Rick Hahn 2021 End of Season Press Conference

South Side Hit Men

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

When pitchers can't throw breaking pitches because the catcher cannot handle them it becomes an issue. 

Not to mention FIP only cares about plays.  So when a play isn't made with 2 outs, and then a three run homer is hit, FIP doesn't care.  It is expected ER because it is a homer.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not to mention FIP only cares about plays.  So when a play isn't made with 2 outs, and then a three run homer is hit, FIP doesn't care.  It is expected ER because it is a homer.

Craig Kimbrel shouldn’t be so bad at his job that things cascade like that. For this pitcher, I expected better.

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

When pitchers can't throw breaking pitches because the catcher cannot handle them it becomes an issue. 

I saw that in August and it did matter at that time, but then by the time the season was over he was throwing his breaking ball as much or more than he did with the Cubs and it just stopped being effective.

815B39BD-B1F7-4773-8B1F-8FB5BE56201A.jpeg

Day Ten since the end of the White Sox season.

Locked On Sox discussed Hahn's lack of a year-end press conference to date. Chris was told the press conference would take place early this week, which has come and gone.

14:50 mark

Herb's speculation is a possible late Friday bury the news call. Chris thinks they are taking a deep look at their roster and coaching staff, and what this organization is lacking in terms of metrics, defensive alignment and other tangible factors they need to fix. Chris also speculates of the firing of DBo due to atrocious OF play.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Locked On Sox discussed Hahn's lack of a year-end press conference to date. Chris was told the press conference would take place early this week, which has come and gone.

Herb's speculation is a possible late Friday bury the news call. Chris thinks they are taking a deep look at their roster and coaching staff, and what this organization is lacking in terms of metrics, defensive alignment and other tangible factors they need to fix. Chris also speculates of the firing of DBo due to atrocious OF play.

I am not sure why you are so upset about this.  One of two things is going to happen.  Either they are waiting because Rick Hahn is leaving the organization, or they will have it soon enough.  Either way, the Sox aren't a team that advertises the step by step of these kinds of things, so pull your undies out of your rear end and relax.  It will happen soon enough, and you will have a new list of things to be mad about.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am not sure why you are so upset about this.  One of two things is going to happen.  Either they are waiting because Rick Hahn is leaving the organization, or they will have it soon enough.  Either way, the Sox aren't a team that advertises the step by step of these kinds of things, so pull your undies out of your rear end and relax.  It will happen soon enough, and you will have a new list of things to be mad about.

WTF? What gives any indication I'm "upset"? Just tracking it, find it odd it hasn't happened.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

IF La Russa is back (seems so) and the looming CBA negotiations coming...I really don't see the end of season presser being even important. what are they gonna say that fans don't already know? 

You do it anyway so that you get a nice big article spread in the papers and maybe a shot on the news or social media for publicity, and because it’s very nice to the writers who support your business all year to give them that content.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If D Bo is sent packing, LaRussa lackey Dave McKay would probably get the job as he has been a 1st base coach /OF instructor for LaRussa back in the day. He also would be awesome because he co-authored a proper weight training book with Jose Canseco. 

21 hours ago, tray said:

I would tell Hahn GFY and get anther GM, Then let that GM hire a new Manager subject to owbership approval.

As far as Hunch he can GFH as well.

RaBBit: 

Yes, in fact, Hinch absolutely knew about the cheating. That was the finding of the Commissioner.

"Hinch attempted to signal his disapproval of the
scheme by physically damaging the monitor on two occasions, necessitating its
replacement. However, Hinch admits he did not stop it and he did not notify players or
Cora that he disapproved of it, even after the Red Sox were disciplined in September 2017.
Similarly, he knew of and did not stop the communication of sign information from the
replay review room, although he disagreed with this practice as well and specifically voiced
his concerns on at least one occasion about the use of the replay phone for this purpose.
As the person with responsibility for managing his players and coaches, there simply is no
justification for Hinch’s failure to act. If Hinch was unsure about how to handle the
situation, it was his responsibility to bring the issue to the attention of Luhnow. Hinch
expressed much contrition both to me and my investigators for allowing the conduct to
continue. Although I appreciate Hinch’s remorsefulness, I must hold him accountable for
the conduct of his team, particularly since he had full knowledge of the conduct and  chose to allow it to continue throughout the 2017 Postseason."

Manfred considered banning Hinch from baseball, and IMO he should have. The conduct that he knew about was on par or perhaps worse than what the 1919 WSox did.

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2020/1/13/21064270/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfreds-full-statement-on-the-houston-astros-sign-stealing-investigation a

I never said anything to the contrary of this. 

"Even though the story is Hinch hated the cheating in Houston and was against it I do think he should be held responsible."

17 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

The funny thing is,  I said "Jerry was to blame" and he goes on to say my comment was "patently false", then he goes to great lengths to say it was Jerry's fault.  Then he agree's with my comment  that Hahn wanted Hinch "Hahn may have wanted to hire Hinch and might have given Hinch the indication that he was the top candidate".  

We also saw Hinch's signature on the Tony LaRussa welcome the new Sox manager post, so that leads me to believe Hahn's mind was set on Hinch.  Anyway it's all water under the bridge, Jerry, Tony and Kenny aren't going anywhere soon.  Once they do we can only pray for an owner that want's to win at all cost.

I bolded the part of your post I was responding to. What you said about JR was not what I bolded. What I said was true. Believe me or don't I don't care. See your quote below:

"but this is also on Hahn who I believe came to the Hinch conclusion too soon instead of taking the time to interview the field as Balta1701 said earlier."

I responded to your quote above. It is wrong. Whether Hahn was dead set on hiring Hinch or not, I don't know. But Hahn and Haber had over a dozen candidates they were going to interview. They looked at the managerial search as a way to learn about the league and learn about what other clubhouses were doing. Reinsdrof didn't allow it because he was set on LaRussa as soon as LaRussa gave an indication that he was willing to come out of retirement. So your statement was and is wrong. You were just piggybacking Balta conjecture that was said without any evidence. 

For shits & giggles, but if Hahn were to leave does KW take over as the main day-to-day guy in the front office this offseason?  If so, do things actually change with him taking on a more hands-on role?  KW was incredibly aggressive as a GM, so just kind of fun to think how things might be different if he’s the one manning the phones.

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I think Hahn is just waiting until they are done evaluating the team and the organization. Nothing to lose sleep over.

"evaluating the team" is a perpetual process.  They have had an idea of what they want to do for quite a while now, along with iterations of that plan based on changes in who is willing to come, what they would cost, etc. 

That being said, it is all irrelevant to a post season presser, as Rick Hahn isn't going to tell us what his plan is anyway.  He is going to lawyer speak his way around for an hour, and say a lot of words without saying anything really important at all.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For shits & giggles, but if Hahn were to leave does KW take over as the main day-to-day guy in the front office this offseason?  If so, do things actually change with him taking on a more hands-on role?  KW was incredibly aggressive as a GM, so just kind of fun to think how things might be different if he’s the one manning the phones.

The scariest thing of all is TLR assuming a more official front office role.

Let me save you some time:

Rick Hahn: It was a wonderful and exciting year but it didn't end the way we wanted it to. Our goal is to win the the world series every year. I'm proud of the the team, the way they fought, how they played together as one family, and overcame the numerous injuries that plagued us. But we didn't get it done, no excuses. We will evaluate what changes need to be made and make them. You fans were awesome. I can't wait to get going next year so exciting for the future...blah, blah, blah

39 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What does “evaluating the team” mean in this context and why does it take so long?

33 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

"evaluating the team" is a perpetual process.  They have had an idea of what they want to do for quite a while now, along with iterations of that plan based on changes in who is willing to come, what they would cost, etc. 

That being said, it is all irrelevant to a post season presser, as Rick Hahn isn't going to tell us what his plan is anyway.  He is going to lawyer speak his way around for an hour, and say a lot of words without saying anything really important at all.

I think it’s more in the context of the team that was assembled this year but you guys are probably correct. He’s not going to really tell us his plans for 2022, etc.

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I don't know why anyone is anxious to hear RH with a press conference. You will realize when he is done, that he told you nothing . He is the master at it. I've never heard anyone better. 

I don’t care what he says. What I do care about is if there are any major announcements like a coach leaving, which is what we got last year when they waited a long time to have the wrap up.

• Thanks 1

Just now, fathom said:

I don’t care what he says. What I do care about is if there are any major announcements like a coach leaving, which is what we got last year when they waited a long time to have the wrap up.

A coach leaving is a big deal? If the hitting coaches left, so what? And if they want to blame Daryl Boston for Eloy not being an elite defender, fine. You'll get Dave McKay. They aren't going to get rid of anyone who made much of a difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

A coach leaving is a big deal? If the hitting coaches left, so what? And if they want to blame Daryl Boston for Eloy not being an elite defender, fine. You'll get Dave McKay. They aren't going to get rid of anyone who made much of a difference.

I’ve speculated for a month now that I could see Hahn leaving (not sourced at all)

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ve speculated for a month now that I could see Hahn leaving (not sourced at all)

I think there is a better chance of TA catching than Hahn leaving. Why would he leave just as the rebuild is over? Maybe he doesn't have enough power, but he never did, and never left. And really who is going to hire him and give him total control? It wouldn't be based on winning.

KW leaving could be a different story. His wife quit the local news. Maybe they want to retire and enjoy life. But I don't know why he would walk away when he must feel the team is on the cusp.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2