Athletics interested in Avisail Garcia

Y2Jimmy0

Really don't want to trade Avi and think he can be a valuable piece to a contending Sox team for a long time

BUT if offered a package of Luzardo, Lazarito, and Shore/Holmes/Murphy/Neuse must be listened to (Not happening)

Side Note: How is Billy Beane employed? Yes OAK has a minuscule payroll and dying fan base, but getting deep into a rebuild only to start over time after time gets old...that '13 team was awesome

1 step forward and 2 steps back over and over and over

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
The guys being discussed as possible targets for Avi aren't org filler. They are guys that actually have a chance to be quality big leaguers or more.

There is a difference between names being thrown around on Soxtalk and names being thrown around by Hahn/Beane. Again- if some team is willing to overpay, then by all means, oblige them. If not, is it really worth it? I haven't seen anything reported return-wise, just that Oakland has an alleged interest in Garcia.

I'm squarely in the don't trade Avi boat. I'm not sure what his value is, nor do I think most of us know what his value is. In cases like that I feel like the downside outweighs the upside.

Who knows if last year was for real, but we're in the situation to find out. If it was a fluke? You lose out on some mid-level prospects. But if he repeats and turns in another year like last year? I mean he's still young and remember the excitement when he came in for Peavy? Lil Miggy talk?

I just think it makes sense to roll the dice with him again this year. And this comes from a very anti-Avi guy a few years back.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
I'm squarely in the don't trade Avi boat. I'm not sure what his value is, nor do I think most of us know what his value is. In cases like that I feel like the downside outweighs the upside.

Who knows if last year was for real, but we're in the situation to find out. If it was a fluke? You lose out on some mid-level prospects. But if he repeats and turns in another year like last year? I mean he's still young and remember the excitement when he came in for Peavy? Lil Miggy talk?

I just think it makes sense to roll the dice with him again this year. And this comes from a very anti-Avi guy a few years back.

If he repeats a year like he did last year...then he will be a solid player who is 1 year away from Free Agency and looking at a >$20 million a year, Justin Upton kind of deal. While teams would have more confidence in him repeating it for 2019, teams would also know that he's a last ditch option on the 2019 market since he's only on a 1 year deal, and they will have other options like Harper, Adam Jones, McCutchen, Gardner, Brantley, Matt Joyce, and more who can be gotten for only money with little to no draft pick compensation.

In the case of right now, his early career limits his trade value since people aren't sure he can repeat it. If he's a success, next offseason his trade value is limited because he'll be so close to his price shooting up. Holding him is unlikely to see his value go up by a huge amount. Possibly he could be worth the most at the deadline this year, if he comes out on fire in the first half, but now you're counting on him to "not have an unlucky first half" which could happen by a roll of the dice anyway.

I see limited upside risk to holding him and substantial downside risk, unless we're willing to gamble on being the team that extends him ourselves.

I hope we trade Avi to San Diego and are done with all the Avi talk regarding trades. He's one of my favorites and at least trading him to San Diego would make me forget about him.

Let's face it. Sox are in a no win with Avi. Keep him and he does well and the money people will say, "Oh no. We can't afford him (as we save Jerry penny after penny)." Keep him and he reverts back, "See we should have traded high on Avi."

I fully expect us to deal him at winter meetings or in that time frame. We'll probably get one good prospect, two fringe guys from somebody. I'd keep him and sign him to a nice deal but not earth shattering but like I said it'd be nice to not hear about trading Avi any more and if that means trading Avi, please do so.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 05:46 PM)
I hope we trade Avi to San Diego and are done with all the Avi talk regarding trades. He's one of my favorites and at least trading him to San Diego would make me forget about him.

Let's face it. Sox are in a no win with Avi. Keep him and he does well and the money people will say, "Oh no. We can't afford him (as we save Jerry penny after penny)." Keep him and he reverts back, "See we should have traded high on Avi."

I fully expect us to deal him at winter meetings or in that time frame. We'll probably get one good prospect, two fringe guys from somebody. I'd keep him and sign him to a nice deal but not earth shattering but like I said it'd be nice to not hear about trading Avi any more and if that means trading Avi, please do so.

That's it! Trade him for Tatis Jr.! This board would explode, I think.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 05:00 PM)
is this just some writer's speculation? For the life of me I really have no clue why the A's would even remotely consider this?!?

I think it is speculation. If I'm the A's, I would use the farm to help acquire Ozuna, not Avi.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/261950410/wh...ctive-to-teams/

With $295 million left on Stanton's contract and Martinez demanding a high price on the free-agent market, Garcia could provide a nice option. He could upgrade the outfield for contenders while allowing teams to hold onto flexibility for next offseason's historic crop of free agents.

Goes on to list teams that could be a potential fit for an Avi trade.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 06:13 PM)
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/261950410/wh...ctive-to-teams/

Goes on to list teams that could be a potential fit for an Avi trade.

Anyone care to speculate what trade packages from those teams (Diamondbacks, Giants, Blue Jays, Orioles, Mariners, Rockies, Rangers) would look like?

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 07:46 PM)
Totally agree. I think Avi will be dealt after some of the big bats are signed/traded ala Stanton and Martinez.

With as many teams as were mentioned as plausibly considering an OF, Stanton, Martinez, and Jay Bruce are the only guys who played nearly-full seasons and who are corner OFs. There are some other guys like Howie Kendrick, Austin Jackson, and Daniel Nava who had decent seasons in part-time roles, but yeah - there should be more demand than supply.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
Ozuna would take way more than Avi. I think Avi is a consolation prize they may find easier to acquire.

I do not disagree. But if I'm giving up prospects for a player with 2 years of control in an effort to be competitive, I'd go all out for Ozuna. Better yet, since Oakland is willing to give up prospects and wants to truly add to their current core ( 2 years of control doesn't really fit that idea) go bats*** crazy for Yelich ( signed through 2021 with option for '22) who fits the A's future plans better than Avi or Ozuna.

I would take the A's reported interest in Avi with a grain of salt.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 08:46 PM)
A's just traded their 1B away and plan to move Khris Davis to DH. So now they have an opening in the OF for a right-handed hitting corner outfielder, but I don't know if the trade signals that they are rebuilding or if they are happy with Matt Chapman and Matt Olson in the infield corners.

It appears to be the latter. They like Chapman and Olson.

If you can get a B prospect and a couple C+ guys, especially hard throwing relievers that perhaps Cooper has ID'd, make the deal. If they aren't willing to give that, then forget about it as he'll have similar value at the trade deadline if he hits something like 280/330/460, which he's capable of even with regression.