16 Team Playoffs in 2020 Agreed Upon

KrankinSox

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This would be amazing. It would mean we'd have a really good shot to get in. Next year we may be division favorites anyway, so it could revert back then. 

Yup. The way I see it, the Royals, Tigers, Orioles, Blue Jays, and Mariners have no shot at being better than the Sox.

That leaves 10 teams fighting for 8 spots. We'd just have to finish ahead of 2 of the following teams:

Red Sox, Rays, Yanks, Twins, Indians, Astros, A's, Angels, and Rangers.

I think that is very likely to happen. 

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

Not the point. I’m a baseball fan. I want smart decisions, not stupid ones.

If you watch, you are the point MLB is making this year. In a 60 game season, they need the games to be exciting. If each league has 8 PO teams, teams are less likely to tank, providing a much better product. Fans will also hang around knowing their team has a shot to make the playoffs. And most importantly, people will watch. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If you watch, you are the point MLB is making this year. In a 60 game season, they need the games to be exciting. If each league has 8 PO teams, teams are less likely to tank, providing a much better product. Fans will also hang around knowing their team has a shot to make the playoffs. And most importantly, people will watch. 

Will they go back to 10 total next year? Promise that. That’s my concern. It’s supposed to be really hard to make the playoffs in baseball. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flavum said:

Will they go back to 10 total next year? Promise that. That’s my concern. It’s supposed to be really hard to make the playoffs in baseball. 

I’m sure.  I think this year should just be about as much excitement for as many fans as possible.  And expanding the playoffs helps a lot of teams get some more bucks and maybe keep more employees, not trim 2021 payrolls as much etc.  Stimulus

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

How is that not awesome.  More shit talking is good.  Fans love that

No kidding. Just imagine the bulletin board fodder. "They had the balls to pick us!"

I'm not a fan for it to always be that way but for this season it will create fan interest. At least they are trying something original.

18 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

"The New York Yankees select the Minnesota Twins and a first round bye" is totally going to happen.

Actually, the Astros selected the Yankees as the top seed but they were denied. The Yankees then selected the Twins and the Astros got the Ray's. 

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No kidding. Just imagine the bulletin board fodder. "They had the balls to pick us!"

I'm not a fan for it to always be that way but for this season it will create fan interest. At least they are trying something original.

Hopefully this is truly a one-off thing and not laying the groundwork to implement it in future seasons.

Just now, pcq said:

Would have a proviso- no losing records invited.

Agreed, but then why do it at all? There will be under .500 teams at 8 in each league, more than likely.

6 in each league this year, I would have totally understood. 8 in each league...dumb. Teams picking their opponent...dumber.

• Kalapse changed the title to 16 Team Playoffs in 2020 Agreed Upon