Avi could start rehab stint next week

southsider2k5

Avi ... we hardly knew ya. Kidding.

But you folks who wanted to trade him were correct (as usual compared to my oft inaccurate takes). Avi has been long forgotten by most of us. We've moved on without him and survived (I mean we win a couple games a week for gosh sakes) so that being said you are right, we shoulda traded him. This hammy thing is really derailing his season, coupled with his lousy at bats earlier this season where he was hacking at everything and not successfully. Avi baby we still love ya  however those soxtalkers were right. You shoulda been dealt at your highest premium level. Hail to Avi though!

Edited by greg775

4 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

I like Trayce's defense in RF but his bat just can't come close to Avi's.

I agree but that's last year's Avi. Remember all those horrid at bats this season? Out after out, no working the counts, seemingly distracted hitter. 

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

I agree but that's last year's Avi. Remember all those horrid at bats this season? Out after out, no working the counts, seemingly distracted hitter. 

Perhaps, but Garcia's average is 100+ points better and his OPS is 130+ points better. Although Garcia struggled, Thompson is on another level of shittiness.

He won't have enough of an opportunity to establish his trade value, so he will likely be the starting right fielder, next season. Then what could transpire, if Lopez, Kopech, Giolito and a healthy Rodon keep the Sox in contention, and Avi has a good first half, is that they could face the dilemma of either trading him before the trade deadline, or keeping him, for the final stretch of the race. If Eloy has already been called up, he could certainly take over in RF, but having both Avi and Jimenez in the lineup could be the preferred strategy, if the Sox are indeed competing. Of course, If the Sox falter, out of the gate, all of that would be a mute point. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Perhaps, but Garcia's average is 100+ points better and his OPS is 130+ points better. Although Garcia struggled, Thompson is on another level of shittiness.

Yeah, poor Trayce is done as a big leaguer. Independent league is coming soon. I'm afraid Tilson looks like he can't hit either. Engel is likely another guy headed to independent league baseball pretty soon. This is an unforgiving sport.

54 minutes ago, Lillian said:

He won't have enough of an opportunity to establish his trade value, so he will likely be the starting right fielder, next season. Then what could transpire, if Lopez, Kopech, Giolito and a healthy Rodon keep the Sox in contention, and Avi has a good first half, is that they could face the dilemma of either trading him before the trade deadline, or keeping him, for the final stretch of the race. If Eloy has already been called up, he could certainly take over in RF, but having both Avi and Jimenez in the lineup could be the preferred strategy, if the Sox are indeed competing. Of course, If the Sox falter, out of the gate, all of that would be a mute point. 

I sincerely wonder if he will actually be the "Starting RF next season". He's making $6.7 million this season and another arbitration year would push him probably past $9 million. If he's not able to get the bat going to at least decent, would you pay $9 million for him next year?

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Just stop... you're inner statnik is showing! 😛

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I sincerely wonder if he will actually be the "Starting RF next season". He's making $6.7 million this season and another arbitration year would push him probably past $9 million. If he's not able to get the bat going to at least decent, would you pay $9 million for him next year?

Well, he would have to really be bad, to simply DFA him.

Interesting comments about forgetting Avi etc. the guy was hurt! Rodon was hurt! Others were hurt, on the team. You don’t play when you’re on the DL  so how can you judge a player in that position? no one has performed in a replacement role. I am looking forward to seeing Garcia back healthy

19 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Interesting comments about forgetting Avi etc. the guy was hurt! Rodon was hurt! Others were hurt, on the team. You don’t play when you’re on the DL  so how can you judge a player in that position? no one has performed in a replacement role. I am looking forward to seeing Garcia back healthy

Garcia didn't perform either.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, elrockinMT said:

I love you el rockin but hammies are tough; he might be hurt all season. All that starting and stopping. Maybe ptatc can fill us in. Avi had reverted back to crap before he was hurt. I worship Avi and if the injury affected him prior to the DL, my bad, but I'm concerned he was a one-year wonder. It's his fault basically. He has all the talent in the world.

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

The eye test tells us all we need to kno about Thompson. Poor guy is finished. No more chances. 

I do agree. Thompson should be the odd man out when Avi returns. Hmmm, he might be the odd man out once Leury returns.

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Garcia didn't perform either.

yeah but to be fair he only played 18 games and at least half of them probably were trying to play through injury. His first 9 games he hit .300, then the next 9 he hit .100, this probably can be attributed to the injury already.

He did overperform last year and was due to a regression but this years sample was probably mostly related to injury.

He  probably when healthy is a 105-110 wRC+ hitter which is above average but not the level he did last year fueled by a .390 babip