Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

image.png

unicorns farting rainbows are not allowed here. 

Like I'm totally cool with talking about realistic options, like maybe Soler/Villar, or Pineda/Smyly but I think where the Sox payroll is at they're not going to be major players in FA. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I still think the Sox can make a good deal with the Mets. They have 5 or 6 good prospects and need to rid themselves of the Cano contract .

Cano contract is $24M but $20,250M adjusted against the Luxury Tax and the same for 2023.

Keuchel is $18M

Kimbrel $16M

Nimmo is $6M and he's a Free Agent Next year

McNeil is 30 yrs old $2.5M and isn't a free agent til 2025

Catcher Thomas Nido is 28YO $1M for 2022 not a free agent til 2025

Then the Mets have some really good prospects between AA and AAA Francisco Alvarez C AA, Ronny Mauricio SS AA, Brett Baty 3B AA, Mark Vientos 3B/LF AAA  https://www.si.com/mlb/mets/news/these-5-mets-prospects-made-the-athletics-top-100-list

The Mets want to shed salary and the Sox have some room but how much they are willing to spend is unknown

The Sox could take on Cano's salary while giving up Keuchel or Kimbrel. That saves the Mets between$2-$4M against the CBT for 22. If they give up Nimmo that's another $6M If they Add Nido that's another $1M. Mets could replace Nido with Collins

Taking on Nimmo,Cano, and Nido contracts only adds between $9-11M to the Sox payroll for 2022 LH RF is solved for 1 year so then there's the matter of being compensated for that extra year of Cano for 2023. That's where either McNeil or a real nice prospect like Mauricio fits in.McNeil is a nice fit for us but is 30 but saves the Mets another $2.5M this year. But would they give up 2 LH guys who are expected to play key roles ? Doubtful. I'm thinking a top prospect like Mauricio is better payment for that extra year of Cano.

So it basically ends of being Keuchel or Kimbrel and Collins for Nimmo, Nido, Cano and Mauricio. Looking at it the Sox get the best player in Nimmo but only for a year, take on a bad contract and get rid of one of our bad contracts. The Sox get a great prospect while the Mets save money this year and next year without the Cano contract, lots of years with Collins and get either their choice of Kimbrel or Keuchel for only 1 yr.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I still think the Sox can make a good deal with the Mets. They have 5 or 6 good prospects and need to rid themselves of the Cano contract .

Cano contract is $24M but $20,250M adjusted against the Luxury Tax and the same for 2023.

Keuchel is $18M

Kimbrel $16M

Nimmo is $6M and he's a Free Agent Next year

McNeil is 30 yrs old $2.5M and isn't a free agent til 2025

Catcher Thomas Nido is 28YO $1M for 2022 not a free agent til 2025

Then the Mets have some really good prospects between AA and AAA Francisco Alvarez C AA, Ronny Mauricio SS AA, Brett Baty 3B AA, Mark Vientos 3B/LF AAA  https://www.si.com/mlb/mets/news/these-5-mets-prospects-made-the-athletics-top-100-list

The Mets want to shed salary and the Sox have some room but how much they are willing to spend is unknown

The Sox could take on Cano's salary while giving up Keuchel or Kimbrel. That saves the Mets between$2-$4M against the CBT for 22. If they give up Nimmo that's another $6M If they Add Nido that's another $1M. Mets could replace Nido with Collins

Taking on Nimmo,Cano, and Nido contracts only adds between $9-11M to the Sox payroll for 2022 LH RF is solved for 1 year so then there's the matter of being compensated for that extra year of Cano for 2023. That's where either McNeil or a real nice prospect like Mauricio fits in.McNeil is a nice fit for us but is 30 but saves the Mets another $2.5M this year. But would they give up 2 LH guys who are expected to play key roles ? Doubtful. I'm thinking a top prospect like Mauricio is better payment for that extra year of Cano.

So it basically ends of being Keuchel or Kimbrel and Collins for Nimmo, Nido, Cano and Mauricio. Looking at it the Sox get the best player in Nimmo but only for a year, take on a bad contract and get rid of one of our bad contracts. The Sox get a great prospect while the Mets save money this year and next year without the Cano contract, lots of years with Collins and get either their choice of Kimbrel or Keuchel for only 1 yr.

This is a really creative idea that would never actually happen. Props to you though. 

45 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I expected them to be non-committal. Something like "we'll see" or a non-answer answer. 

"Yes" sounds like  they can't move him. 

Everything coming out of Sox camp signals no major FA signings or trades. Maybe someone like Pineda or Smyly. 

Rub.One.Out…all will be better

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Except other than Story moving off his position, there's no real difference maker at second.  Which is why you see all these trade suggestions for Ketel Marte...

But I guess Ketel Marte either doesn't or can't play 2B anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rub.One.Out…all will be better

Ok I will entertain with you guys now. 

Just go get Conforto and a SP. 

If they have money left, Villar isn't a bad option for 2B. 

I couldn't care less whether or not Kimbrel is on the team. It's sunk cost at this point. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

31 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

From the GM on down through the coaching staff is going to say the team is on the field….until it’s not. They aren’t going to insinuate that a certain player will not be there or not in their plans that is currently on their roster

The way you phrase it is “we are happy with the guys we have, we think guys like him will fill big roles for us this year, but I know Rick Hahn is always going to be open if he has a way to improve the team”. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The way you phrase it is “we are happy with the guys we have, we think guys like him will fill big roles for us this year, but I know Rick Hahn is always going to be open if he has a way to improve the team”. 

Hello, exactly

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is a really creative idea that would never actually happen. Props to you though. 

Depends on how badly the Mets want to save money. Giving up on 1 yr of Nimmo isn't so bad along with a top prospect when they have lots of them. They want to win now too but need salary room .Saving money this year and next year would be huge for them especially next yr without Cano or the choice of Keuchel and Kimbrel.

Plus I like the Nimmo. Nido, Cano and Mauricio all end with O. O what a good trade  ! ;)

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

i know Simmons bat sucks, but for 5-6 mil (cubs gave him 4), that defense up the middle would have been insane. Outside of that, the options on market are brutal, and Kimbrel trading for a 2B is not an ideal use of funds. Really trying to understand what they could get and why RF isn't priority right now.