Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

Just now, Texsox said:

When will you decline mentally?

I am almost 50.  When I am probably around 80 I wont be as sharp as I am now.  I probably was a bit quicker in my early thirties than I am now.  I have a lot more experience, sure.  However there are things that are different as I age.  When I am in my late 70s I probably wont have the same memory recollection that I have now.  I wont have the same physical stamina as well.  I can see that as I age.  I used to be able to stay up all night with my work and have zero side affects the following day.  I cant do that anymore.  I cant run a mile under 6 minutes like I used to when I was 18.  Human beings are not the same as they age, and this idea that a near 80 year old has the same mental acuity and ability that a person in their prime is a falsehood.  Sure you can have all the experience in the world.  But in the end we have a peak.  And on the other side of that peak whether its physical or mental the time will come.  I have seen enough people in their late 70s and 80s and have watched a rapid decline not only in mental faculties but in their physical stature.  In the end age is not a number,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Not to discredit Tony in anyway but this guy is the future of the Sox. 

AE79F931-AA19-4FF8-B64F-E006F1AC19CC.jpeg

Well not to burst your bubble.  The only way that this happens is if Hahn truly has a say in it.  Larussa will hire his guys.  He is not here to protect the future.  He will be in here to win right away.  I would be shocked if he even knows who is here.  He might of received a dump from Duncan but that is about as far as it goes. 

Edited by southsideirish71

So is a hall of fame manager at 76 better than Renteria who will probably never manage in MLB again? Maybe and I'm leaning towards yes.

The question we will never know the answer to is he better than one of the hot names or someone we hadn't thought of?  Tonight I don't believe so. I think we could have done better. But his age is down the list of my concerns.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well not to burst your bubble.  The only way that this happens is if Hahn truly has a say in it.  Larussa will hire his guys.  He is not here to protect the future.  He will be in here to win right away.  I would be shocked if he even knows who is here.  He might of received a dump from Duncan but that is about as far as it goes. 

Oh I agree, we need to win right away but I’m talking about after La Russa is finished. 

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

What sucks is what La Russa said to Benetti. Pretty much called the Sox a “complete roster”. He either really believes that and doesn’t think we need additions or Jerry sent him the message loud and clear.

I listened to it and didn’t feel that’s what he was trying to say, in terms of no upgrades. He’s not gonna say “I’m pumped for the talent but we need someone who’s not swinging a wiffle ball bat in RF and our young pitchers to act like they have some balls”

33 minutes ago, tray said:

Age provides qualities that a lot of young people lack - experience, wisdom and good judgment, among them.  Our culture is one where young people no longer respect their elders and discount the value of their life experience.   As an older Sox fan I find many of the comments here to be closed minded, short-sighted and on some levels, offensive.  Do you also think Steve Stone lacks baseball knowledge because of his age ?

As Steve  "Mongo" McMichael once reminded a group of vegetarians  that were chiding  him about the health risks of the fast food on the menu at his restaurant:

"You're gonna die too, you know." 

How about giving the age thing a break ? 

Respect is earned, not given. Arguing otherwise is complete nonsense. 

Universal respect for people older than you was merely a power mechanism. Don't give people things they are not worthy of, and they did not earn.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

This idea that AJ Hinch is a super manager on a hall of fame path is ludicrous.  

The year they won the WS they had 6 regulars OPS over .800 plus Marwin over .900 at an almost-regular utility spot.  

They also has super Keuchel, Giles and Verlander.  

He might be a good manager but there is zero proof he is anything special and deserving of all the Monday QB takes on here

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So is a hall of fame manager at 76 better than Renteria who will probably never manage in MLB again? Maybe and I'm leaning towards yes.

The question we will never know the answer to is he better than one of the hot names or someone we hadn't thought of?  Tonight I don't believe so. I think we could have done better. But his age is down the list of my concerns.

If we only had one or two years of the window.  I might agree with you.  But this should be a sustained run.  The manager should be ready to be here for the lifetime of that sustained run.  So if you felt that there was no options then this man is a caretaker for a few years.  Then sure. But that is not the case.   And now that he is hired what level of failure would allow him to be fired.  Is he the GM behind the scenes.  Because as brilliant of a manager he has been, he has been disastrous in the front office at times.  We have finally built something that should be good for a long period of time.  I dont want to see this broken up so they can go for it for a year.  We already lived through the model of try to win the world series that year and everything else be damned.   

16 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I am almost 50.  When I am probably around 80 I wont be as sharp as I am now.  I probably was a bit quicker in my early thirties than I am now.  I have a lot more experience, sure.  However there are things that are different as I age.  When I am in my late 70s I probably wont have the same memory recollection that I have now.  I wont have the same physical stamina as well.  I can see that as I age.  I used to be able to stay up all night with my work and have zero side affects the following day.  I cant do that anymore.  I cant run a mile under 6 minutes like I used to when I was 18.  Human beings are not the same as they age, and this idea that a near 80 year old has the same mental acuity and ability that a person in their prime is a falsehood.  Sure you can have all the experience in the world.  But in the end we have a peak.  And on the other side of that peak whether its physical or mental the time will come.  I have seen enough people in their late 70s and 80s and have watched a rapid decline not only in mental faculties but in their physical stature.  In the end age is not a number,

Well said; I was speaking with my father about this today - he is 64. He is the smartest man I've ever met - I'm sure most kids say this - and I have great respect for my father. When I have a question or a concern, he is the first call I make. When I'm unsure if I'm right or wrong, same thing.

His response, "you're not the same person at 75, 70 or even my age as you were in your 50's and 40's. We're stupid enough as a country to keep electing people that are of an age that as they decline we don't even allow the press to speak of it. It's science; I hate it, I feel it everyday. It doesn't get better, but as a business owner you have a choice... of course this is Jerry we're talking about though."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

If we only had one or two years of the window.  I might agree with you.  But this should be a sustained run.  The manager should be ready to be here for the lifetime of that sustained run.  So if you felt that there was no options then this man is a caretaker for a few years.  Then sure. But that is not the case.   And now that he is hired what level of failure would allow him to be fired.  Is he the GM behind the scenes.  Because as brilliant of a manager he has been, he has been disastrous in the front office at times.  We have finally built something that should be good for a long period of time.  I dont want to see this broken up so they can go for it for a year.  We already lived through the model of try to win the world series that year and everything else be damned.   

You don't agree we could have done better?

Let the record show that Green Line, Jerksticks, ChiSox1917, brett05, IWokeUpLikeThis, tray and KnightsOnMintSt support the Tony La Russa hire.

greg775 has a throbbing time piece for this move, while RagahRagah had a great response to his “excited” post.

And the La Russa jokes in this thread have been spot on!

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

You don't agree we could have done better?

I would of liked them to have at least interviewed AJ Hinch.  There was zero rush to just flat out hire Tony.  Outside of us who was his market.  He wasnt going to go to the Tigers or the Red Sox.  There was no rush.  This seemed to me a manufactured deal to give a man JR thought he wronged a silver platter for a final championship to remember him by.  

10 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

This idea that AJ Hinch is a super manager on a hall of fame path is ludicrous.  

The year they won the WS they had 6 regulars OPS over .800 plus Marwin over .900 at an almost-regular utility spot.  

They also has super Keuchel, Giles and Verlander.  

He might be a good manager but there is zero proof he is anything special and deserving of all the Monday QB takes on here

So you're saying it would have been a reasonable step to interview him and actually consider who the best person for the job was based on their thinking about the position rather than making a decision based on the 1980s? That's a fascinating concept. I wonder if other businesses conduct these sorts of interviews for employment positions prior to hiring them. Seems like a smart way to run a business, to be frank. In fact, I wonder what type of business wouldn't conduct those sorts of interviews. Seems like it might say something poor about them, to have a potential candidate who might be pretty good quality and then just ignore him, refuse to interview or consider him, because your 1980s drinkin' buddy is available. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Really? I went back and earned a MA at 50 and felt as sharp as ever.

School has been much easier for me as an adult; that doesn't mean I'm sharper, I am just much more disciplined and it's my money lol.

My test scores have gone done (as a kid tests were a breeze and HW a drag) but my research and analysis and "homework" has improved mightily. There are pluses to maturity and aging, but there reaches a point where the negatives clearly outweigh that "experience" learned knowledge.

I like to say, most people tell you they have 20 or 30 years experience doing something but the reality is they have 1 year experience 30 times. They didn't learn or change. If you're not willing to evolve and adapt, you really never gained any experience. I'm not saying that's Tony.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well said; I was speaking with my father about this today - he is 64. He is the smartest man I've ever met - I'm sure most kids say this - and I have great respect for my father. When I have a question or a concern, he is the first call I make. When I'm unsure if I'm right or wrong, same thing.

His response, "you're not the same person at 75, 70 or even my age as you were in your 50's and 40's. We're stupid enough as a country to keep electing people that are of an age that as they decline we don't even allow the press to speak of it. It's science; I hate it, I feel it everyday. It doesn't get better, but as a business owner you have a choice... of course this is Jerry we're talking about though."

If we're saying was Tony better 10 or 20 years ago, sure he was.  I think the point that people are trying to make is there are 40 year old folks that wouldn't be as good of a manager as Tony is at 76. 

Again, I'm not saying he is a good choice. But realize were discussing one of the all time great managers in his declining years not a hack like the last couple of guys in the dugout.

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I would of liked them to have at least interviewed AJ Hinch.  There was zero rush to just flat out hire Tony.  Outside of us who was his market.  He wasnt going to go to the Tigers or the Red Sox.  There was no rush.  This seemed to me a manufactured deal to give a man JR thought he wronged a silver platter for a final championship to remember him by.  

Tony and Hahn said he turned down the other interested teams. Maybe Larussa wanted the process to finish quickly. 

I hope when Hahn and KW sit down with TLR to discuss options for the coaching staff that they suggest to TLR to look at Jirschele for Bench Coach. He can learn under a Hall of Famer, uses analytics and he already knows most of the players on the roster. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

If we're saying was Tony better 10 or 20 years ago, sure he was.  I think the point that people are trying to make is there are 40 year old folks that wouldn't be as good of a manager as Tony is at 76. 

Again, I'm not saying he is a good choice. But realize were discussing one of the all time great managers in his declining years not a hack like the last couple of guys in the dugout.

What were the things that made Ricky Renteria a hack? A refusal to listen to outside voices or information or to handle criticism well. 

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Hinch wasn't someone I wanted but I agree there were others I wish they had hired. I really wouldn't have cared if they only interviewed Alomar for example. 

A show of bringing in candidates then hiring Tony wouldn't make me feel any better about the choice. 

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I get it, and I'm just saying I never thought Tony was anything special or any good in the first place so my stance on him now is that he was a shit then, and he's shit now. I get that I am in the minority, and that is 100% OK. I know many thought Tony was a great manager; I always thought people thought that because Tony told that to anyone willing to listen.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic