Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

What if the Sox are working on getting Gallen and Escobar? Now that would be cool !

There was the old Gallen for Madrigal talk before even if it was made up.

Maybe the Sox want to see how Gallen pitches today after coming off the IL for a partial UCL tear. That's not good. Tommy John surgery in his future would reduce the price for him. He also had a hairline stress fracture in his throwing arm during spring training.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

28 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Typically this is how it goes:

All the main newsbreaker types have access to the league office.  Usually things are pretty quiet until the papers get sent into the office.  Then, everyone starts to know at once, and that's when the local beat guy and preferred writer types are likely to get the extra scoop, because the papers are already in and everyone already is going to know.  This obviously isn't finalized.  The papers aren't in otherwise as is typical, all the big baseball writers would be all over it.

Secondly, the Sox aren't the only team bidding on Escobar.  The DBacks also aren't out to make the Sox better, they are out to improve their own team.  Typically, when a deal is close, the trading club will call the other bidders and ask them to submit final offers.  Again, here is a point where other writers start chiming in.  Other teams' writers start saying they think they will or won't get a guy, etc.  We aren't there yet either.

This is a Boob plant IMO.  IMO what makes the most sense is that it's probably a comment designed to get other teams to up their offers to AZ, which actually hurts the Sox.  So fuck Bob.

To me, this feels like the Sox paying in advance for future leaks.  They do this from time to time so that Bob has some level of credibility, at least when it comes to the Sox.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

:bang

So what about what I wrote is wrong/inaccurate?  All of this kind of stuff has been published before.

I don't see how the Sox could/would be operating in stealth Danks-for-McCarthy / Sergio Santos-for-Nestor Molina stealth mode here, where both teams keep things quiet on purpose in order to get the guy they really want.

The DBacks are an obvious seller and Escobar is obviously a trade chip.  There's no reason for the DBacks to be stealthy about much of anything.  They should absolutely be shopping their players to all bidders, and as such, other people should be onto it.

Also, Escobar's deal isn't even bad.  There's no need to dump that off for nothing.  Now if Soria and/or Calhoun are coming with him maybe that's different.

I don't buy this that all.  Even in spite of your emoji.

Maybe the Sox will ultimately get Escobar, and I hope they do.  But if it's really that close to being done, there should be a lot more out there than just some accusations by Nightengale.  

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To me, this feels like the Sox paying in advance for future leaks.  They do this from time to time so that Bob has some level of credibility, at least when it comes to the Sox.

I was thinking about these scenarios:

-Sox are trying to put pressure on PIT or some other team to get serious about their 2B because the Sox are willing to pay the price on Escobar

-Nightengale is doing AZ a favor and letting other teams know that AZ is prepared to move Escobar to CHW very soon if other teams don't get serious about him

-Bob is doing AZ a favor and letting other teams know that they need to put in final offers

All that makes sense to me.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The prospect price for 3 months of Escobar should be low. It is all about how much money the Sox are willing to take on.

Those numbers are really good for a 2B though.  He's on fire and is in full rebound-from-last year mode.  He also has a track record and is still at an age where you're not looking at his production as a fluke.  I mean let's be real, he's a good player.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Not sure I’ve seen this before from a baseball writer. How bizarre.

I was gonna say the same thing. It's so strange it feels almost like he's bitter and trying to show someone up... somehow. He appears to be clearly forcing it into paragraphs where it doesn't belong.

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

I was gonna say the same thing. It's so strange it feels almost like he's bitter and trying to show someone up... somehow. He appears to be clearly forcing it into paragraphs where it doesn't belong.

I was thinking that too.  Didn't the Sox side bash Nightengale pretty bad over the Machado pursuit?  I was wondering if maybe he's playing a bit of the scorned lover role and trying to spill some beans to get back at the Sox.  It's a long shot but I think it's pretty unprofessional writing, as been stated here in this thread and all over his twitter feed.

2 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I was thinking that too.  Didn't the Sox side bash Nightengale pretty bad over the Machado pursuit?  I was wondering if maybe he's playing a bit of the scorned lover role and trying to spill some beans to get back at the Sox.  It's a long shot but I think it's pretty unprofessional writing, as been stated here in this thread and all over his twitter feed.

It definitely has a "petty" feel like that.

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Typically this is how it goes:

All the main newsbreaker types have access to the league office.  Usually things are pretty quiet until the papers get sent into the office.  Then, everyone starts to know at once, and that's when the local beat guy and preferred writer types are likely to get the extra scoop, because the papers are already in and everyone already is going to know.  This obviously isn't finalized.  The papers aren't in otherwise as is typical, all the big baseball writers would be all over it.

Secondly, the Sox aren't the only team bidding on Escobar.  The DBacks also aren't out to make the Sox better, they are out to improve their own team.  Typically, when a deal is close, the trading club will call the other bidders and ask them to submit final offers.  Again, here is a point where other writers start chiming in.  Other teams' writers start saying they think they will or won't get a guy, etc.  We aren't there yet either.

This is a Boob plant IMO.  IMO what makes the most sense is that it's probably a comment designed to get other teams to up their offers to AZ, which actually hurts the Sox.  So fuck Bob.

I admire the work you did to find a reason to be upset here. That is commitment. 

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Bob shouldn't have put this out there unless the deal was going to happen before the Sox and DBacks both play. It isn't fair to EE for sure to be held in limbo through the media. 

This is why I think it came from escobars camp. I think it’s likely he was told he’s leaving so at least one part of deal is agreed to.

21 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Those numbers are really good for a 2B though.  He's on fire and is in full rebound-from-last year mode.  He also has a track record and is still at an age where you're not looking at his production as a fluke.  I mean let's be real, he's a good player.

Even with the HRs, his numbers were around league average and he has 3 months of control. He’s a good get, but not a guy that is going to make some team give up a really good prospect, and eat all the money even if his salary is pretty reasonable, especially with the owners crying poor. The Sox had to eat most of Ray Durhams contract for the Jon Adkins. The sooner the DBacks trade Escobar, the sooner they have to stop paying him which is going to be their biggest trade reward. Making a team take another contract can work as well, but they need to be careful. Waiting until the deadline is only going to cost them money.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is why I think it came from escobars camp. I think it’s likely he was told he’s leaving so at least one part of deal is agreed to.

That's a fair point. I just find it odd a player's camp would leak it. I wouldn't be shocked if Arizona FO leaked it to get a bidding war going on. 

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic