Andrew Vaughn Hype Thread

ron883

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

Engel

58 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think it will be an Engel, Leury and maybe Lamb platoon.

I’m not digging Adam Engel as an everyday option.  I hope they’re looking outside the organization if they feel Vaughn needs more time or isn’t capable defensively in LF.

I think Vaughn would have gone down if AAA games were being played and one of the options there was tearing it up.  I think putting him in everyday in a less stressful environment would help clear his head.  Unfortunately , we can't send most of the lineup down to get clear at the same time LOL.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, quickman said:

I don’t know how the years of eligibility works but Vaughn really should go down and if he does do we get that year of eligibility back? I know someone here knows.

Not sure what you exactly mean by eligibility, but he'd have to go down for at least two weeks (could be a little bit off on the exact amount of time) to delay free agency for a year, and longer than that to delay arbitration eligibility for a year.

Of course both of those facts are dependent on the rules not changing when the next CBA is implemented.

6 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Not sure what you exactly mean by eligibility, but he'd have to go down for at least two weeks (could be a little bit off on the exact amount of time) to delay free agency for a year, and longer than that to delay arbitration eligibility for a year.

Of course both of those facts are dependent on the rules not changing when the next CBA is implemented.

Thank you that’s what I meant.

20 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Now it would be closer to six weeks given the service time he’s accrued so far this year.

53 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Now it would be closer to six weeks given the service time he’s accrued so far this year.

Not really. It is about total days of service time in that year, it doesn't matter when they send him down. 

You get a year of service time when you are up at least 172 days (of 180 something) in that year so if Vaughn is down more than 15 days or so the sox gets the extra year. 

However I don't see the sox Front office sending him down for 2 weeks. Either he turns the corner the next two weeks and he stays up or he gets send down for at least 6-8 weeks to work on his batting and fielding in AAA. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 12:04 PM, Dominikk85 said:

Doesn't mean much but spencer torkelson so far is hitless in 11 PAs with 3 walks and 5 Ks. 

Not quite comparable to Vaughn who is a year older and least had a season in A ball and a full alternate site season but so far Vaughn looks better than torkelson. 

Tork still has more raw power potential but Vaughn could have a better hit tool, he struck out less in college too (75k, 123 bb vs 104 Ks and 110 bb in about 100 less PAs for Tork). 

Even if it is still pointless and early here is another update on the torkelson Vaughn comparison:

Tork has struck out 11 times in his first 24 PAs in high A ball. 

Not saying bust yet but like in spring it looks like he is going to have a serious contact problem. 

He also walks a lot and will have power but he might be more of an Adam dunn type who hits 240 with solid obp and 35 homers and not a superstar hitter like many expected him to be. 

Vaughn meanwhile is now doing quite good. Still having a hole on pitches outside but it got better and he went the other way a few times. His K rate for the season is in the high 20s but the last two weeks it was only like 18% which I also expect going forward. 

He is hitting the ball very hard Consistently but quite a few get caught at the warning Track which should change with warmer weather. 

You can see that he isn't a monster raw power guy for a first baseman but his. 100 ISO certainly got unlucky (. 422 xSLG vs 362 SLG) and I think the way he barrels the ball he will be a 270-280 hitter with 25-30 homers and good Obp. 

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 11:16 PM, ron883 said:

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist commenting on the service time part, ray ray. Nevermind 200+ million. The Sox are reluctant to sign guys for 100mil. Being cheap wouldn't make them "more embarrassing". Everybody already knows how cheap the team is. The embarrassment is already there. 

They need to do what it takes to keep a star player under control for an extra year. It sucks, but not doing it puts them at a disadvantage. 

So far Hahn hasn't done that with Eloy or Robert (rising star players) and now we have them locked up.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I wonder when he told Vaughn this. Hit the ball hard work on getting the BA/OBP up because with his approach and power he is certainly capable of sustained offensive production that will help the team without that many HR's. Drive the ball ,get some doubles and the HR's will come.

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I wonder when he told Vaughn this. Hit the ball hard work on getting the BA/OBP up because with his approach and power he is certainly capable of sustained offensive production that will help the team without that many HR's. Drive the ball ,get some doubles and the HR's will come.

Agreed, anything from Vaughn should be considered a bonus and the fact that he looks like he belongs both in the batters box and the outfield tells me everything i need to know. The home runs will come, his approach has been great.

He is walking at a 12% clip while never playing above A+ mlb average right now is 8.93% and he is slightly below mlb average k rate 24.13 at 24.10%. Here is a comp for Vaughn if he stays in the outfield Tim Salmon with better defense.

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, beautox said:

Agreed, anything from Vaughn should be considered a bonus and the fact that he looks like he belongs both in the batters box and the outfield tells me everything i need to know. The home runs will come, his approach has been great.

He is walking at a 12% clip while never playing above A+ mlb average right now is 8.93% and he is slightly below mlb average k rate 24.13 at 24.10%. Here is a comp for Vaughn if he stays in the outfield Tim Salmon with better defense.

Thank you . I am very far though from having an opinion on his defense.  All I can say is he hasn't hurt the Sox so far but the more he plays the OF that will come as it  does for even the best OFer's. I would imagine he will below average or even well below average in the OF just based on sprint speed, which will limit the amount of good plays he can make and those will pile up as he plays more and more. My hope is that he plays the majority of his career where he belongs  at 1st base. It's nice that in extreme circumstances he has been versatile enough to cover LF .

April numbers: .255/.364/.362, 12.7% BB%, 30.9 K%, .106 ISO, .400 BABIP, 115 wRC+

May numbers: .276/.405/.448, 16.2% BB%, 13.5% K%, .172 ISO, .292 BABIP, 147 wRC+

He's also increased his contact rate from 65% to 77%. Not only has he cut his strikeout rate by more than half, but he's no longer reliant on a high BABIP to fuel most of his line and he's hitting the ball harder as well. His improvement in just a month is already so impressive.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Fire 2

21 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

April numbers: .255/.364/.362, 12.7% BB%, 30.9 K%, .106 ISO, .400 BABIP, 115 wRC+

May numbers: .276/.405/.448, 16.2% BB%, 13.5% K%, .172 ISO, .292 BABIP, 147 wRC+

He's also increased his contact rate from 65% to 77%. Not only has he cut his strikeout rate by more than half, but he's no longer reliant on a high BABIP to fuel most of his line and he's hitting the ball harder as well. His improvement in just a month is already so impressive.

I would like to subscribe to the omarcoming newsletter

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Vaughn should be batting second everyday from now on...

Anderson

Vaughn

Moncada

Abreu

Mercedes

Grandal

Eaton

Hamilton

Madrigal

I'd bump Moncada back to 2 with Abreu, Yermin, then Vaughn 3-4-5 before putting Vaughn 2nd.  Don't want the added pressure just as he's starting to produce.  2 spot definitely needs better production though.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:56 AM, Tnetennba said:

I'd bump Moncada back to 2 with Abreu, Yermin, then Vaughn 3-4-5 before putting Vaughn 2nd.  Don't want the added pressure just as he's starting to produce.  2 spot definitely needs better production though.

The only other guy who I want batting second is Grandal. He gets on base, he sees a lot of pitches and would create RBI opportunities for the middle of the order.