Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

2 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Haaaaaaaaave you met my friend, the AL Central?

And we play the NL central in inter league and they are in schambles. Sox will get to the playoffs with what they have but they can’t win throughout unless they get some pitching depth. I am not against Cruz but if they go this route they will basically use all their money on him and will be saying we are just going to out score teams because we don’t want to overpay for these pitchers. It’s one or the other for them but it’s not both.

2 minutes ago, quickman said:

And we play the NL central in inter league and they are in schambles. Sox will get to the playoffs with what they have but they can’t win throughout unless they get some pitching depth. I am not against Cruz but if they go this route they will basically use all their money on him and will be saying we are just going to out score teams because we don’t want to overpay for these pitchers. It’s one or the other for them but it’s not both.

I don't agree. I think they have the pitchers to succeed in the playoffs. But depth could causes issues in the regular season. 

Just now, mqr said:

I don't agree. I think they have the pitchers to succeed in the playoffs. But depth could causes issues in the regular season. 

No doubt. 3 is enough and that's assuming cease and Kopech make no significant developments. Other wise they are at least 4 deep

21 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I would love a Quintana/La Stella finish to the offseason. This is a pretty damn good roster:

Lineup

1. Anderson
  2. Moncada
  3. Abreu
  4. Eloy
  5. Grandal
  6. Robert
  7. Vaughn
  8. Eaton
  9. Madrigal

Bench

1. La Stella
  2. Leury
  3. Collins
  4. Engel

Rotation

1. Giolito
  2. Lynn
  3. Keuchel
  4. Quintana
  5. Cease

Bullpen

1. Hendriks
  2. Bummer
  3. Crochet
  4. Marshall
  5. Heuer
  6. Foster
  7. Lopez
  8. Fry

Second best in the AL on paper with the potential to be the best with enough development from the young guys.

31 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I would love a Quintana/La Stella finish to the offseason. This is a pretty damn good roster:

Lineup

1. Anderson
  2. Moncada
  3. Abreu
  4. Eloy
  5. Grandal
  6. Robert
  7. Vaughn
  8. Eaton
  9. Madrigal

Bench

1. La Stella
  2. Leury
  3. Collins
  4. Engel

Rotation

1. Giolito
  2. Lynn
  3. Keuchel
  4. Quintana
  5. Cease

Bullpen

1. Hendriks
  2. Bummer
  3. Crochet
  4. Marshall
  5. Heuer
  6. Foster
  7. Lopez
  8. Fry

I agree, Id prefer the sox do something similar. Sign Quintana & La Stella or Profar and trade for Anthony Bemboom from the angels (blocked behind stassi and suzuki) for someone taking up space on the 40 man (Johnson, Collins or Sheets) or sign Avila or Flowers.

Lineup

Anderson
Moncada#
Abreu
Jimenez
Grandal#
Robert
La Stella* or Profar#
Madrigal
Eaton*

Bench

Bemboom or Avila*
Leury#
Mendick
Engel

Rotation

Giolito
Keuchel*
Lynn
Quintana*
Cease

Bullpen

Hendriks
Bummer*
Heuer
Marshall
Foster
Fry*
Cordero
Lopez

With Stiever, Lambert & Flores the first to come up in the rotation and Burdi to supplement the backend if there is an issue. If the bench needs help you've got Beckham & Collins ready as well.

FG has the sox at 41.2 fWAR second only to the yankees at 50.1; adding those 3 nets an additional 2.3+ still second but closing the gap.

30 minutes ago, longshot7 said:

Have you met the Royce Clayton v Jose Valentin discussion?

Trading Jamie Navarro for Cal Eldred and Jose Valentin has to be one of the best trades the Sox have made.  

OOFF.  Just looked up Navarro's stats.  Wow.  He was even worse than I remembered.  And I remembered him being just horrific.  

With the Sox he was 25-43 (3 years!  He lost 43 games in 3 years!) a 6.06 ERA, 102 starts, 542 innings, 1.69 WHIP, 1.3 K/BB.  Then traded him for 2 pretty valuable guys.  Hahah.

Edited by turnin' two

10 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Trading Jamie Navarro for Cal Eldred and Jose Valentin has to be one of the best trades the Sox have made.  

OOFF.  Just looked up Navarro's stats.  Wow.  He was even worse than I remembered.  And I remembered him being just horrific.  

With the Sox he was 25-43 (3 years!  He lost 43 games in 3 years!) a 6.06 ERA, 102 starts, 542 innings, 1.69 WHIP, 1.3 K/BB.  Then traded him for 2 pretty valuable guys.  Hahah.

Jaime Navarro once b****ed about run support after a game he gave up 9 runs.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Hahahaha!  "You babies can't even get me 10 runs! What's the point of pitching??!?!?!"

Yikes.  Again I used my friend Baseball reference.  I would advise all of you to never look at pitching stats for our 1999 Sox.  Holy Schnikes.  The team has 1 starter with an ERA under 5, and none with a WHIP below 1.4.  My brain must have chosen to save me from those memories.   Decent bullpen though.  Keith Foulke threw over 100 innings out of the pen!

The next year, guys named Garland and Buehrle started to cut their teeth.  

Edited by turnin' two

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And yet Ron Schueler chose him over Roger Clemens going into the 1997 year, where the Sox signed the best hitter on the market and could have dominated with a better staff (and w/o a horribly timed Ventura injury)

They need another SP for depth, but people overrate the quality of the back end of most rotations. 1-5 The Sox are currently projected as the 7th best rotation in baseball, and 2nd in the AL at half a win behind the Yankees. Looking at the rotations projected below the Sox only Cleveland's is currently one I would say is probably better with the Blue Jays, Athletics, Astros and Twins in the same range.

Edited by OmarComing25
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, shago said:

Can you see a great pre WS Game 3 segment about how Q pitched a classic game in the ALCS?

..... Yea, me neither 

To respond to this, here's a thought:

It ain't against the rules to, ya know, acquire your 3rd playoff SP at the TDL. It also ain't against the rules to see if Q or Cease or Kopech or someone else can become the 3rd playoff starter over the course of the season.

Roster construction is an ongoing art & science. Rarely are teams "finished" on January 18th. Blowing the entirety your trade or FA wad at this point doesn't seem to be the best use of resources, IMO.

Carry on, then...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OmarComing25 said:

They need another SP for depth, but people overrate the quality of the back end of most rotations. 1-5 The Sox are currently projected as the 8th best rotation in baseball, and 2nd in the AL at half a win behind the Yankees. Looking at the rotations projected below the Sox only Cleveland's is currently one I would say is probably better with the Blue Jays, Athletics, Astros and Twins in the same range.

Problem with Sox is they have paper thin depth unless a lopez turns around

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min