Folty signs with Rangers

Buehrle>Wood

If the Sox sign Bauer to 10 Mil/yr.  how would Giolito feel about pitching for less than half of that ?

He isn't a free agent until 2024, but, IMO, a multi-year extension for Giolito might make more sense than signing Bauer.

Giolito is our ace and should be paid and treated that way.  If Giolito is Cy Young material in 2021, signing him up to a long  term deal is only going to get more expensive.

1 minute ago, tray said:

If the Sox sign Bauer to 10 Mil/yr.  how would Giolito feel about pitching for less than half of that ?

He isn't a free agent until 2024, but, IMO, a multi-year extension for Giolito might make more sense than signing Bauer.

Giolito is our ace and should be paid and treated that way.  If Giolito is Cy Young material in 2021, signing him up to a long  term deal is only going to get more expensive.

Um...

22 minutes ago, tray said:

What? 

Personally, before we start paying Giolito top of the rotation free agent type money, I'd rather wait another year to see how he does over another full season. 

Edited by manbearpuig

34 minutes ago, tray said:

Unless he's getting a 25 year contract, Bauer probably isn't signing for $10mil/year.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

True especially offering a minor league deal . Some team will offer a million or 2. Folty here unlikely.

I have him penciled in as going to Tampa. Opened up 2 spots declining Morton's option and trading Snell. Can give him an MLB deal and guarantee a rotation spot day 1.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

So if we give him a minor league deal, can you vary the roster bonus? Is it a set contract?

Like could you make it where if he makes team he makes $4.5 million or something higher than another team?

Yes.  Teams can offer a minor league contract to start with a salary of X if the contract is purchased by the major league team.  This is a super typical type of deal in these situations.  The one hole is that if the contract doesn't get picked up, they don't get the major league money.  

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yes.  Teams can offer a minor league contract to start with a salary of X if the contract is purchased by the major league team.  This is a super typical type of deal in these situations.  The one hole is that if the contract doesn't get picked up, they don't get the major league money.  

Thanks, is there any “bonus” if not picked up or just being released is the benefit

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Thanks, is there any “bonus” if not picked up or just being released is the benefit

The ones I see on the regular are fixed roster dates.  For example, the players gets the option to request a release if he isn't on the MLB roster by April 1, or whatever date.  Any bonus would be something negotiated between the players/teams to meet whatever standards they agreed on.

39 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am really wanting Folty.  Sounds cheap, so a low risk-high reward.  Plus we need depth badly.

I want dudes like this every year. Doesn't always work out, most likely won't, but if he's back it completely changes things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

So if we give him a minor league deal, can you vary the roster bonus? Is it a set contract?

Like could you make it where if he makes team he makes $4.5 million or something higher than another team?

Two years ago Sox signed Ervin Santana to the exact same deal. Though I have no idea how he made the roster that year.

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes he could. They spoke to some of the other shareholders. JR has total control. If everyone wanted to sell but JR, they wouldn't get sold. Also, if JR were to die, his executor gets the same power he has.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/whitesox/ct-xpm-2013-07-28-ct-spt-0728-white-sox-chicago-sports-20130728-story.html

Thanks for posting. The article states "Jerry has virtually unfettered control", so there are restrictions, but much fewer restrictions than a typical LLCs, which the article points out.

There is a very good possibility the White Sox will suck ass for perpetuity under this scheme, if his heirs or Jerry's hand picked potential successor, Andrew Berlin, obtains control from the estate. Andrew would need to sell his shares in the Cubs to assume control of the White Sox, but it sounds like the White Sox are his for the taking, and I can't see the League turning it down with Andrew already a minority owner of at least two teams. Sounds like Kenny and Hahn may live on Jerry's plantation for life, and life will suck for White Sox fans forever and beyond.

Reminds me of this Twilight Zone episode.

16 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Thanks for posting. The article states "Jerry has virtually unfettered control", so there are restrictions, but much fewer restrictions than a typical LLCs, which the article points out.

There is a very good possibility the White Sox will suck ass for perpetuity under this scheme, if his heirs or Jerry's hand picked potential successor, Andrew Berlin, obtains control from the estate. Andrew would need to sell his shares in the Cubs to assume control of the White Sox, but it sounds like the White Sox are his for the taking, and I can't see the League turning it down with Andrew already a minority owner of at least two teams. Sounds like Kenny and Hahn may live on Jerry's plantation for life, and life will suck for White Sox fans forever and beyond.

Reminds me of this Twilight Zone episode.

That article was from 2013. I think Andrew Berlin may no longer be a shareholder. He bailed out Ricketts' renovation overruns a few years ago and purchased a share of the Cubs. It will all come down to what Michael Reinsdorf wants to do. When my old co worker was doing business with him, he seemed pretty gung ho to take over some day and wanted to do some things different than his father. But he does run the Bulls very similarly. 

The other thing is JR has been buying up shares, so that has to cost a decent amount of money. For a guy who says baseball isn't a lucrative business, I wonder where he comes up with the scratch.

Edited by Dick Allen

If Folty is available for a minor league deal, there is a reason for that. He's been pretty bad. Now they say he was at 90-92 during his workout which would be in line with a normal guy who throws 96, considering the time of year. But you know he has been ramping it up. Obviously, it makes sense to sign him if a minor league deal is all it will take, but I wouldn't expect much.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If Folty is available for a minor league deal, there is a reason for that. He's been pretty bad. Now they say he was at 90-92 during his workout which would be in line with a normal guy who throws 96, considering the time of year. But you know he has been ramping it up. Obviously, it makes sense to sign him if a minor league deal is all it will take, but I wouldn't expect much.

Folty's body was all out of whack.   Towards the end it looked like he was on death's door.  If he figured out whatever it was that was making him look so ill and has righted the ship, he's worth every bit of a contract.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm talking about the timing of it being curious, less than 2 months after he takes down an entire sports organization and while he's receiving death threats.

I think I now actually remember talking with the you about this exact topic when this happened in real time. 😆