Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

39 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

What if Kopech is a complete head case and never figures it out - peaks at a 4/5 at best? DeGrom is a SURE thing for 3 seasons + THIS years playoff run. So really it is 4 seasons of value.  Yes, losing Vaughn would suck and he is gonna be great, but unless Bauer falls in sox lap, they are still a dominant starter short. DeGrom is the ONLY pitcher I do that for or Bieber maybe. I want to believe in Kopech, but he is still just a prospect coming off TJ. 

I wasn't even really looking at Kopech. Giving up Kopech, Steiver and Vaughn would be a blow to anything else for the future. I don't think they get him for only 2 of the prospects. If it was only Kopech and Vaughn, you may do that. De Grom is 32 and it may work for this year but going forward he may age quickly.

16 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

How about Dalquist and a soft landing special assistant to the GM job for Eppler for Marsh?

I personally think it'd take something like this for Marsh

Cease for Marsh + or Dunning + Collins for Marsh with some 25 - 30 lotto ticket in the Angels system coming back our way. I don't give a shit what Longenhagen says with regards to Dunning and keeping at 45FV. Dunning has the draft pedigree and former top 100 prospect tag in addition to an impressive debut after a long lay off.

58 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Heck no.

Stay the course and see what we’ve got in Kopech and Vaughn. They possibly will bring 5 to 8 total annual WAR for years.

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting it.  I was responding to that comment that said Vaughn + Kopech doesn't get you close - to which I disagree. 

40 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

I would not make any major deals in this shortened season. This team right now is good enough to make the expanded playoffs. Even with this teams lack of starting pitching once there you never know what might happen. Any way it will be great experience for this young team. In the upcoming offseason is when you try to get yourself a quality starter and maybe go after a right fielder. 

Agree 10000%.  This is the first time where I do not want trades made. Save our assets.  Still not a guarantee that this season finishes. Kopech coming next year.  What is status of Rodon and Bummer injuries/rehab? Also glad Hahn has options on EE and Chisek for next year.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hard pass on trying to acquire Castellanos.  Guys, we need to play defense.  Eloy and Castellanos are two of the worst in the game.  Just say no - our defense would be locked in horrible through 2023.  

I agree. As long as Eloy is in LF, they can't have another butcher out there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beautox said:

Cease for Marsh + or Dunning + Collins for Marsh with some 25 - 30 lotto ticket in the Angels system coming back our way. I don't give a shit what Longenhagen says with regards to Dunning and keeping at 45FV. Dunning has the draft pedigree and former top 100 prospect tag in addition to an impressive debut after a long lay off.

I wouldnt give up Dunning no matter what. He can very easily be our 3 and at least a 4. He has a higher floor than most of our pitchers and has good command. Law mentioned in a recent column that he continues to believe he should be a league average SP which is pretty valuable. 

Regarding Collins, I still like him (I am of course highly biased as a Univ of Miami fan) and he has a role next year as the backup. I think he'd be hitting more with more playing time. And his value would also go up once electronic strike zones eventually come into play. I would hold on to him for now. If EE doesn't turn it around, I'd like to see what he can do as an everyday DH vs RHP.

2 minutes ago, knightni said:

I know that he's been having control issues, but what about Robbie Ray?

He'd be a veteran body who's going to be a free agent in the offseason.

Perhaps he'd be a cheap acquisition that could work on his pitching down the stretch and contribute.

I think Robby Ray is a great FA fit for this team, so I'd be all for acquiring him now.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hard pass on trying to acquire Castellanos.  Guys, we need to play defense.  Eloy and Castellanos are two of the worst in the game.  Just say no - our defense would be locked in horrible through 2023.  

This.  We can't have another historically bad OF on defense out there right now. 

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The infatuation with Castellanos has become a parody of itself. This team already has 5 DHs on it. 

• Like 3

Just now, mqr said:

The infatuation with Castellanos has become a parody of itself. This team already has 5 DHs on it. 

It's a joke.  He's a horrific fit for this team.  If he signed a one year deal this offseason - OK whatever, I'd deal with it to get his stick in the lineup.  Long term, its not workable at all.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

It's a joke.  He's a horrific fit for this team.  If he signed a one year deal this offseason - OK whatever, I'd deal with it to get his stick in the lineup.  Long term, its not workable at all.  

But you see, it's as simple as Castellanos > Mazara

38 minutes ago, beautox said:

I don't understand... Why does everyone want Marsh so bad?

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

But you see, it's as simple as Castellanos > Mazara

If only.  Bottom line, this team needs to improve its defense moving forward, not hurt it. Madrigal helps.  Obviously Robert helps.  Anderson continuing to improve helps.  But you can't have two DHs in the corner OFs. The Sox really need their next RF to be a guy that can at least plays league average defense, and ideally he's a guy that can hit from the left side.  Now if you can get Springer to sign, I'd move past that lefty/switch requirement, but that's going to be tough regardless.   

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

I mentioned this in the trade deadline thread, and it is pretty much not a reality I wouldn't think, but Boston keeps avoiding opportunities to say they aren't trading Bogaerts.  You could play him anywhere on the IF and he is signed through 25 with on option for 26.  He would be a great fit.

Really no idea what Boston would be looking for, but in a weird year, maybe you can get him for a weird deal.  i wonder if something like Madrigal, Collins and Thomson or Dahlquist would be enough to temp them.  Collins may have more appeal to Boston because I think his game probably translates pretty well to Fenway.  If they aren't interested in Collins, I don't exactly know where you'd turn as I don't think you trade Vaughn at this point.  So like I said, a pipe dream, but boy would he look good in the lineup.  

Realism aside, I think I'd rather have Madrigal's production at the rookie minimum for the next 3 years then have Boegarts production and his contract. Need money for RF and SP. And that is even before you talk about what other talent we would have to send. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Heck no.

Stay the course and see what we’ve got in Kopech and Vaughn. They possibly will bring 5 to 8 total annual WAR for years.

I agree completely on your take. We made trades and draft picks to build our future not trade them away for one guy. It might be fun for folks to throw out ideas but let’s be realistic 

Kopech can't be traded because he's not part of the 60 man roster. Trading him right now would also be getting the least value possible out of him anyway so it's probably not a good idea on its own.

Lynn is probably the best pitcher being dealt and I don't think I would give up Vaughn for him. I guess if they would take a couple guys that are further away like Thompson or Daulquist it could possibly get done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

We know the Sox like him, but I can’t imagine him agreeing to not opt-out. Who knows, maybe we go after him this offseason. No GM in baseball should have an easier job than Hahn.  The Sox should be set everywhere besides RF and SP.

You just managed to jinx Sox with over-optimism/irrational positivity.

Good job!