7/19 - Twins @ Sox Game 2 "He is Risen: The Return of Reynaldo"

KrankinSox

3 minutes ago, EloyRedGloveSWAG said:

Didn't say that one AB was the reason he shouldn't be traded... I think he's good overall based on what I've seen from him. He's had good at-bats. He's made good contact, even on PA where he made outs. He's showcased big power with five impressive home runs. He's a left-handed hitter. They need a couple of good left-handed hitters. Doesn't make sense to consider trading Sheets.

Sheets has no where to play in Chicago for years with a healthy roster, that's why.

He can't play RF.

DH is full.

1B is full.

His MiLB numbers are no where near what he is doing now.

Sure he is off to a great start, but because he can't defend a useful position he has no future here unless Eloy kills himself again.Β 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And one thing we know about major league baseball is that players who get off to hot starts never get exposed after small sample sizes.

Better to have a really good SSS than a bad one. We are already getting clues on what opposing pitchers are going to do with Sheets. He can crush FB low or high. He'll get curved until he proves he can prove he can get under them or drive them the other way instead of getting on top of them and grounding out.

Burger they are going up and in on him with the fast ball and the usual sliders away that all RH hitters have to face.

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sheets has no where to play in Chicago for years with a healthy roster, that's why.

He can't play RF.

DH is full.

1B is full.

His MiLB numbers are no where near what he is doing now.

Sure he is off to a great start, but because he can't defend a useful position he has no future here unless Eloy kills himself again.Β 

Blows my mind that some of our fans still believe:

1. Players will never get hurt

2. There's no such thing as a bench player.

Sheets has the potential to believe a LH power bat who can be a passable backup at 1B and corner OF, plus an option at DH and pinch hit. Saying he has no future here is pretty hyperbolic. If he can hit, he'll have a role

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Sheets has the potential to believe a LH power bat who can be a passable backup at 1B and corner OF, plus an option at DH and pinch hit. Saying he has no future here is pretty hyperbolic. If he can hit, he'll have a role

100% agree.

7 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Yea I'm starting to think that you give Sheets some solid run until Eloy and Robert get back and if he shows he can hit consistently and more important hit for power then you keep him. The left handed bat is a huge plus.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

The Sox have two really good 1B on the roster, plus a couple of other passable ones.Β  He isn't starting over Abreu. Vaughn is also ahead of him there.Β  You still have guys like Collins and Grandal who can play over there.

The Sox have a roster full of DHs.Β Β 

Gavin Sheets has not shown that he can play as passable OF, unless you also consider Daniel Palka a passable OF.

A guy like Burger is going to be more of a roster option as he can at least play 3rd.

The Sox still have to figure out how to roster Eloy, Robert, and Grandal for sure. Jake Lamb might be coming back as he is on rehab.

It's a numbers game.

19 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

We would have killed to have someone like Sheets as a DH last year. Now apparently there's nowhere to put him.Β 

4 minutes ago, Backwash07 said:

Anyone know the answer of last time sox had a walk off against a starting pitcher? Β Obviously weird circumstance tonight, but I bet it’s been a while.Β 

I believe I saw it in a tweet tonight, Carlos Quentin off John Lackey in '08.

16 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We would have killed to have someone like Sheets as a DH last year. Now apparently there's nowhere to put him.Β 

With 13 position players

C Grandal/Collins (Zavala until Yas)

1B Abreu

2B Mendick/Garcia

SS TA

3B Moncada

LF Vaughn

CF Robert/HamiltonΒ 

RF Engel

DH Eloy

Β I see zero question about the top 12.Β 

At that point you need someone else who play D. My guess is with Eloy on the roster, they keep another IF in either Lamb or Burger. You also still have Goodwin as a possibility.Β 

This is also without the Sox adding any position players in trades.

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox have two really good 1B on the roster, plus a couple of other passable ones.Β  He isn't starting over Abreu. Vaughn is also ahead of him there.

Wait, how is 5'10" Andrew Vaughn a better fit at 1st than 6'5" Gavin Sheets? (Yeah, Vaughn's listed as 6', but in person he looks to be only 5'10".)

That is, unless Sheets is a complete butcher...

If (and yes, that's a big "if") both Vaughn'sΒ and Sheets' bats play, couldn't Vaughn play a corner OF, while Sheets play some @ 1st?

Β 

In any case, I'd prefer to not deal either of Burger or Sheets until the offseason, unless some other GM loses their damn fool minds & sends a Gallo-level player in return.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With 13 position players

C Grandal/Collins (Zavala until Yas)

1B Abreu

2B Mendick/Garcia

SS TA

3B Moncada

LF Vaughn

CF Robert/HamiltonΒ 

RF Engel

DH Eloy

Β I see zero question about the top 12.Β 

At that point you need someone else who play D. My guess is with Eloy on the roster, they keep another IF in either Lamb or Burger. You also still have Goodwin as a possibility.Β 

I question Hamilton. Β Give me Goodwin and Sheets as the last two. I could see Lamb instead of Sheets. Then rosters expand in September, bring back either Burger or Mendick.

Next year, Leury, Lamb, Hamilton, Goodwin are all FA’s. Β Plenty of room for Sheets on that team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

I question Hamilton. Β Give me Goodwin and Sheets as the last two. I could see Lamb instead of Sheets. Then rosters expand in September, bring back either Burger or Mendick.

Next year, Leury, Lamb, Hamilton, Goodwin are all FA’s. Β Plenty of room for Sheets on that team.

The Sox are absolutely going to keep Hamilton around as their professional PR and defensive replacement for the playoffs.Β Β 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox are absolutely going to keep Hamilton around as their professional PR and defensive replacement for the playoffs.Β Β 

I agree.Β  He brings that to the table and no one else does.Β 

Either Sheets or Lamb does as well for LH power.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the Sox will go with 14 in the playoffs, two more than now (1 less starter, 1 less reliever), though Tony may stick with 9 relievers, even with the three hitter rule.

Hamilton is a lock regardless. Think Tony is going to want Lamb as a veteran off the bench.Β  YM, TA, LG, DM, JA (INF). YG ZC (C) AE EJ LR AV make 13, leaving room for Sheets or Burger if they go 14. (assuming all are healthy/no acquisitions).

Β 

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Pretty sure the Sox will go with 14 in the playoffs, two more than now (1 less starter, 1 less reliever), though Tony may stick with 9 relievers, even with the three hitter rule.

Hamilton is a lock regardless. Think Tony is going to want Lamb as a veteran off the bench.Β  YM, TA, LG, DM, JA (INF). YG ZC (C) AE EJ LR AV make 13, leaving room for Sheets or Burger if they go 14. (assuming all are healthy/no acquisitions).

Β 

So drop Cease or Keuchel?Β 

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So drop Cease or Keuchel?Β 

Long way before they need to commit. Neither may make it with Kopech available.Β 

Keuchel is a good #4/#5 innings eater during the year, but I don’t believe he is a quality option against playoff quality offensesΒ at this stage of his career.

Cease may not have the mental makeup at this stage, they passed on him last year when they were desperate for a #3Β starter. CeaseΒ has improved this season, but needs to improve moreΒ to have Tony/Hahn’s confidence, IMO.Β 

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Β 

I think this is how they'll approach the deadline and playoffs provided everyone is healthy.

Β 

Post Season Roster

DH - Eloy
C - Grandal#
1B - Abreu
2B - Escobar# or Frazier*
SS - Anderson
3B - Moncada#
LF - Vaughn
CF - Robert
RF - Sheets*

C - Collins*
UT - Garcia#
UT - Lamb*
OF - HamiltonΒ or Goodwin*
OF - Engel

SP - Rodon*
SP - Lynn
SP - Giolito
SP - Cease

CL - Hendriks
SU - Kopech
SU - Bummer*
SU - Heuer
MR - Crochet*
MR - Burr
MR - Ruiz
LR - Keuchel*

Depending on the capital required to get Frazier; I'm more inclined to believe Escobar is coming home and possibly getting a reliever. Sox would appear to be willing to let Engel back up Sheets and let Engel and Hamilton be the late inningΒ defensive replacements.Β 

• Like 1

TRADE THEM ALL!!!!!! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ