GRate to get Netting to the Foul Poles

Panerista

6 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

I'll be going to a game next week and sitting in the lower corners. I'll be interested to see how it looks from there

I'm curious what the very corners look like. Everywhere else should be fine, but I wonder if you have to look through too much net in the corner. 

Anxious to see it in operation.  The fans behind the dugouts are sure going to miss those souvenir balls the players often toss to them.  On another note...my Cubs fan brother was very complementary of the Sox making such a fan friendly safety move.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Anxious to see it in operation.  The fans behind the dugouts are sure going to miss those souvenir balls the players often toss to them.  On another note...my Cubs fan brother was very complementary of the Sox making such a fan friendly safety move.

Sounds like the net not rolling up was ditched to get them up asap, and that it will be addressed in the offseason

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

They chuck them over the nets to the fans behind the dugout already though. 

3 hours ago, mqr said:

Sounds like the net not rolling up was ditched to get them up asap, and that it will be addressed in the offseason

I don't see any reason they couldn't figure out a way to make them like the NFL Field Goal nets behind the uprights. At the very least, the areas directly behind the dugout should have some type of retractable netting for the kids.

14 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don't see any reason they couldn't figure out a way to make them like the NFL Field Goal nets behind the uprights. At the very least, the areas directly behind the dugout should have some type of retractable netting for the kids.

It’s way more complicated a situation on a baseball field than a football field.

And I think they will, they are just focused on getting them up for this year as soon as they could. 

11 hours ago, Tony said:

You’ve posted one word responses, but never actually said why you are so anti-nets, or anti-safety in this instance 

I've responded to it before and bmags had a post on it on the front page. I've already gotten rid of season tickets of the netting making the views worse, so that's the top reason. The one word responses are because a lot of it isnt worth responding to. We have posters who dont come off as genuine but rather want to feel morally superior on an internet message board for... reasons, shouting stuff like someone is going to die. Of course no one actually believes that. We have 140 years worth of data telling us why that wont happen. There are other safety factors to consider but this is probably the laziest way to address it. MLB more than ever needs fans to have an intimacy with the field and to have a closeness with its players. The first is a major selling point of modern baseball and the second point has always been one. The netting is going to do a lot more damage to that than I think people realize, but we shall see.

mod note: removed previous quote.

37 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I've responded to it before and bmags had a post on it on the front page. I've already gotten rid of season tickets of the netting making the views worse, so that's the top reason. The one word responses are because a lot of it isnt worth responding to. We have posters who dont come off as genuine but rather want to feel morally superior on an internet message board for... reasons, shouting stuff like someone is going to die. Of course no one actually believes that. We have 140 years worth of data telling us why that wont happen. There are other safety factors to consider but this is probably the laziest way to address it. MLB more than ever needs fans to have an intimacy with the field and to have a closeness with its players. The first is a major selling point of modern baseball and the second point has always been one. The netting is going to do a lot more damage to that than I think people realize, but we shall see.

reported x2

Wait a second, so in your opinion putting up nets is a lazy way to deal with people getting hit by line drives?   What exactly is a non-lazy way to to deal with a projectile traveling hundreds of miles an hour into a crowd?   Drones with lasers?

i get that you are all mad and shit about netting because you think it is a barrier but damn dude, a kid almost died this season, people have lost their eyesight. 140 years of data?  People have gotten hurt every year, a lady died after getting hit by a ball at dodger stadium LAST YEAR.  You simply cannot guarantee safety in a ballpark.   They are working on installing long term retractable netting, because they know how important it is to be close to players.  You just sound like a guy mad at the seatbelt law because his girlfriend can't slide across the seat and sit next to him 

21 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Wait a second, so in your opinion putting up nets is a lazy way to deal with people getting hit by line drives?   What exactly is a non-lazy way to to deal with a projectile traveling hundreds of miles an hour into a crowd?   Drones with lasers?

i get that you are all mad and shit about netting because you think it is a barrier but damn dude, a kid almost died this season, people have lost their eyesight. 140 years of data?  People have gotten hurt every year, a lady died after getting hit by a ball at dodger stadium LAST YEAR.  You simply cannot guarantee safety in a ballpark.   They are working on installing long term retractable netting, because they know how important it is to be close to players.  You just sound like a guy mad at the seatbelt law because his girlfriend can't slide across the seat and sit next to him 

The lady died sitting behind netting. Not really sure how that helps your point at all. 140 years no one has died sitting down those lines but people will still bring it up as if it's some relevant point. It's not. No one is going to die, as the previous 140 years have proven to us. Again I'm not ignoring other safety issues, just when people bring up death it's laughable. I would have put age restrictions in the lower rows first and go from there.

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The lady died sitting behind netting. Not really sure how that helps your point at all. 140 years no one has died sitting down those lines but people will still bring it up as if it's some relevant point. It's not. No one is going to die, as the previous 140 years have proven to us. Again I'm not ignoring other safety issues, just when people bring up death it's laughable. I would have put age restrictions in the lower rows first and go from there.

Weird how her family is advocating for nets and how her husband said if the dodgers raised the vertical netting, she wouldn't have been hurt. 

Nothing is relevant to you because you don't care about others getting hurt.  Just say it, it's fine.  Preventing people from getting hurt and dying isn't a bad thing, stop crying about looking through netting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Weird how her family is advocating for nets and how her husband said if the dodgers raised the vertical netting, she wouldn't have been hurt. 

Nothing is relevant to you because you don't care about others getting hurt.  Just say it, it's fine.  Preventing people from getting hurt and dying isn't a bad thing, stop crying about looking through netting.

Raise vertical netting behind home plate? Okay. I dont care. Thats not affecting anything unless they're going extreme to the far upper part of the stadium (but that's not happening). That's still not relevant to anything were talking about and quite frankly her family should be saying those things. 

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

Raise vertical netting behind home plate? Okay. I dont care. Thats not affecting anything unless they're going extreme to the far upper part of the stadium (but that's not happening). That's still not relevant to anything were talking about and quite frankly her family should be saying those things. 

Stomp them feet, get rid of them tickets. You will show them 

58 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Your 140 years of data is meaningless when exit velocities are believed to be at an all-time high now. Pretending that the risk now is equal to the risk in 1880 is disingenuous. 

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 3