Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

So folks that can  actually afford to own and operate a major market ballclub swooped in an signed Bauer.

So much for that.

Too bad, what a forminable pitcher that would been for the CWS.

CWS has got to spend some money.  Filling a need by trading the few assets they have just create holes elsewhere.

That's why organizations like LAD are consistently in the hunt.

They nuture their budding stars and spend money on vetted difference makers.

That has never been nor ever will be the Reinsdorf Doctrine.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

When you own a business, come talk to me. 

I ran businesses for ten years. When revenues went up, staff got raises to the tune of those revenue escalations. That's how good finance is supposed to work, but sadly it's not how it has worked for a while in this country leading to an immense inequality divide.

I'm not sure what owning a business has to do with analyzing revenues vs salaries. NBA, NFL and NHL all tie salaries directly to revenue growth and share. So I guess those leagues/players/agents/GM's/Owners should come talk to you because they apparently don't know how to run a business either.

Fact is, salaries should be compared to revenues. Given that revenues have gone way up, expecting salaries to follow suit is a reasonable expectation imo. Certainly not something to be "shocked by" or to ignore when discussing contract growth.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

Luba did well. Very well. Interesting to see if her client base increases this season. You know Boras is Fuming at a 45 mil season. 2/85 is pretty Bonkers. Hopefully Dodgers and Padres go several brutal 7 game series the next few years and Sox can beast on tired bullpens. 

Disagree. Boras goes for the maximum total deal. This is the structure Bauer said he wanted - shorter term, more money in those years. 

Wow, what a contract. That is some insane money. I got to be honest, that makes me feel better about not getting him. It's not that I think the money will hurt the franchise.... it's just there's no way in hell Jerry was going there. I was thinking something along the lines of 4 years 30 million ... but 2 years 85 mil with all those opt outs?

Amazing job by Luba and i'm happy for bauer, he deserves it! 

As for the Dodgers... jesus christ, what a staff. 

A dodgers overpay is honestly the only thing that would have made me not insanely mad at Jerry here. 

I'm surprised to say im OK with this. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Disagree. Boras goes for the maximum total deal. This is the structure Bauer said he wanted - shorter term, more money in those years. 

Fair enough. The economics of this could break baseball though. 50 mil per season for a player is just around the corner and i dont see how competitive baseball is possible for any team outside the top 4-5 markets going forward if multiple players opt for this short contract, high value structure. 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

It's ok everyone. We don't need a Bauer. Cease is going to storm out the gates as a #1, taking to changes immediately. Kopech won't need to be stretched out. Lopez is a great #6.

God fucking damnit Jerry.

If Jerry could not spend a dime on Q he was not spending a silver dollar on Bauer. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, knightni said:

Is David Price worth looking at now?

Boston is paying 36 mil out of the 72 mil remaining on his contract. If the Dodgers pay some cash, he may only cost the Sox like, 10 mil a season for two seasons and be the #3 guy.

Yeah that isn't a feasible proposal.

If, however, out of the kindness of his heart, David Price is willing to forego his entire existing guaranteed contract and sign a minor league deal for 1 year that tops out at 1.5m if he hits all incentives, including winning the Cy Young, then it may be something we look at.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

It's almost guaranteed he'll opt after the second year.  Unless something odd happens.

Thats the crazy part of this, if he is good it is 2-85.  If he gets hurt, say TJ and can't pitch it really becomes 2-105.  All risk by the club.  I mean good for him for getting this kinda deal.

In earlier posts, I questioned if you want Bauer sitting next to young guys you are trying to lock up long term.  How do you ask Gio to take 15-20 if his teammate makes 40-45?

• Like 1

Fuck Trevor Bauer and Fuck the Dodgers.

Time for MLB to get a grip. 

Salary caps + revenue sharing = Credibility and competitiveness.

Economic Stimulus checks are too big you say?

40 Million / $1,400 = 28,571 people

Sorry to wax about political/social ideology, but wealth inequality in this country just gets uglier every time you see something like this.

• Love 5

2 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

In earlier posts, I questioned if you want Bauer sitting next to young guys you are trying to lock up long term.  How do you ask Gio to take 15-20 if his teammate makes 40-45?

Idk the same thing you say to Clayton Kershaw who is now making ~10 mil less this season that Bauer :p.

On a side note, it looks like the Dodgers are now about Luxury Tax area with a 221ish million salary for the year.

Pretty crazy.

We definitely need a salary floor and possibly a cap. Need to redistribute the money better as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tray said:

Fuck Trevor Bauer and Fuck the Dodgers.

Time for MLB to get a grip. 

Salary caps + revenue sharing = Credibility and competitiveness.

Economic Stimulus checks are too big you say?

40 Million / $1,400 = 28,571 people

Sorry to wax about political/social ideology, but wealth inequality in this country just gets uglier every time you see something like this.

It won't matter how much jr has. He will just pocket the extra money.  Seriously fuck that guy!

• Thanks 2