Ongoing storm disaster thread

bmags

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 04:48 PM)
Did most evacuate? Seems like it's not living up to the hype, thank god.

Yea most evacuated but there is always the stubborn ones. I still see it listed as Cat 3, and the back end of the storm is supposed to be the stronger part of the storm.

Plus, Jose might just follow it :(

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 04:48 PM)
Did most evacuate? Seems like it's not living up to the hype, thank god.

A lot of people did but we have no idea how many people are left. There are hundreds of businesses that wouldn't let their employees leave, much of the peninsula ran out of gas on Thursday, and if people couldn't afford to leave or find gas they would have been stuck in place.

A lot of people have been sharing photographs taken from the exposed beaches when the first half of the storm surge has lowered the ocean by 3-4 feet. If they're still near that beach when it comes back in on the other side of the eye, they're goign to die.

Been without power since 8ish at my parents in Orlando. I flew back in from NY on Friday and wasnt going to go home to Tampa. Some heavy winds and rain but the worst is getting close. Actually the wind is really howling as i type this out.

My sister lost power in the Boca area earlier this morning but it just turned back on. Another sister left Boca earlier this week to go to Naples. Of course that backfired but she is with her boyfriend and his parents and they live east of 75, a decent ways from the gulf. Nothing overly bad where she's at, especially compared to the flooding near the beach and on Marco Island.

A coworker of mine lives in the Daytona area and just lost power maybe an hour or so ago. She sent a text out saying some people in her neighborhood have been robbed at gun point. f***ing disgusting.

So far 3 deaths so far. All because people were driving in it.

Edited by zenryan

Florida got really lucky that Cuba took a big chunk out of Irma and that it ended up pushing back east rather than riding up the whole coast. Glad the damage there seems relatively limited, even if there are a whole lot of people without power right now. We saw what this storm was capable of on some of the other islands.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
Florida got really lucky that Cuba took a big chunk out of Irma and that it ended up pushing back east rather than riding up the whole coast. Glad the damage there seems relatively limited, even if there are a whole lot of people without power right now. We saw what this storm was capable of on some of the other islands.

Plus the track it took over florida kept it from recharging at all. 50 miles either direction and we are talking about a much bigger beast.

I'm sure south Tampa and across the bay into St Pete/Pinellas County got some flooding. Hope not but in 2015 it rained for a couple weeks straight, 3rd wettest August in Tampa since 1890, and South Tampa flooded bc the drainage from the bay came up in the streets. I'm as far northeast in Tampa as you can be and still have a Tampa mailing address so I'm good. Sounds like a lot of debris.

Harvey threaded itself between my son in Brownsville and my daughter in Houston. Her house was safe from the flooding but there was devastation close by.

Those that remember FlaSoxxJim might like to know after "camping" without electricity at his house his power was finally restored earlier today. From the pictures he posted he was eating well while cooking on a coleman camp stove.

PR faces 4-6 months before power is fully restored

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/hurric...sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Edited by StrangeSox