Moncada to get MRI

ron883

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
Bone contusion is not the correct term. It really should be the stress reaction terminology. But I think that will scare too many people.

"Ptatc," should we be worried about Moncada's long term health, or is this the kind of thing that will heal? When I hear "shin splints,' I think of Micky Mantle.

That was the condition to which was attributed his loss of, once dynamic speed. Is shin splints the correct label for this diagnosis?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 03:02 PM)
"Ptatc," should we be worried about Moncada's long term health, or is this the kind of thing that will heal? When I hear "shin splints,' I think of Micky Mantle.

That was the condition to which was attributed his loss of, once dynamic speed. Is shin splints the correct label for this diagnosis?

Most likely not. There are occasions where it lasts even after periods of rest like Kevin White where bony changes occurred. Generally though conservative interventions and rest will take care of it. They will need to look at his off season and in season training and especially footwear to look for the etiology. Baseball footwear can really cause issues due to the firmness of the outsole and spikes.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
No, but this team is trash and Moncada didn't exactly force his way into the bigs. Make the young man earn it when all he is doing in the majors is blowing service time. And now here is blowing service time on the DL... I would have left him in AAA until next May.

It is what it is. I totally understand the reasoning behind getting him to Chicago when they did. I just didn't love the decision.

Service time is irrelevant unless we were planning on keeping him in the minors until mid-late 2018 which would be stupid.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
Service time is irrelevant unless we were planning on keeping him in the minors until mid-late 2018 which would be stupid.

If they didn't call him up at all this year, late May would have done the trick, I'm pretty sure.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
Its the same injury Matt Davidson had. Contusion. He'll be back first or second week of September. Doesn't give us much more time to see him this year though.

It's not a contusion though. Davidson had a hit on the wrist to cause a contusion of the soft tissue ie bruise. Moncada did not have this. the "bone contusion" really doesn't exist. They are using an improper term.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 05:35 PM)
It's not a contusion though. Davidson had a hit on the wrist to cause a contusion of the soft tissue ie bruise. Moncada did not have this. the "bone contusion" really doesn't exist. They are using an improper term.

I actually thought same, with the Harper injury. Didn't they call it a bone bruise? Seemed strange to me.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 08:16 PM)
I actually thought same, with the Harper injury. Didn't they call it a bone bruise? Seemed strange to me.

Many people use that term. bone can't really bruise. There can be edema in the marrow and inside. Bone has no nerve endings. There is no sensation in bone. The covering of the bone called periosteum is a connective tissue that contain the nerves. So these injuries are really periostial irritations with a stress reaction (if no trauma), a small "crack" in the bone (with trauma) or a disruption of the blood flow to the area. But the bone itself doesn't actually hurt.

However, the term bone bruise is used because in the case of trauma it is very similar and who wants to say "he has a a periostial irritation with a minor stress reaction".

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 26, 2017 -> 12:25 AM)
I'm not liking the sound of this. Definitely has kevin white vibes.

It's not to that extent. Tests showed multiple "cracks" for lack of a better word in White's tibia. This is why the surgery was necessary. Moncada's didn't show any of these by all reports.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 26, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)
It's not to that extent. Tests showed multiple "cracks" for lack of a better word in White's tibia. This is why the surgery was necessary. Moncada's didn't show any of these by all reports.

Man, that sounds awful. Are stress breaks like that typically due to genetics?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 19m19 minutes ago Moncada in Chicago resting leg Renteria said. 'Once we get back we'll get sense of how irritation is & if he's able to start bball activity'

Yea was just about to post that. Bummer. Sounds like he'll probably play the last two weeks, if at all. Hopefully they can get him on a better training plan this offseason he might be better served losing some bulk.