Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I never quite understood how GMs / agents thought negotiating in the media would actually work, but now I know…

I mean, it's just a rumor. 

I'm just happy the Sox are finally being linked to someone instead of sitting on their collective asses. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm just happy the Sox are finally being linked to someone instead of sitting on their collective asses. 

Did you watch Hahn’s press conference?  He might as well had a giant boner coming out of his face when he was asked if there was a specific agent / player he called first when activity reopened.  He’s negotiating with Boras for something and all these leaks are part of that chess game.  Hahn is not sitting around on his ass no matter what is being leaked to the media.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Mets signed Starte, Canha and Escobar and pushed themselves up against the CBT in late November. The lockout started Dec. 2nd and just ended and now the Mets want salary relief. There wasn't time between when they made their FA signings and the time the lockout started to do anything with the Mets.

And you expect things are less busy now?

Just an example - Keuchel goes to the Mets. Yay, bad contract swap, except oops the white Sox now need like 40 starts from Lopez and Lambert if there are zero injuries. Not ideal! So we have to go sign a starter, and everyone else in the rotation is a righty so we’d love a lefty, maybe leaving Danny Duffy? This still feels like a problem.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Did you watch Hahn’s press conference?  He might as well had a giant boner coming out of his face when he was asked if there was a specific agent / player he called first when activity reopened.  He’s negotiating with Boras for something and all these leaks are part of that chess game.  Hahn is not sitting around on his ass no matter what is being leaked to the media.

Sounds like a medical problem 

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I actually prefer him as depth this year 

So would I, but if you could get McNeil for Lopez+ you could then go out and sign someone like McHugh to replace him.  This assumes you deal for another SP and make Keuchel your #6 starter.  Not sure why the Mets wouldn’t just sign McHugh in the first place though.

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think its a rumor it was more like Heyman saying McNeil seemed like a logical fit for us. We've been saying that for a while but McNeil had some run-ins with Lindor about his fielding and positioning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, macsandz said:

McNeil is a Swisher/Eaton hybrid who is a terrible fit for this squad in the clubhouse and that's a serious concern. 

That said he's a quality 2B/RF that hits from the left side who's available at a discount for the same reasons stated above. 

swish.jpg

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And you expect things are less busy now?

Just an example - Keuchel goes to the Mets. Yay, bad contract swap, except oops the white Sox now need like 40 starts from Lopez and Lambert if there are zero injuries. Not ideal! So we have to go sign a starter, and everyone else in the rotation is a righty so we’d love a lefty, maybe leaving Danny Duffy? This still feels like a problem.

That's why I structured the trade with the Mets the way I did. It left plenty of trade capital still on the Sox to trade for a pitcher. Not everything is going to come in one deal.

1 hour ago, macsandz said:

McNeil is a Swisher/Eaton hybrid who is a terrible fit for this squad in the clubhouse and that's a serious concern. 

That said he's a quality 2B/RF that hits from the left side who's available at a discount for the same reasons stated above. 

Have any info you can share?

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If they could get McNeil and Nimmo in one shot that would be awesome and that wouldn't tie us down long term in RF with Nimmo so if Colas is ready next year he can slide in. 

Colas, or Cespedes, Should not be a factor in any 22 decisions. 

that said, I’d love Nimmo. I’ve been crowing for him for years. My Conforto before Conforto. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So would I, but if you could get McNeil for Lopez+ you could then go out and sign someone like McHugh to replace him.  This assumes you deal for another SP and make Keuchel your #6 starter.  Not sure why the Mets wouldn’t just sign McHugh in the first place though.

CBT space perhaps about your question . If you remember the Mets said they wanted to get rid of some salary among their position players but guys like McNeil don't move the needle much in that regard. Ideally they would want to move McCann or Cano. The rest of their position players are guys like Marte, Escobar Lindor, Alonso and Canha All them either guys they just got or key pieces to them winning. That leaves the 1 yr left on Nimmo's contract $6M, McNeil's $2.5M , Dom SMith $3M and JD Davis $2.5M.

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's why I structured the trade with the Mets the way I did. It left plenty of trade capital still on the Sox to trade for a pitcher. Not everything is going to come in one deal.

So you don’t see any contradiction between sayin the Mets didn’t have time to do that kind of deal in November and expecting the white Sox to pull off 2 or more major trades in the next year week?

39 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The question is, who is he trying to get that is a Boras client? It could be anyone.

Edit: Oops, I thought Schwarber and Story were Boras clients. I guess it’s probably Conforto and wish it was Bryant.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Colas, or Cespedes, Should not be a factor in any 22 decisions. 

I’m honestly tired of hearing their names.  They mean nothing right now.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Anyone have a link to the presser? I’d love to watch 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

So you don’t see any contradiction between sayin the Mets didn’t have time to do that kind of deal in November and expecting the white Sox to pull off 2 or more major trades in the next year week?

I said the Sox didn't have time to do any deals with the Mets before the lockout and my "think big trade" comment to Jack Parkman was after he agreed with James Fox about not seeing how the Sox and Mets match up.

1) Kimbrel was a fucking disaster. Terrible trade at the time. Unbelievably bad outcome made worse by offerring the QO.

2) Rodon decision this offseason was BAD.

3) Trading assets for Bassit/Manea would be BAD. Somehow getting Frankie Montas would be insanely good (likely not realistic).

4) Not signing one of the elite bats would be BAD and is expected.

per typical white sox fashion to have a shitshow for an offseason/deadline. FO has a long history now of making bad decisions.

We will see what happens in the next 1-2 weeks here.. but im expecting a shit show.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's not about wanting Cano as using his contract to discount the McNeil price.

And not just McNeil since McNeil isn't getting paid much anyway . It's a way to get a lot more than McNeil, (prospects, Nimmo, Nido). AT least that's the way I structured my trade proposal with the Mets but everyone just focused on the Cano part of it. It wasn't a trade I expect to happen but it laid out a framework of what could possibly happen should the Sox eat all or a portion of the Cano contract. I didn't even consider Cano as a crucial player in the deal but crucial to making a bigger deal .