .775 OPS next year we're suddenly looking at a really valuable player. Would you put "Tim Tebow" in the top 5 of "guys with a nonzero chance of helping out this team long term" from that list? If you don't think he can help this team long term, then play the guys you have and see if someone turns themselves into a big leaguer.