Dodgers trade Adrian Gonzalez, BMac, Kazmir, Culberson

Heads22

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 10:03 PM)
Dodgers willing to trade prospect(s) to unload 2 years of Kemp. Depending on who they would offer, I'd want the Sox to look into this.

Sox are in a perfect position to do this. It's not like two years of Kemp's salary will inhibit the team in any way.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 11:45 PM)
The Dodgers wouldn't give you prospects to take Kemp. They don't care about paying his salary, they just cared about the AAV getting them under the CB tax.

I think the incentive for the Dodgers would be going shopping on the FA market next winter without Kemp's salary on the books. They know they need to retain Kershaw and they are rumored to be going after Harper so getting under the threshold this year allows them to spend stupidly next year.

Slick deal for both teams, IMHO.

Interesting story on how MLB is making money hand over fist...but not spending as much on players...and it is the MLBPA that is partially to blame for it:

www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-mlbpa-has-a-big-problem-to-address-as-dodgers-yankees-marlins-dump-salary/

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 01:00 AM)
Interesting story on how MLB is making money hand over fist...but not spending as much on players...and it is the MLBPA that is partially to blame for it:

www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-mlbpa-has-a-big-problem-to-address-as-dodgers-yankees-marlins-dump-salary/

This just mirrors the trend in the US economy since the 1980’s.

Corporations making record profits, with unions/labor organizations weakening and the spread between executive/ownership compensation diverging increasing from workers.

Of course, the major difference is the labor supply of workers can’t as easily be outsourced or replaced with all Foreign players. Of course, if we have robot players imbued with realistic AI qualities in the future, we’ll have to revisit.

In all seriousness, you've got more rebuilding teams trying to dump salaries or situations like the Marlins...because there’s closer than ever before to 6-8 superteams that have appreciably higher odds of winning.

Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Astros, Angels, Indians (for two more years), Nats

Everyone else in that “middle tier” like the Cards, Giants, M’s, Blue Jays, Mets...even with more financial resources, is it really worth it for them to be all in?

That leaves the White Sox, Royals, Tigers, Rays, Orioles, Braves, Reds, A’s, Marlins, Padres all cutting...that’s 1/3rd of MLB.

Brewers, DBacks, Phillies, Rangers, Twins, Rockies and Pirates will spend...? Hard decisions for some of those franchises in the same divisions with superteams.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 07:03 AM)
MLBTR says they want to. Why wouldn't they want to clear $21m each of next 2 years?

It would be interesting to see what kind of prospects they would be willing to sell for $42 million. I would imagine them being the kind you wouldn't want to buy for that amount.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)
Dodgers willing to trade prospect(s) to unload 2 years of Kemp. Depending on who they would offer, I'd want the Sox to look into this.

This should be explored by the Sox.

I don't understand why the Braves wouldn't have insisted on getting a prospect back. It doesn't make sense for one team to bail out another financially without getting prospects back. The Stanton trade was the same. Why would the Marlins not insist on one of the Yankees' top 5 prospects in addition to taking Castro's contract?

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)

I don't understand why the Braves wouldn't have insisted on getting a prospect back. It doesn't make sense for one team to bail out another financially without getting prospects back. The Stanton trade was the same. Why would the Marlins not insist on one of the Yankees' top 5 prospects in addition to taking Castro's contract?

Remember that they also traded 2 years of Kemp for one year of 3 bad contracts. The money was close overall. Also cleared a spot in the OF for Acuña.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 07:05 AM)
Remember that they also traded 2 years of Kemp for one year of 3 bad contracts. The money was close overall. Also cleared a spot in the OF for Acuña.

The trade makes sense in a perfect world, but because of the financial imbalances in MLB, trades should not be equal.

If I'm a GM trading with any of the big money teams (LAD, NYY, CHC! Etc), I'm insisting on winning the trade. They will outspend everyone for FAs, so the bottom 24 teams have to get their prospects back in any trade.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)

Matt Kemp and Gavin Lux to the SouthSide?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 08:03 AM)
MLBTR says they want to. Why wouldn't they want to clear $21m each of next 2 years?

You're right, I saw Rosenthal's report now. Sorry, I just couldn't believe they'd be so short-sighted.

I mean, of course, they'd want to clear that money, but to give up prospects to do it?

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)

AA was with dodgers previously he was doing his old org a solid

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
Need more then that for 42 million. He's essentially worth at most 1 year 5 million ish. That means you are talking a top 40 prospect or two top 100 prospects you like.

I'd say you're pretty close on this. Luis Robert got a 26M signing bonus and is currently ranked #23 on mlbs pipeline.

Kemp should be worth about half of his remaining 42M. So we would be looking for a prospect who's value is around 20M, give or take. Probably won't get Verdugo ( ranked #24 ) but maybe Kemp + one of Alvarez/Kendall/Diaz gets it done.

I like the idea of Lux. Add Caleb Ferguson to Lux and Kemp, and I'm in.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 06:01 AM)

About Stanton. The Marlins were in no position to insist on anything. There main goal was dump as much of the salary as possible or pretty much keep Stanton and his salary. They were the beggars in this scenario with only 1 team that could give them a hand out and that was the Yankees. That gives the Yanks the upper hand. The yankees could clearly contend without Stanton but could new Marlin ownership deal with having an unhappy Stanton and his salary ? Desperation means you can't make demands in a trade.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
About Stanton. The Marlins were in no position to insist on anything. There main goal was dump as much of the salary as possible or pretty much keep Stanton and his salary. They were the beggars in this scenario with only 1 team that could give them a hand out and that was the Yankees. That gives the Yanks the upper hand. The yankees could clearly contend without Stanton but could new Marlin ownership deal with having an unhappy Stanton and his salary ? Desperation means you can't make demands in a trade.

This is true. However what I don't get is that the cash strapped Marlins GAVE the incredibly wealthy Yankees 30 million dollars. That makes little sense to me.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
I'd say you're pretty close on this. Luis Robert got a 26M signing bonus and is currently ranked #23 on mlbs pipeline.

Kemp should be worth about half of his remaining 42M. So we would be looking for a prospect who's value is around 20M, give or take. Probably won't get Verdugo ( ranked #24 ) but maybe Kemp + one of Alvarez/Kendall/Diaz gets it done.

I like the idea of Lux. Add Caleb Ferguson to Lux and Kemp, and I'm in.

Yeah, if you take a look at what Liriano went for it was two fringy top 100 guys he was making less and had some upside vs Kemp who has none. So at the very least I'd want two guys just inside or outside the top 100 with upside and looking at the dodgers system there isn't much there. Thier top guys struggled badly. Even Alvarez who I like was pretty bad in 2017 had command issues and 1.6 WHIP. Their bottom 100 guys don't really excite me Lux is interesting but he struggled to hit in A ball.

It all depends on how motivated the Dodgers are to move him I wouldn't be surprised to see a team end up with more. Kemp is a toxic asset.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)

Exactly. Jeter's first mistake was announcing to the world that the Marlins wanted to reduce payroll. Then they tried to sell Stanton in a very limited market with teams that had the money and space for such a salary. Then they tried to play hardball with Stanton by trying to force him to agree to SF or STL or remain a Marlin, to which he obviously called their bluff. That left the Marlins in a position to take whatever offer the Yanks presented or sit on it until July 2018.

Look at the Ozuna trade. There's a few nice prospects ( Sierra/Alcantara) in that trade but Ozuna couldn't net just 1 top 100 prospect? Maybe Jeter was looking for quantity in that deal?

Not impressed with Jeter so far.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
Dodgers have a lot of prospects, no doubt about it.

And yet they aren't trading any of them away for 1 year rents of FA targets next year so that they can demonstrate first-hand, that Dodger culture. And they actually dumped a bunch of declining veterans! Morons

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
Dodgers have a lot of prospects, no doubt about it.

Yep they have plenty of depth and intriguing guys. Which is what happens when you are willing to spend over 30 million EACH for guys like Alvarez and Diaz after penalties.

It's just a bunch of the top guys with the exception of Verdugo took a step back. Buehler was awful in his debut. Kendell struggled when promoted. Alvarez struggled with command.