Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The way you phrase it is “we are happy with the guys we have, we think guys like him will fill big roles for us this year, but I know Rick Hahn is always going to be open if he has a way to improve the team”. 

Or…and I can’t stress this enough…who the hell cares.  What he says means absolutely nothing as to whether Kimbrel is on the roster or not.  

Looking more and more like SP help when it comes, will be in a trade.

I already solved RF  for a yr. backup catcher and upgraded the farm by trading with the Mets without giving up anything but Keuchel and Collins and taking on Cano's contract. Still have good bullet's left for a SP trade.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

37 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

As much as Conforto is a great fit, if the choice is him or a really good 2B, the 2B is my choice. Strong up the middle is nice. I also see no way Leury could play 150 games 

2B is such an easy position to fill that’s usually not worth investing heavily into.  Regardless, what quality free agents even are left?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

2B is such an easy position to fill that’s usually not worth investing heavily into.  Regardless, what quality free agents even are left?

I've heard that but it seems the Sox have had a tough time. The Braves won the WS trading for underperforming OF.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I've heard that but it seems the Sox have had a tough time. The Braves won the WS trading for underperforming OF.

But the thing about trading for under performing but usually solid guys who have a bad 1st half is that they usually have good 2nd halves of the season. It's the nature of the game. Good 1st half ,bad 2nd half and vice versa when you are talking about aging or usually solid but unspectacular players.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If I had to say which position is more important for adding a warm body, it’s probably 2nd base rather than RF. The Vaughn/Sheets/Engel setup isn’t good, but compared to Leury starting with his (and Anderson/Moncada’s) injury history and unable to be used in his proper utility role? With only really Romy as a backup? That just seems untenable.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If I had to say which position is more important for adding a warm body, it’s probably 2nd base rather than RF. The Vaughn/Sheets/Engel setup isn’t good, but compared to Leury starting with his (and Anderson/Moncada’s) injury history and unable to be used in his proper utility role? With only really Romy as a backup? That just seems untenable.

Brad Miller will probably cost $3M.  He’s put up a 123 or better wRC+ for three straight years.  He’s also been an average or above fielder at 2B per OAA during the time.  Have him the strong side of a 2B platoon with Leury and go get a real RF.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But the thing about trading for under performing but usually solid guys who have a bad 1st half is that they usually have good 2nd halves of the season. It's the nature of the game. Good 1st half ,bad 2nd half and vice versa when you are talking about aging or usually solid but unspectacular players.

Then there should be plenty available for next to nothing during the season.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Brad Miller will probably cost $3M.  He’s put up a 123 or better wRC+ for three straight years.  He’s also been an average or above fielder at 2B per OAA during the time.  Have him the strong side of a 2B platoon with Leury and go get a real RF.

Fine by me, just give me someone before there’s no one left?

Free agent 2B's:

Second Basemen

Hanser Alberto (29)
Matt Carpenter (36)
Brandon Drury (29)
Marwin Gonzalez (33)
Josh Harrison (34)
Jose Iglesias (32)
Jed Lowrie (38)
Chris Owings (30)
Joe Panik (31)
Eric Sogard (36)
Donovan Solano (34)
Pat Valaika (29)

6 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

Free agent 2B's:

Second Basemen

Hanser Alberto (29)
Matt Carpenter (36)
Brandon Drury (29)
Marwin Gonzalez (33)
Josh Harrison (34)
Jose Iglesias (32)
Jed Lowrie (38)
Chris Owings (30)
Joe Panik (31)
Eric Sogard (36)
Donovan Solano (34)
Pat Valaika (29)

It’s almost like we shouldn’t have traded ours for a shitty reliever. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

Free agent 2B's:

Second Basemen

Hanser Alberto (29)
Matt Carpenter (36)
Brandon Drury (29)
Marwin Gonzalez (33)
Josh Harrison (34)
Jose Iglesias (32)
Jed Lowrie (38)
Chris Owings (30)
Joe Panik (31)
Eric Sogard (36)
Donovan Solano (34)
Pat Valaika (29)

That's just a bunch of cutable players

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That would be fine so long as they make a big move either at SP or OF.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

Free agent 2B's:

Second Basemen

Hanser Alberto (29)
Matt Carpenter (36)
Brandon Drury (29)
Marwin Gonzalez (33)
Josh Harrison (34)
Jose Iglesias (32)
Jed Lowrie (38)
Chris Owings (30)
Joe Panik (31)
Eric Sogard (36)
Donovan Solano (34)
Pat Valaika (29)

It feels like yesterday when everyone was pissing their pants why the Sox didn't go after Marwin Gonzalez when he wa a A FA.

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What 2B are off the board the last few days? 

Kiner-Falefa is. 

The good news is there's several options available. The bad news is that the best of them,  Harrison, was a 1.5 fWAR player last year, and most of them were 1 or worse.